Thread: OHL Weekly Ramblings - May 16th

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default OHL Weekly Ramblings - May 16th

Congratulations to the OHL Champions Owen Sound Attack

Another fantastic OHL has come to an end in a thrilling atmosphere as the Owen Sound Attack defeated the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors in overtime of Game 7 of the OHL Championship Series to win the OHL’s Robinson Cup for the first time in Attack franchise history.

Congratulations to the Owen Sound Attack and their fantastic following of fans!

Video: Owen Attack raise Championship Trophy

Yahoo! Sports: Maidens' OT magic gives Attack first OHL crown

Neate Segar: Victory day (well, night) in Owen Sound (VIDEO)

Congratulations to all CHL Champions!

Congratulations to the QMJHL Champions - Saint John Sea Dogs

The Sea Dogs won the QMJHL Championship after scoring in double overtime of game six. Jonathon Huberdeau tied the game up with only 22 seconds remaining in the 3rd period to send it to overtime. Saint John features several top prospects expected to be drafted into the NHL when the Entry Draft rolls around June 24th. Jonathon Huberdeau, Nathan Beaulieu, Zach Phillips and Tomas Jurco could all end up being first round picks.

Yahoo! Sports Release

Congratulations to the WHL Champions - Kootenay Ice

The Kootenay Ice are the winners of the Ed Chynoweth Cup as the WHL Champions. Kootenay traded for star-forward Cody Eakins earlier in the season and it cost them five players and three draft picks but the price was worth it. Eakins was one of three Ice players (Max Reinhart and Matt Fraser) who finished in a seven-way tie for second in WHL Playoff scoring with 27 points and he was instrumental in defeating the mighty Portland Winterhawks in just five games.

Video and Photo Highlights

2011 OHL Playoff Round-Up

Robby Mignardi Recipient of the Wayne Gretzky 99 Award as the OHL's Playoff MVP

Robby Mignardi of the Owen Sound Attack was selected as the Most Valuable Player of the 2011 OHL Playoffs tying for the league-lead with 24 points including 15 goals and nine assists in 22 games.

Mignardi is a fifth year veteran of the OHL and is currently undrafted. Mignardi will definitely be an attractive piece for a professional club after his strong playoff run.

Leading Playoff Scorers
    1. Robby Mignardi (OSA/undrafted) 22 GP- 15G -9A -24P
    2. Joey Hishon (OSA/COL) 22GP -5G - 19A - 24P
    3. Tom Kuhnhackle (WSR/PIT) 18 GP - 11G - 12A - 23P
    4. Devante Smith-Pelly (MIS/ANA) 20 GP- 15G - 6A- 21P
    5. Garrett Wilson (OSA/FLA) 22GP - 11G - 10A - 21P
    [/size]

OHL Transactions and Rumours

Windsor Spitfires Sign Ben Johnson

The Windsor Spitfires have signed forward Ben Johnson shortly after going undrafted in the OHL Priority Selection Draft just over a week ago. Johnson scored 77 points in 30 games in high school earning him the 'Mr. Hockey Award'

Windsor Spitfires Press Release

Alessandro Seren Russo Tweet Re: Maxim Kitsyn (Mississauga Majors)

@AlexSerenRusso
    Maxim Kitsyn:"if nothing extraordinary happens, I'm gonna start the new season in the KHL”

I was not surprised with this news. Kitsyn is still very young and heading back to compete in the KHL is likely the preferred option of many Russian prospects over the AHL option.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 16, 2011 at 12:45 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

OHL 2011-12 Rookie Reports

Aaron Ekblad (Barrie Colts – D) Audio Interview

Nicholas Ritchie (Peterborough Petes – F)

Q & A Interview with Ritchie
    Video Highlights of Nicholas Ritchie (posted last week too)

Max Domi (Kingston Frontenacs – F)
    As mentioned last week, Max Domi will be the topic of discussion for hockey enthusiasts this upcoming summer. Domi has verbally committed to the NCAA (Michigan) and has publicly stated that he will play in the USHL. Kingston made a calculated gamble selecting Max Domi 8th overall in the OHL Priority Draft last week hoping that they could eventually get Domi to report. GM Doug Gilmour understood the risks involved and, more importantly, knew that his club would be compensated with a first round draft pick in the 2012 if Domi did not report. Furthermore, newly appointed Doug Gilmour was in the middle of revamping the Kingston scouting department and could have felt that the compensatory pick in 2012 might become more valuable to his club once “his” people were solidly in place.

It has been heavily reported that Kingston was in discussion with the London Knights as early as the OHL Draft about acquiring Max Domi’s rights and its now being speculated that once the September comes that we could see Max Domi become a London Knight joining fellow first rounder and Team Ontario teammate Bo Horvat. London owns a bunch of 2nd round draft picks in 2012 that could become part of the package in acquiring the rights to Max Domi but I can only assume that Mark Hunter would want Max Domi to commit (unofficially) to London before giving up those valuable picks.

Source: Domi to be dealt

2011 NHL Entry Draft Features

Draft Class Hierarchy Series Complete

In the past week, I finished the final two releases of my 2011 Draft Class Hierarchy series featuring the players I feel are the best for the 2011 NHL Entry Class. Be sure to check out all four parts of the series for an in-depth look at the future players of the NHL

[Part One] 2011 Draft Class Hierarchy
    [Part Two] 2011 Draft Class Hierarchy
    [Part Three] 2011 Draft Class Hierarchy
    [Final Recap] Draft Class Hierarchy : Final Cuts and Sleepers

[Part 1: 50-41] Top 50 OHL Players for the 2011 NHL Entry Draft

Ohlprospects.blogspot.com will be counting down the best of the OHL players for the upcoming NHL Entry Draft. Check out the 41st-50th ranked OHLers

NHL.com experts agree: Nugent-Hopkins first pick

The NHL.com experts have conducted their “mock drafts” and it appears that all of them have agreed on the first overall choice.

A Pro for Conz

Goaltender Benjamin Conz has been passed over in the past two NHL drafts but this brief article takes a look at his chances for the 2011 NHL Entry Draft in St. Paul, MN.

Prospect Pursuit: Max Friberg – How Swede it is

Friberg is currently ranked 16th among European skaters after receiving a 6th rank status at the mid-term reports. Check out the Hockeyspy’s Q &A with the small aggressive Swede.

DY’s Mock Draft Coming Soon

You can expect a mock draft coming from me once the final draft order has been determined.

Sarnia Sting Co-MVPs

On Friday Evening the Sarnia Sting held their annual awards ceremonies. Nail Yakupov and Alex Galchenyuk were co-recipients of the Rookie of the Year Award. Coach Letowski felt that Alex Galchenyuk was deserving (even though he finished with less points than Yakupov) simply because if Galchenyuk played for any other team than Sarnia he would have been their Rookie of the Year, including the entire CHL.

I might also add that Galchenyuk was so strong defensively that he was one of Sarnia’s best shutdown forwards as well.

Award Winners

Nail Yakupov – Most Valuable Player, Rookie of the Year (co-recipient),

Alex Galchenyuk – Rookie of the Year (co-recipient), Commitment to Conditioning (co-recipient)

Nathan Chiarlitti (captain) – Humanitarian of the Year, RBC Scholastic Player of the Year

Joe Rogalski (Penguins draft pick) – Defenseman of the Year

Daniel Broussard – Commitment to Conditioning (co-recipient)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

OHL Mini-Camps Underway

Now that the OHL Priority Selection draft is behind us, many OHL teams have invited their franchise prospects to participate in Mini-Camps. These mini-camps are used to evaluate the prospects in each OHL teams system to determine who will be invited to participate in the main camps come September. The newly drafted players are brought into town with their families for a formal introduction, a tour of the city and an on-ice evaluation.

I made the trip into Sarnia to catch the prospect scrimmage for the Sarnia Sting and was quite impressed with the game. Neither of Sarnia’s top two picks (Ryan Kujawinski and Anthony DeAngelo) were playing in the scrimmage but Davis Brown (Sarnia’s 3rd Round selection) looked great. Brown had 73 goals last season. 73! There were several walk-on (not drafted) players who impressed me that should get an invite into the main camp. The walk-ons are always the feel-good story of these walk-ons. These camps are FREE.

Video: Introbucing the 2011 Sarnia Sting Draft Class

Sarnia Sting: A Successful Mini-Camp

Other OHL Mini-Camps

Barrie Colts (May 12)
    London Knights (May 21-22)
    Kitchener Rangers (May 13-15)
    Oshawa Generals (May 13-14) Day One Recap, Day Two Recap

I will post more camps as they are announced.

OHL News Tendencies Reflected by Geographical Location

Just a heads up, I am local to Sarnia so don’t be surprised if you should always expect more Sarnia news (same goes with London and Windsor). Due to my proximity, I will always be exposed to more Western Conference OHL news but I will try my best to dig up Eastern Conference news as well.

OHL Offseason Ramblings and CHL Memorial Cup Ramblings

Now that the OHL Champions have been determined, this edition (May 16th) will be the final release of the Ramblings in a “weekly format”. However, I will post an OHL OFFSEASON RAMBLINGS thread in the OHL Section where I will post relevant information throughout the off-season/summer

In addition, the CHL Memorial Cup gets underway this Friday and I will be following that closely. There will be a CHL Memorial Cup Thread posted in the OHL section for everyone to follow along and partake in discussion.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Thanks from Dean Youngblood
    I want to personally thank everyone who followed the Ramblings each and every week for your support. This was the first year that these ramblings were available and I must admit that I LOVED writing them as it was a learning experience for me as well. I appreciate the discussions that I have had on teams and players in the ramblings and answering your questions was a privilege for me. The OHL Weekly Ramblings took me anywhere from an hour to 2+ hours to compose each week so I hope that each of you learned a little about junior hockey in Canada along the way, specifically the Ontario Hockey League.
    In my opinion, junior hockey is some of the best hockey you can watch and learning the teams and players involved makes the experience that much more enjoyable. Canadian Junior Hockey needs your support and I look forward to keeping you as informed as possible in the future.
    Thanks again,
    Brendan Ross (Dean Youngblood)

The Great One

excellent Ramblings as always, DY. I definitely enjoyed them all season and hope you pick it up again next year.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Jarrod Maidens Named OHL Player of the Week

The Ontario Hockey League today announced that Owen Sound Attack rookie forward Jarrod Maidens is the OHL Player of the Week for the playoff week-ending May 15 scoring three goals in the final three games of the Rogers OHL Championship Series.
    Maidens played the hero last night scoring a goal in regulation and another one just minutes into overtime to give Owen Sound the Championship.

Maidens, a 17-year-old from Grimsby, ON, was selected fourth overall by the Attack in the 2010 OHL Priority Selection. He finished the playoffs with 10 points in 22 games after producing 21 points in 47 regular season games this season

Dobber Sports Initiate

Saw game 7 live at the Hershey Center and it was a beauty. There was more Owen Sound Attack fans there than Major fans which is impressive because I think Owen Sound is the smallest Town/City in the OHL.

The Hershey Center is an awesome arena. Our seats were 18 rows up behind the bench and the view was perfect. For 28 bucks for my ticket I was quite impressed.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Thanks for all the great ramblings Dean.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut