Thread: Johnson or Shattenkirk?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Johnson or Shattenkirk?

Who do you like for now and for the future?

Both in general as far as talent and specific to my league (see sig.).
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Ace

Which Johnson?

Dobber Sports Ace

Sorry. E.J.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Genius

Although I feel that the blues won the trade by not only landing a very good young defenseman, but by also nabbing one of the game's premier power forwards, in terms of benefit to an individual career however, Johnson landed in the best spot.

Shattenkirk was in line to be the Ave's go to guy on PP after Liles, who is quite a bit older and who's place in his organization is far less certain than the player who Shatty now falls behind-Pietrangelo.

Pietrangelo has established himself well enough in the eyes of Blues management, that they felt confident to make the bold move (dealing a former #1 overall pick). Pietrangelo was also drafted in a higher regard than Shattenkirk, so I think it safe to assume that he will play second fiddle to Pietro for quite some time.

Johnson on the other hand (who must have felt rejuvinated following the trade after seemingly regressing in STL) now falls into the possible position of bein the #1 option in Colorado as early as next year.

All this, and considering hits in your league settings pushes Johnson ahead of Shatty here, IMO.

Dobber Sports Ace

I agree with Rainy.

EJ has landed in a great situation with a team that appears to trust him and will give him tons of key minutes. He's already said loss of confidence was an issue this year in St Louis, so I think the fresh start will be good for him.

Shattenkirk is further behind on his development (rookie), he's now behind Pietrangelo on the depth chart, and (not to nit-pick too much) he's really not produced a ton after that ridiculous stretch to start his time in Colorado. Did the math this AM, and he's riding 14 points in the past 42 games (after 19 in his first 21 matches).

I seem him as a very likely candidate to struggle next year..ala Del Zotto. I still think he's a really nice player with a great future, but I'm not sure he's as advanced as some think.
    Last edited by Reuben; March 23, 2011 at 11:29 AM.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

EJ is my pick for actual better NHL D and for fantasy points.

Shattenkirk is offensively talented, but (agree) maybe not well-rounded enough to be given top minutes. St.Louis also strikes me as a team that is "deep", but doesn't have that "high-end talent". Colorado's Statsny & Duchene are more talented than any player on the STL PP, so I'd rather have a guy on COL's PP.

Dobber Sports Superstar

You know, Shattenkirk is only averaging 7 seconds less PP time in St. Louis than Pietrangelo.

Just sayin'

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Stud

When Johnson gets a 40 point season, let me know. I don't know how anyone could consider Johnson a top fantasy defensemen. I'd probably go with Shattenkirk in fantasy, Johnson for my NHL team. He's a good NHL defensemen.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
    When Johnson gets a 40 point season, let me know. I don't know how anyone could consider Johnson a top fantasy defensemen. I'd probably go with Shattenkirk in fantasy, Johnson for my NHL team. He's a good NHL defensemen.
    33 points in 69 games as a 19 year old rookie.

39 points in 79 games as a 21 year old sophmore after missing the previous season due to an injury.

26 points in 69 games this year. Even in a down year he's on pace for 30 points.

Johnson put up very good numbers in his first two seasons - do not write him off just because he's having an off year. Johnson just turned only 23 years and is former 1st overall pick. He put impressive 39 points last year after missing the whole season before that. Yeah, 39 is not 40 but is the one point really that important? EJ is very good fantasy D-man with potential to be a top-10 keeper league D-man one day, and that day isn't that far away. I'd take EJ over Shattenkirk without thinking twice about it.

People seem to forget that EJ is less than a year older than Shattenkirk. Less than a year! Shattenkirk may have been having good rookie year so far but besides one hot streak (18 points in 15 games) he's been nothing spectacular. Let's wait and see how he does in his sophmore season before putting him in the same class as EJ - even in fantasy hockey.
    Last edited by Carcillo; March 24, 2011 at 9:01 AM.