Thread: atlanta\'s rearguard\'s

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default atlanta\'s rearguard\'s

who\'s going to crack the squad and man the qb on the pp...
    i keep hearing that it\'s going to be popovic
    but could it be oystrick or denny..?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re:atlanta\'s rearguard\'s

I was actually asking myself a similar question yesterday when I saw that the big 6\'7\'\' Boris Valabik didn\'t play a game yet.

Atlanta is still looking for a true powerplay rearguard, and possibly wait until July 1st.

I think that one of the prospects mentionnned will crack the lineup as the #6 defense, or close to it, in September.
    QHL Stanley Cup champion 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09
    www.thephysicsofhockey.com

Dobber Sports Apprentice

2007-08 is the best chance a lot of prospects will have to crack the Atlanta blueline. Greg De Vries, Andy Sutton and Shane Hnidy are UFA, and Steve McCarthy and Garnet Exelby are RFA.

Of those, Hindy and McCarthy will likely be allowed to walk, leaving the blueline looking like this:

Alexei Zhitnik
    Niclas Havelid
    Andy Sutton
    Garnet Exelby
    Greg De Vries
    ?
    ?

As mentioned, fighting for spots are Mark Popovic, Chad Denny, Nathan Oystrick and Boris Valabik. Andrei Zubarev, Jim Sharrow and Grant Lewis are darkhorses to make the squad.

Popovic and Oystrick have the obvious advantage due to the need for rushing rearguards. Denny has yet to debut at the pro level, and while I could see him playing some games in the show this year, he likely won\'t start off in the NHL.

The two had near-identical numbers and have near-identical readiness. I\'d slot them both in, with the better performer getting the bulk of the playing time. I think it\'ll be Oystrick- he\'s both mean and offensively gifted, with Dobber rightfully comparing him to Kevin Bieksa.

Zhitnik-Havelid
    Sutton-De Vries
    Exelby-Oystrick/Popovic

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

ouch, it might be a tough year in Atlanta, especially if Zhitnik is your best offensive D-man..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Stud

The cupboard is looking very bare. The Tkachuk deal hasn\'t made the outlook any brighter.

Dobber Sports Stud

Popovic has a one-way contract for 2007-08, so expect to see him get at least a shot at the QB position, and to stay on Atlanta\'s roster all season.

Kid has wheels and a good shot, I think he\'ll at least do well enough to man the #2 unit.
    T.G.