Thread: Dobberhockey Fantasy Leagues

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Dobberhockey Fantasy Leagues

I believe with a simple toggle in settings from private to public league - these three leagues could become more of a spectator attraction.

As much as I appreciate Comish\'s write-up on the expert league - it isn\'t quite the same as mushing around in the FA to see who is left - see the posts - moves, etc.

Wasn\'t part of the reason to set up these leagues to showcase the FH activity of folks on the site and in the industry?

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think there\'s certainly a few things that could be tweaked for the next go round and that\'s one of them. Having some kind of observer setting might be nice.

Also, not having an observer who actually has drafted players would be good as well. That\'s sort of messed things up as well.

Overall I think things have gone quite well though.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I guess what I meant to say is that change can still be made now if I am not mistaken.

as far as the commissioner/observer thing goes - you can rotate commissioner from GM to GM over the course of the season everyone could have a shot at it for a part of the season - you don\'t need an outside observer to be drafting and carrying a null team.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I\'d love to be the guy who has to try to be last in every category. I think it would be quite easy to do, but what do I know!? Should not have been an issue. Hope it isn\'t an issue. Still half a season to fix. Finding ugly +/-, GAA and SV% would likely be the challenge now.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well Visnovsky and Richards could take care of the +/- in a hurry.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah they certainly would, but the downside would be that they also put up points! You have to find guys who play lots of minutes on bad teams AND who don\'t put up any other numbers (including penalty minutes). Guys I\'d pick:

Rory Fitzpatrick Phi 19-0-1-1 -12 11 pim 10 sog
    Mathieu Darche TB 35-4-4-8 -20 12 60
    Brad Lukowich TB 40-1-2-3 -18 12 16
    Martin Skoula Min 40-1-4-5 -13 18 34
    Trevor Letowski Car 40-2-3-5 -10 12 32
    Andreas Karlsson TB 27-1-1-2 -8 6 16
    Jim Dowd Phi 31-2-1-3 -11 6 18
    Matt Pettinger Wsh 40-2-3-5 -11 19 78
    Jerred Smithson Nsh 40-4-3-7 -12 29 34

Goalies would essentially not be used except to try and bring down the GAA and SV%:

Andrew Raycroft Tor 2 wins, 3.79, .878
    Jocelyn Thibault Buf 2 wins, 3.64, .857
    JS Aubin LA 5 wins, 3.10, .893
    John Grahame or Marc Denis would have been wonderful plays earlier in the year.

That took five minutes to come up with that team of beauties. You would have to monitor and swap guys in and out depending on how they are doing, but it would be something different that\'s for sure!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Probably start a craze called \"Reverse Roto\" Of course you would have to have a rule forcing guys to put guys in the roster everyday.

Anyway isn\'t the solution even simpler? Draft NA players and if someone is activated simply throw them back in the pool and take another NA guy? And never play anyone. What am I missing?

Dobber Sports Expert

Burnsy disappeared and completely ignored being Commissioner of the Pro league, so his goaltenders continue to get good stats in their limited starts and steal points away from other players. It was mentioned again and again on the site and in the pool itself but he doesn\'t seem to care - so the chances that he will actually change the league to public seem ultra-slim, given that he doesn\'t respond to anyone\'s messages for months now.

You are right, the solution was to draft players and then immediately bench them, but that wasn\'t done, and when it was pointed it out, it was never corrected.

I am hoping that next year the stat categories get changed to something more interesting / challenging as well.

Dobber Sports Ninja

As far as I know Burnsy hasn\'t been around at all, not there, not here. and it appears, perhaps not even in the Expert league. Hopefully he\'s ok, and it\'s just a matter of priorities.

I \'really\' hope it won\'t effect the key standings (1,2 and the last 2 spots...if there is a \'bottom 2 drop down\' thing happening)

As of today he is effecting the top 4, so it could be an issue down the road.

I\'d suggest sending an email to Dobber personally for clarification on the issue, though it doesn\'t look like it will matter to you based on your standings in the league (clear first).

As for the challenge in the league, I\'ve been where you have been some years - WAY out in front at the end of the year - and then been middle of the pack the following year with the same group of guys. Sometimes you end up just doing everything right. Perhaps this league isn\'t for you if it\'s not up to the challenge level you\'re looking for. I believe most people feel it\'s a good level of challenge and time committment, but I could be wrong.

Perhaps when you\'re not in a pool with us lowly Pro Leaguers and with the big boys you\'ll feel more challenged next year.

Dobber Sports Expert

I don\'t mean the challenge isn\'t there because i am currently leading - I spent a lot of the season at the back middle of the pack - i just mean i would like to see more stat categories so that you can have a strategy other than scorers and goons, because currently the format does not reward PP points, SH points or face off wins. (as an example). I think there is a dimension that could definitely be added here.

I didn\'t mean to put anyone down!

I...am your father.

Shoeless wrote:
    I believe with a simple toggle in settings from private to public league - these three leagues could become more of a spectator attraction.

As much as I appreciate Comish\'s write-up on the expert league - it isn\'t quite the same as mushing around in the FA to see who is left - see the posts - moves, etc.

Wasn\'t part of the reason to set up these leagues to showcase the FH activity of folks on the site and in the industry?
    You are absolutely right. But I trusted someone to run the leagues properly and he dropped off the map. Next season, I will get Maltais to do it - he is very active with that stuff - or maybe the Comish.
    Next year it will be done right. I made a mistake this year. Next year I will go with proven reliability.
    B)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Expert

I dunno about the Comish, he is a pretty shifty guy!