Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnus Paajarvi

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    If Paajarvi tops-off at 60 points I'd eat a cup of fingernails.
    lol..nice. I want in.

If Paajarvi tops off at 60, I'll spend a night with that nightmarish cougar, dancing queen in your other thread....and a bottle of tequila.
    @SmittysRant

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Don't look too much into Big EV's comparison to Michalek... He sees everything to senators glasses...

Michalek is one of the most OVERRATED players in the league

MPS will be better than Michalek it's not even a contest..
    First of all, I said San Jose version of Milan Michalek.

Second of all, you do realize that Milan Michalek was actually picked higher than Paajarvi in his respective draft? How is it "not even a contest"? Michalek was supposed to be a much better scorer than he is, he was a sixth overall pick.

PS. Didn't you say you only liked hockey for like 10 years or something? What would you know about player development and such, really. You see everything with Preds galsses so don't be a ****ing hypocrite.

Banned

do you mean you think that's his ceiling?

I think MPS easily has 75 pt upside

Banned

The hype for Paajarvi was just a liiiiitle ridiculous. There's a reason he fell to the Oilers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    First of all, I said San Jose version of Milan Michalek.

Second of all, you do realize that Milan Michalek was actually picked higher than Paajarvi in his respected draft? How is it "not even a contest"? Michalek was supposed to be a much better scorer than he is.

PS. Didn't you say you only liked hockey for like 10 years or something? What would you know about player development and such, really. You see everything with Preds galsses so don't be a ****ing hypocrite.
    lol, it's not that I don't like hockey for only 10 years... It's just that I live here 10 years, so i've been following it only intensively now...

Plus, if you can't figure out how developing of players work in 10 years, you are an idiot...

And I hope you aren't talking about Michalek still in developing stages... :I

Just because players are drafted higher doesn't mean they are better...
    Let's take a look through my preds coloured glasses and evaluate draft of 1998... Legwand the piece of crap was drafted 2nd overall... Datsyuk just to name 1 example, was drafted MUCH later that year... And there are easily 6 or 7 players that year that are better than Legwand (I mean who ISN'T better than Legwand, besides M. Michalek) I wish we drafted...

Not being a hypocrite, just being a realist.

MPS > Michalek. I really don't know why this is even up for debate

Banned

lol, it's not that I don't like hockey for only 10 years... It's just that I live here 10 years, so i've been following it only intensively now...

Plus, if you can't figure out how developing of players work in 10 years, you are an idiot...

And I hope you aren't talking about Michalek still in developing stages... :I

Just because players are drafted higher doesn't mean they are better...
    Let's take a look through my preds coloured glasses and evaluate draft of 1998... Legwand the piece of crap was drafted 2nd overall... Datsyuk just to name 1 example, was drafted MUCH later that year... And there are easily 6 or 7 players that year that are better than Legwand (I mean who ISN'T better than Legwand, besides M. Michalek) I wish we drafted...

Not being a hypocrite, just being a realist.

MPS > Michalek. I really don't know why this is even up for debate
    But there IS a debate. That's the point. People we're talking about Michalek in the same ilk as they are talking about Paajarvi. How is this hard for you to understand? You can't say "oh he will no doubt be a better player rah rah rah" when we have no idea how he develops.

What does Datsyuk have do with anything? We're not talking about late picks who surprise here. We're talking about TWO PLAYER (Michalek and Paajravi) who play a similar style and who were drafted around the same spot in their respective draft years. Saying "look where Datsyuk was drafted" has no bearing on the conversation whatsoever. I'm saying Michalek was projected to be a better player than he is right now because of his high draft position. Why is it a given theat Paajarvi will become the better player? You have nothing to back that up and you are just saying that because Paajarvi is the prospect right now.

Saying Paajarvi is guaranteed to become a better offensive player is not logical. There are no guarantees. If you are actually a REALIST you would say there is a chance that paajavri becomes a two-way player like Michalek instead of the Hossa projections he had before (which was a dumb comparison BTW).
    Last edited by Big Ev; April 6, 2011 at 3:29 PM.

Dobber Sports Legend

do you mean you think that's his ceiling?
    Hell no. Paajarvi's ceiling is 85 points IMO. Realistic upside, perhaps 72-77 points.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Banned

Seriously, it's like saying Brayden Schenn is guaranteed to become a better player than Stephen Weiss just because of his hype right now. There's no guarantee of that at all.

But there IS a debate. That's the point. People we're talking about Michalek in the same ilk as they are talking about Paajarvi. How is this hard for you to understand? You can't say "oh he will no doubt be a better player rah rah rah" when we have no idea how he develops.

What does Datsyuk have do with anything? We're not talking about late picks who surprise here. We're talking about TWO PLAYER (Michalek and Paajravi) who play a similar style and who were drafted around the same spot in their respective draft years. Saying "look where Datsyuk was drafted" has no bearing on the conversation whatsoever. I'm saying Michalek was projected to be a better player than he is right now because of his high draft position. Why is it a given theat Paajarvi will become the better player? You have nothing to back that up and you are just saying that because Paajarvi is the prospect right now.

Saying Paajarvi is guaranteed to become a better offensive player is not logical. There are no guarantees. If you are actually a REALIST you would say there is a chance that paajavri becomes a two-way player like Michalek instead of the Hossa projections he had before (which was a dumb comparison BTW).
    That's somewhat misleading Ev.

First, Michalek's scouting reports had him pegged as a two-way forward from the get-go...with an emphasis on D. Not so w/ Paajarvi. In fact, reports on Paajarvi stressed need for improvement of the d-end of the game.

Second, Michalek was never touted as a high-end speedster/puck mover. His value was high because of his defense, size, and puck protection. Complete opposite of Paajarvi.

So to compare them draft pick-wise is inaccurate, and does not help reflect light on the fact that they were drafted for entirely different styles of game.

...and no one here is guaranteeing anything. We're just making silly bets we hope not to regret making.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Wizard

As recently as this last offseason MPS was being called the best young player in the world not playing in the NHL. Is his upside really as low as 75-ish points? I haven't really been able to follow him too much until this season and he hasn't exactly blown me away, but the hype on this kid was incredible.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Banned

Hell no. Paajarvi's ceiling is 85 points IMO. Realistic upside, perhaps 72-77 points.
    ok, I just wanted to make that clear ha ha! I'm with you on his upside then

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    That's somewhat misleading Ev.

First, Michalek's scouting reports had him pegged as a two-way forward from the get-go...with an emphasis on D. Not so w/ Paajarvi. In fact, reports on Paajarvi stressed need for improvement of the d-end of the game.

Second, Michalek was never touted as a high-end speedster/puck mover. His value was high because of his defense, size, and puck protection. Complete opposite of Paajarvi.

So to compare them draft pick-wise is inaccurate, and does not help reflect light on the fact that they were drafted for entirely different styles of game.

...and no one here is guaranteeing anything. We're just making silly bets we hope not to regret making.
    Well Michalek is a high-end speedster/puck mover. Don't know if he was touted as that but he definitely has great speed.

and yeah I'm not guaranteeing he will top out at 25 goals 65 points or whatever, but there is a chance of that happening. Prospects are PROSPECTS.

Dobber Sports Genius

The hype for Paajarvi was just a liiiiitle ridiculous. There's a reason he fell to the Oilers.
    I bet that at least three teams regret letting him fall-Dallas,Toronto and ...Ottawa.

Banned

Seriously, it's like saying Brayden Schenn is guaranteed to become a better player than Stephen Weiss just because of his hype right now. There's no guarantee of that at all.
    I'll quote this one cause it's less txt..

Anywho... I've watched a lot of Oiler games this year, and it's pretty evident by watching them, that he will become a high end player in this league. Whereas, if you watch Michalek play, even in his San Jose days, you just want to bang your head over and over

Saying MPS > Michalek is NOT a stretch, it's a reality even RIGHT NOW

Same goes for Schenn > Weiss... Altho, this is much tougher to call, because Weiss is a pretty decent player. However, he won't get to his potential unless he gets moved out of FLA, or FLA gets him some fwds to play with as their team is awful

Anyone that watches enough hockey, can make those observations. Off course nothing is set in stone, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to draw conclusions here...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    I bet that at least three teams regret letting him fall-Dallas,Toronto and ...Ottawa.
    ahh, so that's why Big Ev is trying to talk himself into Michalek is better than MPS...