Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Magnus Paajarvi

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by diamondback87 View Post
    im gonna have to disagree with this one. knees arent the type of things that just get better after rehab or surgery. a mcl sprain and a high grade injury to the acl is gonna only get worse as time goes on. he might be able to play a couple more years injury free but i guarantee within 5 years he will have atleast 2 more significant injuries to that same knee
    The guy's 20 not 40. Easier to recover from an injury like that when you're young. He's rehabbed it enough and it took like 2 seasons for him to return to form. He should be good to go. He never rushed back or anything like that. Guaranteeing he will have at least 2 more significant injuries within 5 years is illogical. There's a risk but it's not guaranteed to happen.
    Last edited by Big Ev; April 6, 2011 at 5:42 PM.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

We I looked at this thread this morning and there were 2 replies. Now there's 7 pages? I'm going to have to read through this once I'm
    Home.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Michalek had more goals and points in his rookie year.
    Michalek's rookie year come almost 2 full years later than Pajaarvi's based on age, so this is not a comparison of them at the same age. Even if it was, i now see the problem with your evaluations-numbers give an indication, but there are so many intangibles, that WATCHING them is the truest test. Michalek, in his rookie was far more insulated on a better team with better players. I still can't see how these two players are comparable.

My initial post was merely from a fantasy perspective, in an attempt to give some props to one of my prospects for his recent production.

MD made a post....I may have misinterpreted....that seemed to imply Paajarvi's rookie year was sufficient t conclude that he would wind up w/ Michalek-like numbers or style of play.

My reply to MD was meant to convey the notion that I would be reluctant to make any such conclusions based on 77 games, in addition to his scouting reports coming into the league.

That's how we wound up on the whole Michalek-kick.
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    You have his future written after 77 games? Impressive.

He's had to focus on improving his defensive play, no doubt. This may have set him back somewhat offensively (especially in the first half), but to suggest this evidences his evolution into a two-way, 60 point forward at this point in his extremely brief NHL career is quite the quantum leap...if you ask me.
    Putting words in my mouth now Bomm? If anything that's the more impressive feat here. Not once did I mention anything about upside, nor did I give an estimation of what production he'd put forth. I just said keep the expectations modest because he's developing a two-way game.

My reasoning, not that you asked but rather tried to show me up is that I like his potential to play a two way game and behind Hall-Eberle that suits his game best. I also know that he has great chemistry with Oiler draft pick, fellow Swede and former teammate Anton Lander. Now if Edmonton decides to get the gang back together that puts Paajarvi on a second or maybe even a third line.

One thing I know the Oilers need is size up front in their top 6. Now let's assume for a second that the Oilers manage to keep Hemsky. That means three of your top 6 winger slots are spoken for. Add a power winger to that mix, which the Oilers should, and Paajarvi is left on the third line. Not the fate they had planned and I bet he even makes Hemsky expendable at some point but maybe he just winds up one of those speed wingers who evolves the other direction.

One player he's been compared to is Hossa. Hossa is an amazing two-way player who got free reign early in his career and maxed out his potential. It doesn't look like Paajarvi will get that shot in Edmonton so rather than blowing up for some monster seasons he may wind up more like the Detroit Hossa or the Chicago Hossa, who scores good amounts but doesn't blow anyone out of the water.

As for Paajarvi becoming a 60 point player. Is that really such a terrible fate? NHL teams and fantasy teams alike need those players. And there are plenty of 60 point guys like Jason Pominville for instance who reach up for a season or two and notch 80. 60 points lands you at 44th in the league in scoring.

Sorry, I just don't understand why you took such issue with my post that you'd throw me under the bus with your sarcasm and throw words in mouth like this. I love you Bomm, I hope you know that, but you just pulled the ellusive head up ass, foot in mouth combo and it pissed me right off.

Now I haven't read the rest of this thread and it's bloody freaking long so maybe you caught yourself at some point, wouldn't put it past you but right now I'm running on pure rage-ohol!
    Last edited by metaldude26; April 6, 2011 at 7:07 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

My initial post was merely from a fantasy perspective, in an attempt to give some props to one of my prospects for his recent production.

MD made a post....I may have misinterpreted....that seemed to imply Paajarvi's rookie year was sufficient t conclude that he would wind up w/ Michalek-like numbers or style of play.

My reply to MD was meant to convey the notion that I would be reluctant to make any such conclusions based on 77 games, in addition to his scouting reports coming into the league.

That's how we wound up on the whole Michalek-kick.
    And there it is... welp, that's what happens when you be sipping rage-ohol.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I almost wish I hadn't read this thread haha.

Not going to bother arguing with anyone but just like to state my view here:

Paajarvi has 85-90 point upside, no doubt in my mind. However, I'm not saying he ever reaches that. If he stays on the Oilers with Hall and plays 2nd or even 3rd line I see him more around the 60-70 point range (less if 3rd obviously).

I also don't see how anyone could say they'd rather have Cowen/Kadri/Glennie than Paajarvi.

He wasn't rushed into the NHL. If anything you can argue that Edmonton wanted him to play in the AHL or wherever this year in order to space out the contracts but he played his way on to the team. Not to mention .42 points per game is hardly a poor performance for a player playing his first year in North America with limited ice time. I'd say it's impressive more than disappointing.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Wow. Well for the record I'm a Sens and Oilers fan.

Magnus is definitely the sexy pick here - over Cowen, Michalek, Kadri, etc...

Who will go on to have the best career? Who knows. It might not even be a unanimous decision when it's all said and done because every player brings something different to the table. But he is the sexy pick for good reason and as fans (and fantasy GMs) we can't help but gravitate towards the most exciting, offensive players. As fun as it is to play "real hockey GM" and all, it's a hypothetical scenario anyways and even then every GM sees different things in each player and is looking for a different type of player for their respective teams so I doubt there'd be a unanimous decision here.

But if there was, it'd be Magnus
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    And there it is... welp, that's what happens when you be sipping rage-ohol.

Me???? Dude, you misunderstand, I'm anything but mad. Just tryin to get my fat head around your original post is all. Nuthin more...nothin less.
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

Me???? Dude, you misunderstand, I'm anything but mad. Just tryin to get my fat head around your original post is all. Nuthin more...nothin less.
    No, I was sippin' rage-ohol, you recanted and I didn't see it til after my previous post.

Putting words in my mouth now Bomm? If anything that's the more impressive feat here. Not once did I mention anything about upside, nor did I give an estimation of what production he'd put forth. I just said keep the expectations modest because he's developing a two-way game.

My reasoning, not that you asked but rather tried to show me up is that I like his potential to play a two way game and behind Hall-Eberle that suits his game best. I also know that he has great chemistry with Oiler draft pick, fellow Swede and former teammate Anton Lander. Now if Edmonton decides to get the gang back together that puts Paajarvi on a second or maybe even a third line.

One thing I know the Oilers need is size up front in their top 6. Now let's assume for a second that the Oilers manage to keep Hemsky. That means three of your top 6 winger slots are spoken for. Add a power winger to that mix, which the Oilers should, and Paajarvi is left on the third line. Not the fate they had planned and I bet he even makes Hemsky expendable at some point but maybe he just winds up one of those speed wingers who evolves the other direction.

One player he's been compared to is Hossa. Hossa is an amazing two-way player who got free reign early in his career and maxed out his potential. It doesn't look like Paajarvi will get that shot in Edmonton so rather than blowing up for some monster seasons he may wind up more like the Detroit Hossa or the Chicago Hossa, who scores good amounts but doesn't blow anyone out of the water.

As for Paajarvi becoming a 60 point player. Is that really such a terrible fate? NHL teams and fantasy teams alike need those players. And there are plenty of 60 point guys like Jason Pominville for instance who reach up for a season or two and notch 80. 60 points lands you at 44th in the league in scoring.

Sorry, I just don't understand why you took such issue with my post that you'd throw me under the bus with your sarcasm and throw words in mouth like this. I love you Bomm, I hope you know that, but you just pulled the ellusive head up ass, foot in mouth combo and it pissed me right off.

Now I haven't read the rest of this thread and it's bloody freaking long so maybe you caught yourself at some point, wouldn't put it past you but right now I'm running on pure rage-ohol!
    MD, you took offense to my response? You have issues bud. Put your ego in check brother...I explicitly stated that I may have misinterpreted your response in an attempt to gain clarification.

Which is more than you afforded me....
    @SmittysRant

No, I was sippin' rage-ohol, you recanted and I didn't see it til after my previous post.
    Oh well...then disregard my post below.
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

Oh well...then disregard my post below.
    Yeah we're both like one post behind, LOL. Water under the bridge now.

Yeah we're both like one post behind, LOL. Water under the bridge now.
    Yeah, you know I have much respect for ya.
    @SmittysRant

Guess who had the only Oilers goal vs Kipper?

Uh-huh....you got it.
    @SmittysRant