Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: OHL Priority Selection Draft Thread

The Great One

I love Windsor's top three picks...

Maletta at 1/13....Dekort at 2/8 and Smith at 2/17

Hunter Smith a Windsor native, growed up playing for the Junior Spits, is 6'5 200lbs at 15 years old....wow

Dekort is a great goalie prospect

and Maletta should be a star

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Garlent is a very talented player, just small. He's really gonna have to beef up from his listed 150lbs.

With Guelph's need for some size and there need for depth at the center position, I can not believe they passed on Maletta.

Guelph has made 11 picks so far, 2 goalies, 1 defenceman and 8 forwards. I know GM Mike Kelly said they would be looking for a forward but damn.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

P.S. In the fourth, Guelph drafted Tyler Bertuzzi. Does anyone know if he has any relation to Todd?

EDIT: Nvm, found out he's Todd's nephew. Would be a great if he makes the team because everyone in Guelph remembers how great it was having Todd play here.
    Last edited by StormSurge24; May 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I can't wait to SpeCulate. Going to have to wait until mornimg after a long day of golf

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

OHL Completes Priority Selection

302 players were selected including 166 forwards, 103 defencemen, and 33 goaltenders. Players were chosen from 91 different teams with the Ontario Minor Hockey Association leading the way with 95 players selected from 23 different teams including 10 from the York Simcoe Express. The Greater Toronto Hockey League had 70 players selected from 11 different teams including a draft-high 13 from the OHL Cup Showcase Tournament Champion Toronto Marlboros, while the Don Mills Flyers who finished second in the OHL Cup had 12 players selected. 49 players were chosen from 32 different programs based in the United States including eight players from Detroit Honeybaked. 46 players were selected from 11 different teams from the ALLIANCE led by their league champion Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs with 10. 23 players were selected from five different teams in the Ottawa District Minor Hockey Association including six from each of the Ottawa Senators and the Ottawa Valley Titans. In the Northern Ontario Hockey Association, 11 players were chosen from three different teams including six from the Sudbury Minor Midget Wolves. The Thunder Bay Kings had five players selected from the six in total that represented Hockey Northwestern Ontario, while four other players were chosen from various other hockey programs in Canada. A total of 147 players selected competed in the 2011 OHL Cup Showcase Tournament.

OHL Draft Class of 2011: Top 10 Picks - Good breakdown of their talents

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Sarnia Sting 2011 Draft Selections

Sarnia entered the draft with a high pick and decided to select Ryan Kujawinski. The Sting were in a desperate need of defenseman and that reflected in them selecting five defenseman in their first 8 picks. The Sarnia Sting had one of the better drafts of any OHL team.

1st Rd - Ryan Kujawinski (C - Sudbury Wolves MM)
    2nd Rd - Anthony DeAngelo (D- Cedar Rapids)
    3rd Rd - Davis Brown (LW - Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs)
    4th Rd - Braxton Andrews (D -Toronto Marlboros)
    4th Rd - Daniel Nikandrov (LW - Markham Majors)
    5th Rd - Thomas Welsh (D - Salisbury Prep)
    8th Rd - Michael Downing (D - Catholic Central)
    8th Rd - Matt Cimenta (D - Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs)
    9th Rd - Gunner Rivers (G - Ottawa Jr. 67s)
    10th Rd - Tyler Motte (C - Detroit Honeybaked U16's
    11th Rd - Billy Exell (RW - Thunder Bay Kings)
    12th Rd - Mikey Soucier (LW - Mississauga Senators)
    12th Rd - Justice Dundas (RW - Markham Majors)
    13th Rd - Alex Talcott (C - Detroit Honeybaked U16's)
    15th Rd - Nicolas Sproviero (C - St. Catharines Falcons)

Video explaining the Ryan Kujawinski

Video explaining the Anthony DeAngelo pick (I love this pick for Sarnia)

Video explaining Sarnia's 3rd, 4th and 5th Round Picks (Brown, Andrews, Nikandrov and Welsh)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyGuru View Post
    Ritchie does indeed go second.

Surprised to see Nurse drafted before any other forward.

Glad Belleville took Jordan Subban....how could they not?

Not surprised Kingston drafted Domi.....now we'll see if he really goes to the NCAA or not.....

Your Sting took Kujawinski, who you weren't too high on.....thoughts Dean..?

I think Windsor picking up Maletta at 13 was great value....

Guelph go after skill and select Garlent with the #10..must have been high on him....tricky little player,
    Not surprised to see Nurse taken 3rd overall. He has star potential and could easily end up being better than Ekblad

I was also surprised to see Maletta fall so far in the draft. He's a steal for Windsor

Garlent is a huge offensive talent and Guelph needed that kind of player

Re: Ryan Kujawinski, I wasn't necessarily "not high on him" but I was cautious about him simply because he came out of nowhere this year. However, kids can explode onto the scene like that in a short period of time. A lot of scouts were extremely high on him. I haven't seen too much of him so I will be excited to see what he brings to the Sting. The Sting were seriously considering Subban and Bo Horvat with their 4th overall pick. I was EXTREMELY impressed with the Sting's draft. Maybe more teams should draft without a General Manager in place.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 8, 2011 at 1:08 PM.

Banned

I heard that DeAngelo guy might not report.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

All signs point to DeAngelo reporting but there is that possibility.

Traditionally, Sarnia isn't that attractive of a place to play in but with Yakupov and Galchenyuk playing here, players will be exposed to a TONNE of scouts. Scouts = Attractive City

Max Domi just tweeted that he doesn't plan on playing for Kingston and that he will head to the USHL next season. He deleted his tweet shortly after posting it.
    @max_domi
    @jjmarks16 naw man im not playing for kingston...heading down to the ushl and playing for inde i think
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 8, 2011 at 7:14 PM.

Banned

Great pick Kingston! haha

The Great One

it is a great pick.....

if any first rounder doesnt show they get compensated with a first round the following year

well worth the risk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyGuru View Post
    it is a great pick.....

if any first rounder doesnt show they get compensated with a first round the following year

well worth the risk
    Well I'd rather have the first this year to improve my team somewhat in the short term. Everyone knew Domi wouldn't play for an OHL team.

The Great One

I thought for sure Gilmour and Domi (Tie, that is) had some sort of "insider" agreement that Max would play there. We see this all the time. Kids say they will go to the NCAA, teams with the early picks pass on them, and then some team with a pick later on grabs them and, oh guess what, they change their minds and decide to play in the CHL.