Thread: [2011 OHL Draft] Top 60 OHL Prospects

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default [2011 OHL Draft] Top 60 OHL Prospects

sportschirps.com has posted their version of this years' Top 20 OHL Prospects. The website has called it their "Mock Draft" since there are 20 teams in the OHL. Below you will see the Top 20 (1st Round) followed by the next 20 players (2nd Round)

Here is a direct link Round 1 and Round 2. I have copied it to make it easier for us. The final 20 (41-60) players will be posted when it is released.

The 2011 OHL Priority Draft takes place May 7th.

**Aaron Ekblad** - Sun County Panthers - Defense (Granted exceptional status)
    1. Nicolas Ritchie- Toronto Marlboros- Left Wing
    2. Jordan Maletta- St. Catherines Falcons – Right Wing
    3. Darnell Nurse- Don Mills Flyers- Left Defense
    4. Nicholas Baptiste- Ottawa Senators- Right Wing
    5. Max Domi- Don Mills Flyers- Right Centre
    6. Steve Santini- Applecore- Right Defense
    7. David Perklin- Toronto Marlboros- Left Wing
    8. Jordan Subban- Toronto Marlboros- Right Defense
    9. Mitchell Dempsey- Cambridge Hawks- Left Wing
    10. Bryson Cianfrone- Toronto Marlboros- Left Centre
    11. Bo Horvat- Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs- Left Centre
    12. Ryan Kujawinski- Sudbury Wolves- Left Centre
    13. Adam Bateman- Don Mills Flyers- Left Defense
    14. Steven Varga- York Simcoe Express- Left Defense
    15. Brandon Robinson- Jr. Canadiens- Left Wing
    16. Nick Moutry- York Simcoe Express- Left Wing
    17. Mitchell Fitzmorris- Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs- Left Wing
    18. Hunter Smith- Windsor- Right Wing
    19. Alexander Smith- Detroit Honeybaked- Right Defense
    20. Michael McCarron- Detroit Honeybaked- Right Wing

21. Anthony DiFruscia- Welland Tigers- LW
    22. Justin Bailey- Buffalo Regals U16- RC
    23. Ian McCoshan- Waterloo Jr.A- LD
    24. Chris Bigras- Barrie Colts- LD
    25. Scott Tesky- Jr.Canadiens – RW
    26. Mike Vlajkov- St.Catherines Falcons- LD
    27. Cody Thompson- Toronto Marlboros- LW
    28. Brody Milne- Halton Hurricanes- LW
    29. B.J Salerno- Don Mills Flyers- LC
    30. Stuart Pomeroy- CYA U16- RD
    31. Danny Desrochers- Wolves 95’s- LW
    32. Nicholas Halagian- St.Catherines Falcons- LW
    33. Jacob Jammes- Ottawa Jr. 67’s- LC
    34. Brent Pederson- Waterloo Wolves- LW
    35. Aaron Berisha- Toronto Marlboros- RW
    36. Stephen Nosad- York Simcoe Express- RW
    37. Alex Fotinos- Toronto Marlboros- Goal
    38. Charlie Pelnik- Carolina Hurricanes U16- LD
    39. Hunter Garlent- Welland Tigers- RC
    40. Gabe Guertler- Team Illinois U16- LC

Enjoy. Discuss
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; March 31, 2011 at 10:11 AM.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Domi will be headed the NCAA route.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
    Domi will be headed the NCAA route.
    Ya that is what I am hearing too but it could it's not confirmed. An OHL team will definitely draft him

Here are a few of my thoughts:
    - Bo Horvat will go higher than 11th. I pegged him as a Top 5 pick (Top 10 at worst)
    - Aaron Berisha (OHL Cup MVP) will be drafted in the 1st Round (currently listed in the bottom of the 2nd round above)
    - Cody Thompson was tied for the lead at the OHL Cup in scoring and will likely get selected higher than the 27th that he's listed above
    - Darnell Nurse is far and away the best defenseman available for this year (Subban not far behind) but there is a glaring omission from the above list (IMO) and that is Don Mills defenseman Adam Bateman. He is a very strong defenseman.

Those are just a few of my initial thoughts

The rankings are not my personal rankings but they are the first set of rankings for OHL prospects that I have come across so I thought i would share them.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; March 30, 2011 at 9:51 AM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I am scouring the internet for any information on the OHL prospects mentioned above. It is difficult to find scouting reports on these kids at such a young age but I will post all reports/profiles in this thread as I find them

I am pleased to start with one of my former coach's son - Bo Horvat

Bo Horvat - F
    Alliance Minor Hockey Player of the Year (2010-11)
    2010-11 Team: Elgin Middlesex Chiefs Minor Midget AAA
    Born: Rodney, ONT. April 5, 1995.
    NHL Draft Eligibility: 2013
    Position: Centre
    Height: 5.10
    Weight: 186
    Shoots: Left
    2010-11 Statitics: 68 GP, 47 G, 71 A, 118 PTS

Dan Sallows does great work with all prospects and his piece on Horvat is no different.

Bo Horvat has all the makings of a dominant junior player, and may just one day be responsible for coining the phrase ‘Bo Knows Hockey,’ or at least bringing the saying back. The 15-year-old dynamic centre potted 118 points, on 47 goals and 71 assists in 68 games for his Minor Midget AAA Elgin Middlesex Chiefs club, en route to leading them to an Alliance League title and OHL Cup appearance. He was also recently named the Alliance Player of the Year, for his accomplishments on and off the ice, and represented Team Ontario at the 2011 Canada Games, where he was quite possibly the best player on the squad, as he led them in scoring with 4 goals and 9 points through 6 games. Horvat does everything well, and does anything it takes to win, in the mold of a young Mike Richards. He is built like a tank at 5-foot-10, 186-pounds and is a strong skater, with excellent vision and hockey sense, has tremendous hands, a very good shot, drives to the net well, is exceptional at protecting the puck, and is a just a very dependable two-way forward with unlimited offensive weaponary. Horvat will undoubtedly be a first-round pick in the 2011 OHL Priority Selection, as he simply brings it every single game.

- Bo Horvat led Team Ontario at this year's Canada Winter games with 9 points in 6 games

CWGM 2011 Stats: 6 GP - 4 G - 5A - 9P (Team Canada player page here)

- Bo Horvat placed 5th in Team scoring for Elgin-Middlesex at the OHL Cup Tournament last week.

OHLCup Stats 2011: 4GP-2G-3A-5P (OH Cup player page here)
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; March 30, 2011 at 12:26 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Next up:

Jordan Maletta - C (currently ranked 3rd above)
    Date of Birth:04/30/1995Position:CenterShot:RightWeight (lbs):180Height:6' 2"
    DOB: April 30, 1995
    Shoots: Right
    Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Team: St. Catharines Falcons Midget AAA (OMHA)

thescoutingman.com provides the following questions to Maletta with his answers

List your strengths as a player:

Some of my strengths as a player include; I see the ice very well, I have a very effective shot, my size, my skating ability, and I have a very high work ethic. I am a leader and I have good hands and I can make plays happen. I am willing to do whatever it takes to earn a position at the next level.

List your strengths as a player:

Some of my strengths as a player include; I see the ice very well, I have a very effective shot, my size, my skating ability, and I have a very high work ethic. I am a leader and I have good hands and I can make plays happen. I am willing to do whatever it takes to earn a position at the next level.

List the areas you want to improve in your game:

In my opinion hockey is a game that you must constantly try to improve in all areas and that is what I continue to work at.

List specific awards you have won:

The awards I am most proud of are; 2008/2009 OMHA Minor Bantam AAA Champions with my St. Catharines Falcons AAA winter team. My summer team, East Coast Selects Ontario went 5 for 5 in tournaments in 2008/2009 and I was awarded "Player of the Year" for ECS Ontario. At the end of my 2009/2010 season I was awarded the Norm Mussat award the "Heart and Desire Award" that is given to one player throughout the organization.

Tournament/camp information and dates (last season):

1. World Selects nvitational - April 20-26 Helsinki, Finland
    2. Toronto Prospects - April 30-May 2
    3. Ronald McDonald June 4-6
    4. NAPS - June 25-27
    5. Chowder Cup - July 8-11

I will play all of these tournaments with East Coast Selects this spring.

Leagues, school and teams preferred:

I am keeping all options open
    Maletta played this past season in the Canada Winter Games for Team Ontario. Check out his player page here .

CWGM2011 Stats: 6GP - 1G-3A-4P (7th amongst Team Ontario teammates)

- Maletta recently played in the OHL Showcase Cup for his OMHA team - St. Catharine's Jr. Falcons. Player page here

OHLCup Stats: 4GP - 2G -1A-3P - 12 PIM (led his team)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

BREAKING NEWS:
    @ShawnCayley: Aaron Ekblad gets his exceptional player status from OHF and will likely be first overall pick in #OHL draft. First since Tavares in 2005."
    This is the same exemption Tavares received

Add Ekblad to the top of the list

Aaron Ekblad is a 6'3" 200lbs 15-year old defenceman from the Sun County Panthers.

Full story here
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; March 31, 2011 at 10:01 AM.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    BREAKING NEWS:

This is the same exemption Tavares received

Add Ekblad to the top of the list

Aaron Ekblad is a 6'3" 200lbs 15-year old defenceman from the Sun County Panthers.

Full story here
    This kid is going to be good. Exceptional status as a d-man is pretty crazy IMO.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I will be providing the scouting report for today.

Today's scouting report is on...

Nicholas Ritchie
    Team: Toronto Malboros Midgets
    League: Greater Toronto Hockey League
    Shoots: Left
    Height: 6'3"
    Weight: 195 lbs.
    Number: #20

- Ritchie was a key member of the OHL Cup Championship team. Check out his OHL Cup stats here

OHLCup 2011 Stats: 7GP- 5G-4A-9P 10PIM (3rd in Team Scoring; T-4th in OHL Cup Scoring)

- Ritchie was also a member of the Canada Winter Games for Team Ontario. Check out his player page for that here

CWGM 2011 Stats: 6 GP -2G-2A-4P 38 PIM

Ritchie is a big kid who loves to have the puck on his stick. He utilizes his size effectively in protecting the puck and with his soft hands he is dangerous anywhere in the offensive zone. Nicholas has decent one-on-one skills but he is more effective winning battles along the half-boards and corners. He has a tremendous ability to cut into the middle of the ice and fire shots home. For his size, Ritchie is a very good skater and moves around the ice easily. Ritchie could stand to shoot the puck a little more often because when he does he has an OHL shot. Nicholas Ritchie's best attribute is his compete level - he loves to play and loves to win.

Ritchie played in the Canada Winter Games for Team Ontario and finished 6th in team scoring. Ritchie's stats were a little skewed as Nicholas was ejected early in the second period for a checking-from-behind penalty in their 3-2 OT game against Quebec. Ritchies team, Toronto Marlboros, relied heavily on this big forward during their OHL Cup championship run. He logged a tonne of minutes and was a key player in wearing down their Don Mills' opponents.

Ritchie is projected to be one of the first forwards selected in the OHL Priority Draft this May and should make an immediate impact for whichever team selects him this spring.

Nicholas' older brother, Brett, plays for the Sarnia Sting and has represented his province/country in international play. Brett is eligible to be drafted into the NHL this June (currently ranked 57th by CSS). The Sarnia Sting holds the fourth overall selection in the Priority Draft and we could possibly see Brett and Nicholas playing together this fall.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; March 31, 2011 at 10:56 AM.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I can't believe the size of some of these kids already, and at only 16 too!

Dobber Sports Master

Max Domi is almost for sure going NCAA route. After being told that he wouldn't be able to be drafted if he goes USA bound because he is Canadian, they are considering moving to the states so he'll play NCAA and still be drafted. Already has a spot at Michigan I believe.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Recruit

Max Domi has committed to the NCAA. This was reported by Steve Simmons at the Toronto Sun, Domi will be looking to the South for his hockey future.

Making Money By Blog

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Max Domi has stated that he will go the NCAA but there is belief that Dougie Gilmour might bring on Tie Domi as an assistant coach in Kingston and that the Frontenacs might take a chance on drafting Max.

Max Domi Video Compilation

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Max Domi has stated that he will go the NCAA but there is belief that Dougie Gilmour might bring on Tie Domi as an assistant coach in Kingston and that the Frontenacs might take a chance on drafting Max.

Max Domi Video Compilation
    I don't know if this affects anything in regards to that, but Gilmour is no longer the coach in Kingston..I believe he is now GM.

The Great One

A team will still draft Domi in the first round....if Domi decides to go the NCAA route, that team will be compensated with a 1st round pick the following year.

Never heard that about Tie Domi becoming an assistant coach for Kingston.....Don't even know if Max will be around when Kingston picks.