Thread: Franson or B. Smith ???

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Franson or B. Smith ???

Salary keeper - Goals, Assists, PIMs (only a fraction), +/- count

I like franson but hate that the preds have zero real offense from the d corps. Yes they have one of the deepest d cores for talent but the system they play prohibits a lot of points - not as much as a lack of real talent up front.

I like Smith because of the Det system of developing prospects. I don't like that he may not be up on the big squad next year.

I have a sort of middling team for next year but should be good the next year - who is best for this team?

Administrator

I really like Smith, I think he's going to be a real star in this league. Franson has a chance to be a solid goal-heavy producer but Smith can be elite.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Franson. Further along in his development, just needs the logjam to clear up or he needs to be traded. What he's doing with his limited icetime is amazing.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

franson. detroit takes sooooo long to develop their players it won't be worth the wait for smith.

Dobber Sports Genius

Yes, the wings let thiers prospects develop for eons, especially thier D (look at Kronwall or Kindl etc.), but B. Smith will not take that long because-

a)-Although Lidstrom is incredible and awe inspiring, he isn't really ageless. He is not 34-35 anymore and the end is surely near compared to thinking he has another 4-5 years in him...pretty much the same with Rafalski, so they need the infusion of young blood

b)Plain and simple- B.Smith is that good. He has excelled everywhere he has played, and keeps developing his defensive game to go along with his natural offensive skills

I think B. Smith is great...and Franson as well. I don't think you can miss by much with either choice here, but to echo what dyz and meteldude said - Smith has a higher upside and a more natural PPQB aspect to his game, while Franson is further along in his development and therefore the safer choice (logjam in NSH not withstanding) IMO.

Dobber Sports Pro

I'd have to go with the majority. I think Smith has a great future, but the next few years I like Franson. Franson has performed extremely well for a guy only getting 15 minutes a game. It's too bad he wasn't moved to the Blues in a deal instead of Shattenkirk.
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

Dobber Sports Sage

I'd take Franson over Smith next year.... or any year that it happens to be Smith's first... but in a keeper league I think Smith ends up with the most value. Smith has special skills. Franson is great, but he's not special, IMO. He has long term competition from the ridiculous amounts of talented d in nashville, who are much younger than the DET d. In 3 years it will be Smith and Kronwall running that PP while it will still be Suter and Weber running the Nashville. Things could change, but then there's Blum, and Ellis to contend with as well.. oh and Josi and Klein.

I don't think Kindl has the same skill Smith does, so I don't consider him to be much competition.

Franson short term.. definitely, but B Smith long term for me.
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I was going to keep Gonchar but I guess I will drop him since he has done nothing and I will keep both Franson and Smith...solves the problem nicely