Thread: Where am I going wrong?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Where am I going wrong?

Hey everyone, new user here.This site is easily the mecca of all fantasy hockey related things. Anyway, my situation is this: Im in a 10 team league which is in my sig.I started out really well with the hot start by Cammalleri and my Ottawa goalie situation. I was in second place just 5 weeks ago and I dropped all the way to seventh. My goalies have become a little unpredictable and many of my forwards have been underachieving. Should i look to make a move or sit tight and wait for the ship to right itself? Thanks.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Welcome NYR9394

So how about a little more information - what kind of league is it roto, H2H, points. What are your roster starting positions? Do you set your starts daily? what are your scoring categories? How many IR spots do you have? All this is key to getting decent feedback.

I think generally I would expect your team to be about the middle of the pack for a league of this size - 10 teams 16 roster spots. Not too deep a league and while you have some quality players - I see nothing special about your team.

Yes, some of your guys started hot and cooled off but remember there are other players in the league who started cool and have heated up and you don\'t have many of them. Two edged sword.

To be blunt, I think you have some work to do to build this team into a contender - not impossible - there is time and you have some stuff to work with.

I would advise the following:

1. If you haven\'t already - buy the midseason guide and sleep with it. You need to be fully aware of what is likely to happen with players - there are some buy low opportunities right now that could really help you.

2. Feed us a list of players that look promising who are on FA for each position - I strongly suspect there are a couple of gems waiting there for you to pick them off. 3. Start looking at the other teams in your league closely to see where they have positional strength and where they need help.
    4. Pray Emery completely loses his mind.

So if you are keen to pump this puppy up - let\'s get at it. Dobberhockey is your team now.

Good luck!!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Sorry about the omission, this is new to me. Not to mention that it\'s my first time in a fantasy league. Im in a roto league and we start two centers, 4 wingers(doesnt matter whether lw or rw), 4 d-men and 2 goalies and I set starts daily. I think we\'re allowed to have 5 people on the IR. I actually had 5 at one time earlier in the season.(Boyle,Havlat,Salo,Weber,Emery). Most Importantly,the scoring categories are Goals,Assists,PP goals, PP points & Short Handed points, Goalie categories are Wins, GAA, SV% & Shutouts. All categories are of equal importance.I think that\'s all the relevant, dissect away please.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Its kinda late and im very tired to go through the promising FA list right now, it\'s actually pretty tapped. If u think he\'s promising, he\'s probably gone. Any quick fix ideas?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Maybe not quick fix but the next time you are making a drop - fill your IR with the most promising players on IR - I think Lupul is going there soon - so if you have 3 more spots then find 3 players who are on IR who stand a chance of doing anything this season.

We can work on the FA tomorrow - is it a league we can look at or is it a private league - closed to oglers? I will look at this with the additional info and likely ask more questions - sleep well.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

First thing on FA would be to indicate whether there any goalies of note on it at all. Your league is weighted very heavily to goalies - 50 % of your stats for about 17% of your starting roster - we need to be getting you better goalies my friend.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Shoeless wrote:
    First thing on FA would be to indicate whether there any goalies of note on it at all. Your league is weighted very heavily to goalies - 50 % of your stats for about 17% of your starting roster - we need to be getting you better goalies my friend.
    Good luck finding better FA goalies better than:

Leclaire 1.97 (2nd NHL), .928, 7 shutouts (most NHL)
    Thomas 2.28, .931 (2nd NHL)
    Gerber 2.60, .917, 19 Wins (4th NHL)

Both Leclaire and Thomas have only 13 wins apiece. I understand no being completely happy with each of those goalies situations, but you will not find a FA goalie anywhere near those numbers.

Boyle is hopefully not far from returning.

Obviously with you falling so quickly, the teams are close in terms of standings. I see some of the players as slumping (Boyes comes to mind). As quickly as you came down, you can gain those points back in the same amount of time.

You might try to use one wing spot to insert the flavour of the week. Find a player who is lighting it up and play him until a guy like Boyes gets back on track. With 10 team leagues there are always decent FA forwards available.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Comish the reason to look for a goalie is to see if there is a way to package up for a better goalie and then backfill with something reasonable - not to find a better one than he already has. You can only build this up one player at a time - I suspect the FA might have gems at forward or D, certainly not in goal. But strengthening up if possible should be from the goal out. this league screams for goaltending.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Shoeless- My league is not open to outsiders(i wouldnt care less but im not running it), but here\'s a list of the more notable FA\'s at C&W positions, defense & goalies:

Centers & Wings: Alexander Semin, Jason Pominville, Nicklas Backstrom, Martin Straka, Shane Doan, Mike Knuble, Petr Sykora, Dustin Penner, Teemu Selanne(love to see him come back), Jochen Hecht, Tim Connolly, Mark Recchi, Radim Vrbata & J.P. Dumont.

My D-men have actually been consistent producers for me. Funny thing is that i picked em all off the FA list early on when they were relatively unknown. My drafting for d-men sucked. I actually drafted Dan Boyle, John-Michael Liles, Shea Weber & Sami Salo. I thought for sure the goals and PP points would pile up. Boy was I wrong,Haha! Boyle, Weber & Salo all landed on the IR before the second game of the season! Anyway, the notable FA\'s for d-men are: John-Michael Liles, Joni Pitkanen, M.A. Bergeron, Shea Weber, Rob Blake, Brett Clark, Christian Erhoff, Mattias Ohlund, Niklas Kronwall, Tom Poti,Craig Rivet & Dan Girardi.

I will keep goalies short & sweet. The only notable FA\'s here are: Vesa Toskala, Karri Ramo, Dwayne Roloson, Frederik Norrena, Matthieu Garon, Danny Sabourin, Josh Harding, Jose Theodore, Johan Hedberg & Mike Smith.

I hope i\'ve compiled a detailed enough list that will help anyone put me on the right track, cause im fading fast.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Wow, typed all that for nothing. That sucks.

Dobber Sports Stud

From the list of FAs... you may want to pick up Shane Doan for Brad Boyes or Tanguay (yes that sounds like a wtf move.. but Huselius has been playing great on the top line, while Doan has been doing great with the new young players in phoenix.

I don\'t see any major improvements for you at center, unless you want to try someone thats hot in place of cammalleri.

For the goaltenders.. I would suggest taking Toskala out of the bunch, or Norrena to fill in for Leclaire\'s injuries.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

10 teams, 12 positions.... and all you\'ve got is Thornton and... that\'s it. Were you drunk on a draft day?
    Making playoff is a distant possibility, and will require hard work (assuming active league)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well I would begin nby checking one more time as to how many IR slots you have - you don\'t seem sure but if you do have 5 you can drop Lupul into one of them and I still say search for 3 more likely candidates to stash - I try never to run with an IR slot empty just never know when a come will come on for you.

I think Connolly is a good pickup with the vacant spot - he should do better than Brindie to the end, for that matter so should Backstrom. If you only need 3 centres then Brindie can go for one of these two guys with your stat categories. The two named may also do better than Cammalleri by a bit.

Damn it\'s hard to keep track of your team and your FA list and give feed back when you get flipped to the next page to post.

Okay back - I don\'t think there is much on FA that can help your wings in the way of making a swap but if you replace Lupul with a winger then it should be Doan - Boyes should be about the same as Doan for the duration.

Ranger has to go - wild card it here and take M.A. Bergeron.

This is what I would do with your team to go flat out - dump Cammer and Brindie for Connolly and Backstrom, load up on the best IR, pull Doan in to the vacant slot and dump Ranger for Bergeron.

Comish pretty much has the goalie thing down.

If Havlat comes hot again I would trade him for something good and get rid of the headache - watch the Sens goalie situation closely - frankly if I could package two of your goalies for a better one I would and then go with someone like Toskala in the number 3 slot - but that is likely a marginal move. I am just nervous about Gerber.

Good luck - watch the backmarkers on FA - in almost every pool there is someone worth grabbing if you are alert to what is going on.

When you post for help - be patient - we have jobs and lives and not always easy to get back to things right away.

Good luck.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

vist wrote:
    10 teams, 12 positions.... and all you\'ve got is Thornton and... that\'s it. Were you drunk on a draft day?
    Making playoff is a distant possibility, and will require hard work (assuming active league)
    Wow, real positive. It wasnt such a bad idea when i was in second was it? I got Stillman and my entire D off the waiver wire and i endure 5 IR players at on time.Fantasy players have there ups and downs, im just in a down period. No need to be a jerkoff.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Shoeless wrote:

When you post for help - be patient - we have jobs and lives and not always easy to get back to things right away.

Good luck.
    I understand. I have a job too. I wasnt directing it at you. I really just posted my comment so that my topic wouldnt sink pages and pages into oblivion. Thanks for your input anyway.