Thread: Best D for goals in this group

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Best D for goals in this group

Pietrangelo
    Fowler
    Bogosian
    E.Johnson

Who has the best potential for scoring goals ?

Is Pietrangelo injury prone ? (Best 60 games payed in junior)

Thanx !

Dobber Sports Expert

I have to think it's between EJ and Pietrangelo right now in this group. Bogosian is stuck behind Enstrom and Byfuglien which diminishes his fantasy value and prime PP ice time. Fowler is getting all sort of opportunities, but he's only 19, he's currently a -24 and so I think he'll take a few years before he really starts contributing in the way EJ and Pietrangelo are already.

If you look at the junior production of EJ vs. Pietrangelo I think EJ projects as a slight favorite in the goal-scoring department. Pietrangelo is on pace for low 40s in points and probably 11-12 goals. These are numbers EJ put up in STL a year ago.

Since the trade to the seriously struggling AVS EJ has put up 7 points in 14 GP...a 40 point pace, logged over 23 minutes per game, and 3 of those 7 points were goals...projecting over a full season this comes out at roughly 40 points and 17 goals [and this is on a team that's sucking right now and will welcome back Flash and, with any luck, Mueller next year]. It's not unusual for players to see an immediate bump in production after a trade so this projection into next year is far from certain, but the price the AVS paid to land EJ tells me he just became their Phaneuf and will get every opportunity to produce.

I believe EJ is the under-valued player in this group and will post nice bounce-back #s next season. If I wanted a goal-scoring D he's my pick in this group...by a narrow margin.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Interesting topic... because I just recommended EJ over Shattenkirk for points.

Goals specifically - I'd probably go Pietrangelo.
    For young D-men, when the coach sets up the PP he usually has a clear message for the D-man, either:
    *move the puck, or
    *shoot the puck if you have it

I think COL has a lot of offensive talent. I would guess that COL would be wise to have their D-men move the puck on the PP. Get it onto the stick of Statsny/Duchene as often as possible. This is not a team that is going to pounce the net for rebounds a lot (now with Stewart gone)... so I'd expect a more skilled approach to their PP from hereforward.

St.Louis doesn't have a lot of guys I would consider super-skilled passers. Andy Mc, when he is on, is pretty sharp. But they strike me as a team that would give their D-man a green light on the PP to unload a shot. They have a few guys who are excellent at getting in tight/dirty/physical around the net (Stewart, Backes, even Oshie) and I could see them looking for a lot of rebounds on the PP.

So - based on what I'd expect out each team's PP coaching, I'd say Pietrangelo.

Another great strategy is to track both of these guys' game logs & take the guy who seems to be taking the most SOG.

(On that same theory: Bogo won't be seeing any PP#1 time at any time in the near future as Ramsay always goes Buff/Enstrom on PP#1. Enstrom/Bogo have been D-partners recently... but don't count on even-strength goals too much. Fowler is going to defer to Lubo as often as possible on the ANA PP... second fiddle.)

Summary:
    1a: Pietrangelo
    1b: E.Johnson
    Fowler
    Bogosian
    Last edited by Pengwin7; March 23, 2011 at 12:35 PM.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Another great strategy is to track both of these guys' game logs & take the guy who seems to be taking the most SOG.
    Yeah, I think this is close, but I looked at this too.

Pietrangelo is on pace for 167 SOG this year.
    EJ is on pace for 175.

More importantly, since the trade EJ has posted 39 SOG in 14 GP with the AVS = 228 SOG pace.

I agree Pietrangelo is probably the 'safer' D selection, but if we're looking at this from a 'goal-scoring' standpoint I'm still inclined to gamble on EJ.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Padawan

LOL "Friday...We so excited."
    Nice one Pengwin!

Oh yeah, gimme EJ and Petro before Fowler and well before Bogo.
    I also agree that Petro might be the somewhat "safer" choice here, but I suspect that EJ will also benefit long-term from this trade.

Dobber Sports Legend

I would go with EJ, followed by Pietrangelo. I want to see a full season of EJ on the Avs - since he's been there, he's been firing the biscuit like crazy.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka