Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Magnus Paajarvi

Dobber Sports Genius

I just don't understand how someone could have watched these two players (Pajaarvi and Mihalek) at similar ages and figure they are comparable. Only thier top end speed id comparable. IMO.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    MPS could project into a player LIKE him.
    He certainly can.

On the other hand, he could project into a player like Anze Kopitar as well. The fact is, it's way too early to tell. But your opinion is as valid as anyone's.

However, watching both of these guys play I think it's obvious that MPS has more raw talent - but talent is only a % of the reason a player will end up a star or not in the NHL.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    oke, so that's your opinion and that's fine...
    But the chances of him developing into Michalek 2.0 are much smaller, than him developing into Hossa 2.0

Again, just by watching him play
    Hossa was a defensive machine who could also put up 90-100 in his prime. I won't guaranteed anything else, but I will guarantee that he doesn't become a Hossa 2.0. Maybe close, but not exactly.

Paajarvi is invisible half the time I watch the Oilers. All after that amazing pre-season game he had.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    I just don't understand how someone could have watched these two players (Pajaarvi and Mihalek) at similar ages and figure they are comparable. Only thier top end speed id comparable. IMO.
    Michalek had more goals and points in his rookie year.

Banned

Let's bring up this thread in 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    Exactly what I was trying to convey earlier. Michalek was lauded for his all-around game, coming into the draft. Paajarvi was allllllllll offense.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Legend

Paajarvi is invisible half the time I watch the Oilers. All after that amazing pre-season game he had.
    I can't disagree with this. But, how many players break into the NHL at 19 straight from the SEL and dominate without any adjustment time (or AHL games) in North America?

Hossa broke into the NHL at 19 and put up 31 points in 67GP (over 2 seasons - while 19 and 20 years old).

Forsberg didn't enter the NHL until he was 21; Alfredsson was 24; Sundin was 20 (and only put up 59 points). Heck, Naslund was 21 and only scored 11 points in 71GP as a rookie.

Even if we look at the twins - they were 20 years old and Daniel scored 34 points in 75GP, Henrik scored 29 points in 82GP. To compare, MPS has 32 points in 77GP (which is on par with Daniel).

I understand what you are saying, because Paajarvi is no star yet, but perhaps you expected too much? Not everyone will be a Crosby, Malkin or Skinner right off the bat.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Ace

i still feel mps was a steal at 10th. personally i would rather have a fast 2way scoring winger than a defensive dman with knee issues at a really young age
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP

Banned

Just because they rushed him into the league because they had no other options doesn't meant he truly broke into the NHL.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by diamondback87 View Post
    i still feel mps was a steal at 10th. personally i would rather have a fast 2way scoring winger than a defensive dman with knee issues at a really young age
    LOL those "knee issues" led this defensive d-man to score 18 goals and rack up 30 assists this season. His knee issued aren't a concern anymore. You're telling me the Oilers don't need a stud 6.5 220 d-man (if they don't get Larsson)?

Dobber Sports Ace

Just because they rushed him into the league because they had no other options doesn't meant he truly broke into the NHL.
    ahh im pretty sure they didnt rush him into the nhl. he is on the team this year because he played his way on it. they were willing to send him down to the ahl for a year. i dont think we would of had him play on the 3rd line if he wasnt ready. he has also shown this year that with more ice time he could become that 65-75pt player that he was being hyped up for in his draft year
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

Dobber Sports Ace

LOL those "knee issues" led this defensive d-man to score 18 goals and rack up 30 assists this season. His knee issued aren't a concern anymore. You're telling me the Oilers don't need a stud 6.5 220 d-man (if they don't get Larsson)?
    im gonna have to disagree with this one. knees arent the type of things that just get better after rehab or surgery. a mcl sprain and a high grade injury to the acl is gonna only get worse as time goes on. he might be able to play a couple more years injury free but i guarantee within 5 years he will have atleast 2 more significant injuries to that same knee

LW-Rakell
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

Dobber Sports Genius

But they didn't want to rush him and had many other options.

Hall Ebs and Pajaarvi were all rookie eligible and the oilers wanted to avoid having all three contracts come up for renewal in the same season. Also, with Hall and Penner on the LW, most pundidts agreed that he would be better served in the AHL or back in the SEL. Dobber predicted he would only play 9 games. It was his skill that won him a spot.

And even now, when he does receive top six minutes, he produces quite decently for a 20 year old on a crap team.

Dobber Sports Stud

In what league? Last I checked WHL points don't count for a thing in the NHL. While we're on the d-man topic though, I'd rather have had Ellis who was picked after MPS than Cowen.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold View Post
    In what league? Last I checked WHL points don't count for a thing in the NHL. While we're on the d-man topic though, I'd rather have had Ellis who was picked after MPS than Cowen.
    They don't count for a thing in the NHL but it shows his knee problems are a thing of the past. Plus the guy was one of Canada's most dependable players at the WJ. He would have made the Sens this season if not for a logjam of one-way deals on D.

Ellis is a good D-man too but I would rather have Cowen for Ottawa at least. Cowen was supposed to be a Top 3 pick before he was injured. Top 5 at least.