Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Magnus Paajarvi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Boy, that was close, 2 members I have a great deal of respect for almost "went over the side" as they say. Glad to see you worked it out with honor intact. With some of the offensive, confrontational posts I've seen in my short time here it was good to see this one come out on a positive note.

Rep coming to both you guys, good role modeling for others to see how easily this stuff can go the wrong way and how to make it right again.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Hooray for conflict resolution.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Agreed, and not gonna lie i found it hilarious how you guys were constantly one post behind each other...i've been following this thread from the beginning and i found it quite entertaining
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    The guy's 20 not 40. Easier to recover from an injury like that when you're young. He's rehabbed it enough and it took like 2 seasons for him to return to form. He should be good to go. He never rushed back or anything like that. Guaranteeing he will have at least 2 more significant injuries within 5 years is illogical. There's a risk but it's not guaranteed to happen.
    he has rehabbed it of some sorts but my point is its his knees. its not a broken wrist or ankle where you can throw a cast on and call it a day. its the muscles in the player that are damaged and are slowly going weaken throughout time
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    lol...glad to see MD and I are fodder for your entertainment trough...too funny.

Yeah no harm, i know I can get a bit....uhhhh, how shall we say...cheeky from time to time, but it was really no big whoop. I am very seldom angry or take anything too personally on this site.

It's just a fantasy hockey blog afterall. A damn good fantasy hockey blog, mind you, but a fantasy hockey nonetheless. I still have to work in the morning and pay my bills.

Besides MD knows I have nothing but respect for him, ultimately. He's such a scamp!

EDIT: Paajarvi with the only Oilers goal last night. Heh-he...had to get that in there again.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Expert

I'm totally late to the party on this one.

Granted Michalek had some success with San Jose, so did Cheecho. I think Michalek on a good team is a better Michalek than on a bad team.

Michalek's plus/minus is awful. and he has 32 points this season.

MPS, I think will be a more consistent player regardless of the team he plays for. For a rookie on a truly awful team, he is doing quite well IMO. I think it speaks a lot to where his production will end up in the future.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by diamondback87 View Post
    he has rehabbed it of some sorts but my point is its his knees. its not a broken wrist or ankle where you can throw a cast on and call it a day. its the muscles in the player that are damaged and are slowly going weaken throughout time
    Meh I'm not concerned. They wouldn't have picked him if they though it was a huge issue.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gaborlick View Post
    I'm totally late to the party on this one.

Granted Michalek had some success with San Jose, so did Cheecho. I think Michalek on a good team is a better Michalek than on a bad team.

Michalek's plus/minus is awful. and he has 32 points this season.

MPS, I think will be a more consistent player regardless of the team he plays for. For a rookie on a truly awful team, he is doing quite well IMO. I think it speaks a lot to where his production will end up in the future.
    LOL who cares about +/-, first of all. Paajarvi's is the same BTW, but I could care less about that stat.

comparing Michalek to Cheechoo is just dumb, sorry...and again, I'm not specifically comparing the two, but the comparison will look better in 5 years. Give it time.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    lol...glad to see MD and I are fodder for your entertainment trough...too funny.

Yeah no harm, i know I can get a bit....uhhhh, how shall we say...cheeky from time to time, but it was really no big whoop. I am very seldom angry or take anything too personally on this site.

It's just a fantasy hockey blog afterall. A damn good fantasy hockey blog, mind you, but a fantasy hockey nonetheless. I still have to work in the morning and pay my bills.

Besides MD knows I have nothing but respect for him, ultimately. He's such a scamp!

EDIT: Paajarvi with the only Oilers goal last night. Heh-he...had to get that in there again.
    HA! Yeah, what a scamp, I am.

Enlighten me, what is a scamp even?

Also Paajarvi is living the dream right now. No Hall, no Penner, no Hemsky. He's got the green light. Damn shame it won't be like this for his whole career.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    HA! Yeah, what a scamp, I am.

Enlighten me, what is a scamp even?

Also Paajarvi is living the dream right now. No Hall, no Penner, no Hemsky. He's got the green light. Damn shame it won't be like this for his whole career.
    lol..playfully mischievious. Hmmmm...maybe that's more me than you.

Anywhoooo....you bring up something I completely failed to consider insofar as Hall, Hemsky.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Expert

LOL who cares about +/-, first of all. Paajarvi's is the same BTW, but I could care less about that stat.

comparing Michalek to Cheechoo is just dumb, sorry...and again, I'm not specifically comparing the two, but the comparison will look better in 5 years. Give it time.
    Well when calling someone a defensive player or a successful two way forward, I think plus minus can be a factor. If we are talking more about the player as a whole and not fantasy relevance, I think it is important to consider, relevance of the team play and the players position on that team. Michalek is in his 6th year with 32 points and a -12, MPS is a rookie with similar stats. You are telling me that in 6 years, MPS will be in the same relative stats position?

I wasn't comparing Michalek to Cheechoo. I am using an example that the team a player is on, or who they are playing with can greatly affect the production of a player. The situation in San Jose was MUCH better than Ottawa and I think his numbers were inflated by the players around him in the same way Cheechoo scored 50 goals playing with Thornton. Apparently, Ottawa is where San Jose players do to die.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gaborlick View Post
    Well when calling someone a defensive player or a successful two way forward, I think plus minus can be a factor. If we are talking more about the player as a whole and not fantasy relevance, I think it is important to consider, relevance of the team play and the players position on that team. Michalek is in his 6th year with 32 points and a -12, MPS is a rookie with similar stats. You are telling me that in 6 years, MPS will be in the same relative stats position?

I wasn't comparing Michalek to Cheechoo. I am using an example that the team a player is on, or who they are playing with can greatly affect the production of a player. The situation in San Jose was MUCH better than Ottawa and I think his numbers were inflated by the players around him in the same way Cheechoo scored 50 goals playing with Thornton. Apparently, Ottawa is where San Jose players do to die.
    Cheechoo was dead before he got to Ottawa lol, it was obvious that it was just a throw in for the Sharks to shed salary. As for Cheechoo, he was helped by Thornton but it's exaggerated IMO. He was still a very good player, hustled all the time, and had a great shot. His injuries did him in, that's it.

Milan Michalek has scored the same number of goals than when he was in San Jose, for the most part (23 goal pace this season). He got more assists in San Jose because of his teammates, but the goal scoring is still there, and the two-way play and penalty killing. Doesn't matter how good you are on D if you're overall team is bad. You're +/- will always be bad for the most part. Look at Ryan Callahan last season.

There is a chance that MPS could end up being a 25 goal scorer who doesn't get a ton of assists. Who knows really? If Edmonton continues to be shit, then his numbers will reflect that.

As for that last bolded part, I guess the opposite is true when you talk about Dany Heatley.

Dobber Sports Genius

Today, we can say that we have recognized that Michalek is a first round bust in terms of becoming an offensive star. There is absolutely ZERO reason for us tO think Pajaarvi is going down that same road based on his rookie season. No reason whatsoever. I am starting to think tha BIG EV maybe has Pajaarvi confused with another oiler when watching. He wears #91 EV...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    Today, we can say that we have recognized that Michalek is a first round bust in terms of becoming an offensive star. There is absolutely ZERO reason for us tO think Pajaarvi is going down that same road based on his rookie season. No reason whatsoever. I am starting to think tha BIG EV maybe has Pajaarvi confused with another oiler when watching. He wears #91 EV...
    And there's not much reason to definitely say he will become an offensive star either. You can't know that with 100% confidence. Do you think every single prospect gets better every season and there are NO guys who disappoint? All I'm seeing in this thread is HOPE that we will hit his projections. Just like every other freaking prospect that hits the NHL.

Remember Marcus Nilson? That guy was supposed to be an amazing star in the league and he was amazing offensively over in Sweden. Look where he is now.

Sorry, I watch Paajarvi and don't think of star. I think of solid second-liner who will be a good goal scorer and reliable. I'm just advising people to lower their expectation on Paajarvi. The Edmonton prospect hype is wild now...not every single one of their players will become stars.

Dobber Sports Expert

Sorry, I watch Paajarvi and don't think of star. I think of solid second-liner who will be a good goal scorer and reliable. I'm just advising people to lower their expectation on Paajarvi. The Edmonton prospect hype is wild now...not every single one of their players will become stars.
    I definitely agree with you here. I think there is just cause to say that he might not be the player he is hyped to be right now. The same can also be said for any rookie, Hall or Eberle or even Seguin.

MPS does look invisible for lots of his ice team and that is very frustrating as an owner. I think we can see decent things out of him, far and above what we have seen out of Michalek.

As for plus minus, it is such an unpredictable category. Who would have thought Lidstrom with 60+ points would be a minus player. Is he worse defensively? I say yes. I think some bad plays by him and other members of his lines are making bad plays. Like I said, the better the team overall, the better the plus minus. It is a team stat afterall and sometimes I wonder if it has a place in fantasy hockey as a relevant stat. That is a whole other conversation.

My point with adding plus/minus to the discussion was to show the similarity between the team they play on, the point in their careers and how it is hard to say he will follow a similar path.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper