Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [March 28th] OHL Weekly Ramblings

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by tryhard87 View Post
    Thanks for the list. I did some more digging in the Mid-season ISS Rankings (http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=36348). Is that the most up to date list?

Anyway I found 2 more 2011 draft eligible guys from the list from Owen Sound:

RW Andrew Fritsch (96th overall)
    D Keevin Cutting (122nd overall)

Think either of those guys are worth watching?
    I have heard of Fritsch and the scouting reports are positive. He has some good offensive skills. He is definitely worth watching. He could be a late round steal for an NHL club

Check out this scouting report
    http://dansallows.com/player-profile-Andrew-fritsch

I must admit, I don't know much about Cutting but have a look at him and let me know what you think. Cutting's 16 pts as a 3rd year OHLer make it seem like he is a shutdown defender so I am not sure there is much fantasy worth there

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Here is a great rant about the Kingston Frontenacs struggles. Spoilers Friedman posted it in latest "30 Thoughts"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ6ie...e_gdata_player

Kingston looks to avoid the sweep tonight against the Oshawa Generals

Dobber Sports Expert

Thanks so much for the OHL Cup 2011 stuff.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Here is a great rant about the Kingston Frontenacs struggles. Spoilers Friedman posted it in latest "30 Thoughts"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ6ie...e_gdata_player
    I gave that a listen earlier today and I've got to agree with most of what he says.
    On the 10-1 defeat we were situated right above the visitor's pit where they do interviews and Doherty was forced to do one at the end of the 2nd period. 6 rows behind me some 40 year old Frontenacs fans probably 8 tall boys deep started booing Doherty, telling him he was shit and that he didn't deserve to be captain. Doherty heard it and looked up and you could tell after that he wanted out of that interview as fast as possible

I can't stand people like that. People have got to remember that these guys are still kids (mentioned in the rant). Visiting players expect that they're going to get heckled but for these guys to come out to play in front of their home crowd and to have to put up with that kind of shit is ridiculous. Its not like these kids enjoy losing.

I dunno just my thoughts on that. It really pissed me off. I really wanted to go to tonight's game but unfortunately I have a night class tonight. Really hoping they can pull out a W.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    I gave that a listen earlier today and I've got to agree with most of what he says.
    On the 10-1 defeat we were situated right above the visitor's pit where they do interviews and Doherty was forced to do one at the end of the 2nd period. 6 rows behind me some 40 year old Frontenacs fans probably 8 tall boys deep started booing Doherty, telling him he was shit and that he didn't deserve to be captain. Doherty heard it and looked up and you could tell after that he wanted out of that interview as fast as possible

I can't stand people like that. People have got to remember that these guys are still kids (mentioned in the rant). Visiting players expect that they're going to get heckled but for these guys to come out to play in front of their home crowd and to have to put up with that kind of shit is ridiculous. Its not like these kids enjoy losing.

I dunno just my thoughts on that. It really pissed me off. I really wanted to go to tonight's game but unfortunately I have a night class tonight. Really hoping they can pull out a W.
    It really is a shame that some people don't realize that these players really are "just kids". The last OHL game I went to in Sarnia, there were a group of 40-60 year old men heckling defenceman Joe Rogalski (Pittsburgh prospect) and they things they were saying to him were downright brutal. I have taught Rogalski in the past and you couldn't get a harder working and respectful kid. There are times where people need to realize that these kids are playing the game as best they can and that they dont deserve the taunting that they go through game in and game out.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

a few things to add....

JP Anderson - CHL Goaltender of the Week
    - Mississauga St. Michael's Majors' goaltender, JP Anderson, has been name the CHL Goaltender of the week. Anderson opened the 2011 OHL Playoffs with three straight wins including two shutout victories with a goals-against-average of 0.33 and save percentage of .983.
    - Anderson has now won the award three times this season.

Team Ontario's U-17 Coaching Staff Announced
    -
    The Ontario Under 17 Program Policy Committee is pleased to announce Troy Smith as the Head Coach of Ontario’s Under 17 team through the 2011-13 seasons. Troy is currently an Assistant coach with the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

OHL Playoff Action Tonight

Kingston and Belleville look to avoid elimination (sweep) tonight while Brampton and Ottawa will attempt to get themselves back into the series instead of going down the dreaded 3-0.

Personally, I look forward to the Owen Sound-London matchup tonight

- Brampton @ Niagara 7:00pm (NIA leads 2-0)
    - London @ Owen Sound 7:00pm (Series Tied 1-1)
    - Oshawa @ Kingston 7:00pm (OSH leads 3-0)
    - Mississauga @ Belleville 7:00pm (MIS leads 3-0)
    - Ottawa @ Sudbury 7:30pm (SDY leads 2-0)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Kingston looks to have shown up for tonight's do-or-die game versus the Generals (up 3 games to none) as they currently lead 6-2

Werek is leading the way with 3 assists

Dobber Sports Ninja

Maybe I'm the bad luck guy lol... Good for them though!

Edit: Also glad to see they went with Perry instead of Palazzese...Perry deserves to be getting these starts at least from what I've seen.
    Last edited by bondon; March 29, 2011 at 8:54 PM.

Administrator

With the 67's down 3-0 in the series to Sudbury is it entirely possible that this is why all their prospects aren't so well regarded. Yeah, we know they can score but when the going gets tough you need to be more than one dimensional. Seems to me Toffoli, Martindale and Prince are a little too one dimensional. Either that or Mrazek has been worse than the already pretty bad numbers indicate.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    With the 67's down 3-0 in the series to Sudbury is it entirely possible that this is why all their prospects aren't so well regarded. Yeah, we know they can score but when the going gets tough you need to be more than one dimensional. Seems to me Toffoli, Martindale and Prince are a little too one dimensional. Either that or Mrazek has been worse than the already pretty bad numbers indicate.
    Mrazek has been their best player from what I've seen. He stopped like 48 pucks yesterday.

They lost a key d-man in Travis Gibbons right at the end of the season. That hurts and it's showing.

and Prince just returned from an injury so I will give him some slack. He'll be a solid 2nd round pick.

I honeslty don't think the forwards should be criticized too much, it's just the D really. That Sudbury line is killing it.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Mrazek has been their best player from what I've seen. He stopped like 48 pucks yesterday.

They lost a key d-man in Travis Gibbons right at the end of the season. That hurts and it's showing.

and Prince just returned from an injury so I will give him some slack. He'll be a solid 2nd round pick.

I honeslty don't think the forwards should be criticized too much, it's just the D really. That Sudbury line is killing it.
    Yeah, I'm not sure that shone through my post but I didn't want to put it one Mrazek. I actually think he's a very solid goaltender.

Banned

I doin't think they would have beaten Mississauga even if they made it all the way to the East Finals lol. That team is good, and Cameron is showing why he could be an NHL coach next year.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I doin't think they would have beaten Mississauga even if they made it all the way to the East Finals lol. That team is good, and Cameron is showing why he could be an NHL coach next year.
    Majors are easily the most impressive team I've scene this year. They don't have any really impressive names but their system is great. They just beat teams up.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Wednesday Morning Additions

- Mississauga St. Michael's Majors eliminated the Belleville Bulls in a good old 4-game sweep (as predicted by me.....and many others). The Majors won last night 4-0. JP Anderson recorded his THIRD shutout of the series. The Majors are going to be tough to beat for any team.

- Tryhard67 from the forum presented us with a great recap of the Owen Sound Attack - London Knights Game 3 here. Tryhard discusses the play of Leafs' prospect Jesse Blacker (OS), Colorado prospect Joey Hishon (OS) and a nasty slew-footing incident that will likely result in a suspension for a London Knight forward. Colin Martin received a match penalty. Thanks.

- The Kingston Frontenacs kept their series alive by winning 7-4 against the Oshawa Generals. The Gens lead the series 3-1.

CHECK OUT this series of defensive hockey by the Frontenacs' Gudbranson (Florida) that turns into a beauty goal at the other end for Ryan Spooner (Bruins). Video here

- The favoured Ottawa 67's are currently down 3 games to none to the Sudbury Wolves. SHOCKED. The Wolves are simply out working the 67s and it shows in the scores. Last night, Ottawa blew a 4-2 lead to lose in overtime. Shane Prince returned to the game last night (after he sat out due to injury) but he, Toffoli and Martindale have been way too quiet. Ottawa is the Eastern Conference 2nd seed, Sudbury the 7th seed.

- There is a full recap of Tuesday Night playoff action that can be found here (courtesy of ontariohockeyleague.com)

Dobber Sports Ninja

That was a great job of Gudbranson to not give up on the play. Took one away which created one on the other end, can't get much better than that.

Also just for $hits n giggles I thought I'd throw in this video clip of the penalties called on the Front's during the game last Friday.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOWuY...eature=related

At 6:20 that's my buddies and I that Clark is flipping off LOL