Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [March 21st] OHL Weekly Ramblings

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default [March 21st] OHL Weekly Ramblings

OHL Weekly Ramblings - March 21st

photo credit: johnchidleyhill.com

- First off, my apologies for not being able to post last week. I was in Playa de Carmen on vacation as one of my buddy's tied the knot.

....OK, now on with the OHL ramblings

There is a lot of information so please bare with me. I will try to get right to the point.

OHL Regular Season Ends

- The OHL (and all other CHL leagues) have finished their regular season as of yesterday (Sunday March 20). Official Regular Season Standings can be found here and matchups here(with schedules)

- Competing for the Eastern Conference Bobby Orr Trophy will be: Mississauga, Ottawa, Niagara, Oshawa, Kingston, Bramptom, Sudbury, and Belleville

- Competing for the Western Conference Wayne Gretzky Trophy will be: Owen Sound, Saginaw, Kitchener, Windsor, Erie, Plymouth, Guelph and London

Cellar Dwellars

- The teams selecting in the Top 4 at next year's OHL Priority Draft and not participating in the OHL playoffs are: Barrie Colts (34 points), Peterborough Petes (43 points), Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (56 points) and the Sarnia Sting (57 points).

End of the CHL Regular Season: The Good, The Bad and Ugly
    - Neate Sager of Yahoo! Sports recaps the highlights from the CHL regular seasons. Great read

The League's BEST: Red Tilson Trophy Winner
    - The Ontario Hockey League's Red Tilson Trophy goes to the league's most oustanding player and this year's recipient was no other than defenceman Ryan Ellis (Nashville Predators/Windsor Spitfires). Ellis became the first defenceman to clear 100 points in the OHL since 1994.

OHL ANNOUNCES FOUR ANNUAL AWARD WINNERS

- Check out the full released article here
    • Eddie Powers Memorial Trophy Winner(s) - Top Scorer(s)
    • Tyler Toffoli (Ottawa 67s) and Jason Akeson (Kitchener Rangers) have been named the winners of the Eddie Powers Memorial Trophy as the OHL's top scorers with 108 points each.

• Jim Mahon Memorial Trophy Winner(s)- Top Scoring Right Winger
    • Toffoli and Akeson will also share the Jim Mahon Memorial Trophy which goes to the OHL's top scoring RWers.

• Dave Pinkney Trophy Winners - Goaltending tandem of the team with the Lowest Goals Against
    • For the second straight year, the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors' goaltenders took home this award. This year, JP Anderson and Mikael Audette of the Mississauga St. Michaelā€™s Majors allowed the fewest goals (170) by any OHL club which is the lowest since 2004-05 by any OHL team. Anderson posted a 2.35 GAA while Audette had a 2.75 GAA on the season.

• W. "Dinty" Moore Trophy Winner - Best Rookie GAA
    • Rookie netminder Matej Machovsky of the Brampton Battalion led all OHL rookie goaltenders with a GAA of 2.90 (ranked as 7th best in the entire OHL). The 17-year old Czech native recorded a record of 7-13-0-2 in his first OHL season.

Aaron Ekblad Rewarded Exemptional Status

- The rule has come to be known as the "John Tavares rule" where talented 15-year olds can apply and could be awarded exemption into the OHL Priority Selection Draft. John Tavares and Jason Spezza were both granted exceptional status for the OHL

- I mentioned in the ramblings two weeks ago that defenceman Aaron Ekblad was the most recent player to apply for the exemption. I am hearing that the OHL is going to reward the 1996 born Ekblad the exceptional status needed to enter this year's OHL draft. If true, expect Ekblad to be drafted 1st overall.

Other Top OHL Draft Eligible Propects

- Besides Ekblad, look for the following names to go high in this years' OHL Priority Draft: forward Max Domi (Tie Domi's son), defenseman Darnell Nurse, forward Bo Horvat (my former coach's son), defenseman Jordan Subban (brother of PK and Malcolm subban) and forward Nick Ritchie (brother to Sarnia Sting Brett Ritchie who is eligible for the NHL entry draft this year)

Max Domi - Choosing the NCAA Route?

- Tie Domi's son, Max, has apparently decided to go the NCAA route rather than play in the OHL. Max Domi is eligible for the 2011 OHL Priority Selection Draft and is one of the leagues Top Prospects.

Nail Yakupov Watch

- Yakupov finished the season on a strong note as he recorded 3 points (2G, 1A) in his final game on Saturday night. Those three points put made Yakupov the 5th player to clear the 100-point plateau this season (others were Toffoli 108, Akeson 108, Strome 106 and Ellis 100).

- Yakupov finished his extremely successful season with 49 goals and 52 assists for 101 points placing him in 4th in OHL scoring. I am sure Yakupov was disappointed he did not reach 50 goals but when you compare his rookie campaign to former Sting rookie Steven Stamkos, he has to be VERY pleased. Yakupov scored 7 more goals and 2 more assists than Stamkos in his rookie season (42G, 50A).

- At this point, Yakupov is a heavy favourite to be selected 1st overall in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

- Personally, I have never watched/remembered a more talented hockey player at the OHL level than Yakupov was this past season. I cannot wait until next year to see Yakupov and Galchenyuk (2nd in OHL rookie scoring with 83 points) develop on their already impressive rookie seasons. I expect a lot of scouts will be visiting Sarnia next season.

Fun Fact: Yakupov is the first OHL rookie to clear the 100 point plateau
    since Patrick Kane and Sam Gagner did it for London

Spitfires' Coach Bob Jones Charged

- Bob Jones, Windsor's coach, has been charged with aggrevated assault aftera Feb. 26 fight in the parking lot of Docks Riverfront Grill in Sault Ste. Marie.

OHL Sights and Sounds

- OHL News Hockey Radio Edition featuring Chistian Thomas (Oshawa General and NY Rangers' prospect) and Terry Doyle recaps the OHL coaches poll.

- OHL Plays of the Week are highlighted by Colorado Prospect Joey Hishon

- OHL Concussion Educational Video was released a Concussion Educational video for all it's players and teams.

Not So Fast Mr. Leading Scorer

- On the final day of the OHL's regular season, Tyler Toffoli jumped from 4th in the OHL scoring race to a tie for first as he recorded 5 points (4G, 1A). Article linked above

Longest Streaks of the 2010-11 Regular Season
    • Goal Streak - Daniel Catenacci (Soo Greyhounds) recorded 10 goals in a 9 game goal streak
    • Assist Streak - Sarnia's Kale Kerbashian recorded an 11-game assist streak from January 1st until January 28th in which he had 12 assists. Worth mentioning, Jason Akeson recorded 23 assists in 10 straight games and Ryan Ellis had 22 assists in 10 games as well.
    • Point Streak - Tyler Toffoli (Ottawa 67s) had the longest point streak of 25 games scoring 57 points over a period from Nov 7th to January 15th
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; March 21, 2011 at 6:21 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Final OHL Regular Season Scoring Leaders

Notes:
    • The Nashville Predators have three prospects in the OHL Top 10 (Ellis, Beck and Latta)
    • Only two 2011 draft eligible forwards cracked the Top 20 in OHL scoring (Strome and Prince)
    • Two 2012 draft eligible forwards were in the Top 20 in OHL scoring (Yakupov and Galchenyuk)
    • There were 3 forwards who remain unsigned/undrafted (passed over in previous NHL drafts in the Top 20 (Kerbashian, Behenna, Thompson)
    • Three OHL rookies this past season are eligibile for the 2011 NHL Entry Draft (Khokhlachev, Scheifele and Jensen)

1. Tyler Toffoli (Ottawa 67s/LAK) 57G, 51A, 108P **OHL Goals Leader**
    2. Jason Akeson (Kitchener Rangers/PHI) 24A, 84A, 108P **OHL Assist Leader**
    3. Ryan Strome (Niagara IceDogs/2011 Draft Eligible) 33G, 73A, 106P
    4. Nail Yakupov (Sarnia Sting/ 2012 Draft Eligibile) 49G, 52A, 101P **OHL Rookie Leader in Goals/Points**
    5. Ryan Ellis (Windsor Spitfires/NSH) 24G, 76A, 100P
    6. Christian Thomas (Oshawa Generals/NYR) 54G, 45A, 99P
    7. Taylor Beck (Guelph Storm/NSH) 42G, 53A, 95P
    8. Gregg McKegg (Erie Otters/TOR) 49G, 43A, 92P
    9. Michael Latta (Guelph Storm/NSH) 34G, 55A, 89P
    10. Peter Holland (Guelph Storm/ANA) 37G, 51A, 88P
    11. Kale Kerbashian (Sarnia Sting/undrafted) 37G, 51A, 88P
    12. Colin Behenna (Barrie Colts/undrafted) 33G 55A, 88P
    13. Shane Prince (Ottawa 67's/2011 Draft Eligible) 25G, 63A, 88P
    14. Justin Shugg (Mississauga St. Michaels IceDoggs/CAR) 41G, 46A, 87P
    15. Joey Hishon (Owen Sound Attack/COL) 37G, 50A, 87P
    16. Garrett Wilson (Owen Sound Attack/FLA) 40G, 46A, 86P
    17. Brett Thompson (Erie Otters/undrafted) 44G, 40A, 84P
    18. Freddie Hamilton (Niagara IceDogs/SJS) 38G, 45A, 83P
    19. Ryan Martindale (Ottawa 67s/EDM) 34G, 49A, 83P
    20. Alex Galchenyuk (Sarnia Sting/2012 Draft Eligible) 31G, 52A, 83P

Top Scoring Defencemen

1. Ryan Ellis (Windsor Spitfires/NSH) 24G, 76A, 100P
    2. Ryan Murphy (Kitchener Rangers/2011 Draft Eligible) 26G, 53A, 79P
    3. Josh McFadden (Sudbury Wolves/2011 Draft Eligible) 19G, 53A, 72P
    4. Dougie Hamilton (Niagara IceDogs/ 2011 Draft Eligible) 12G, 46A, 58P
    5. Jesse Blacker (Owen Sound Attack/TOR) 10G, 44A, 54P
    6. Taylor Doherty (Kingston Frontenacs/SJS) 14G, 39A, 53P
    7. Jamie Doornbosch (kitchener Rangers/undrafted) 19G, 29A, 48P
    8. Calvin de Haan (Oshawa Generals/NYI) 6G, 42A, 48P
    9. Matt Stanisz (Owen Sound Attack/undrafted) 12G, 31A, 43P
    10. Kalle Ekelund (Peterborough Petes/unsigned) 8G, 35A, 43P

Top Scoring Rookies

1. Nail Yakupov (Sarnia Sting/ 2012 Draft Eligibile) 49G, 52A, 101P
    2. Alex Galchenyuk (Sarnia Sting/2012 Draft Eligible) 31G, 52A, 83P
    3. Alexander Khokhlachev (Windsor Spitfires/2011 Draft Eligible) 34G, 42A, 76P
    4. Mark Scheifele (Barrie Colts/2011 Draft Eligible) 22G, 53A, 75P
    5. Nicklas Jensen (Oshawa Generals/ 2011 Draft Eligible) 29G, 29A, 58P

More information will be posted as I find it

Enjoy

OHL Playoffs begin Thursday!
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; March 21, 2011 at 2:02 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Not surprisingly (see weekly rambling picture), the OHL has named Ottawa's Tyler Toffoli OHL PLAYER OF THE WEEK after scoring 5 goals and 2 assists in 2 games (also +5). Four of his week's goals came in Sunday's win.

Toffoli has won the Player of the Week award three times this season.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Thanks DY! I go to school in Kingston and I was wondering when the playoff games were going to be played in town! Thanks for the schedule!
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Stud

Currently reading, and I'm sure it will be very informative.

However... best typo ever.

The League's BEST: Red Tilson Trophy Winner
    - The Ontario Hockey League's Red Tilson Trophy goes to the league's most oustanding player and this year's recipient was no other than defenceman Ryan Wilson (Nashville Predators/Windsor Spitfires). Ellis became the first defenceman to clear 100 points in the OHL since 1994.
    Edits after reading :

- Very informative. Wonder how good that Ekblad kid is to get the exception and also be consideted for 1st overall.

- Ryan Ellis really proved that he's basically learned all he needed at the OHL level. Loving it. Interesting, however, to see Ellis be usurped by Murphy (26 vs 22) in the goals by a defenceman department.

- Wasn't Barrie a top team last year? I guess that with kids careers lasting between 2 and 4 years, that a team has to go from contender to rebuild very quickly.

- I'm fairly sure it will happen, but in my dynasty league I dropped to last this year (really thingking ahead), and if I can get my hands on Yakupov, I think that dnasty will be a contender for ages...

- Great to see McKegg finish 8th in scoring and Blacker be mentioned in the top 5 for defencemen. Interesting to see where Prince (a player whom McKegg had similar point totals to last year with 30 goals in 85 points) will go this year. McKegg went 65th overall (iirc), so that will be a show re : the depth of this years draft compared to others.
    Last edited by Nights; March 21, 2011 at 6:22 PM.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Administrator

If you haven't then check out this sweet blog. It's generally highly informative but his recent post is an excellent profile on a potential draft sleeper named Ryan Sproul.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ace

A great read, very informative, thanks Youngblood.
    12 Team H2H keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Hits, GWG & SOG. W, GAA, SV% & SHO
    Daily changes, Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 1F 2W 2G - 10 Bench

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I posted this in a new thread but will add it here as well.

Check out the 2011 NHL Entry Draft Rankings for draft eligible OHLers (plus player profiles) created by OHLinsider.com

Head to this thread for the address/discussion

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The OHL Showcase Tournament in Toronto beginning TONIGHT (March 22) where teams come and compete. The tournament is used to showcase upcoming talent for the OHL Priority Draft

More information here

The tournament has had great success at identifying future OHLers - 50% of the current OHL have played in this tournament.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Awesome as usual.

Also, glad you got out of Mexico alive.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Awesome as usual.

Also, glad you got out of Mexico alive.
    Haha. Thanks.

We remained on the resort for most of the time so my only enemy was the endless supply of booze (which I tried to drink dry)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Playoffs begin TOMORROW (Thursday, March 24) in the OHL and one story is making huge headlines.

Check out the OHL: Playoffs a hair-raising experience

There are some damn creative hair styles

ALSO: Later today, I will be releasing my OHL Playoff Preview and Predictions. Check back in the OHL Section later.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

More mid-week additions to the Ramblings...

- Video: Ryan Ellis- Greatest Ever?

The case can be made that Ryan Ellis is the best junior player of all time and Bob Bellacicco attempts to make the case with the above video.

- Video: Sarnia Sting - Outside Looking In

The Sarnia Sting are not participating in this year's playoffs but next year will be a whole new story. This feature by Norman James highlights the future 1st round NHL picks Nail Yakupov and Alex Galchenyuk. Scouts will most definitely be packing into Sarnia's RBC Center next season.

- Playoffs Begin Tonight!

BRAMPTON @ NIAGARA (7:00), KINGSTON @ OSHAWA (7:05), ERIE @ WINDSOR (7:05) and BELLEVILLE @ MISSISSAUGA (7:05)

Anyone attending any of these games?

OHL CUP - Must Follow

- I cannot believe I missed this release. Check out the OHL Network's Team Previews of all the players/teams participating in the OHL Cup. The article does a tremendous job at highlighting the players to watch. I wanted to do a similar release but I am not confident knowing a lot of these players quite yet.

- Follow the ongoing events/statistics of the OHL Cup featuring future OHL Stars here. We are currently on Day 3 of the Tournament and the cup will be presented on Sunday to the winning team. Catch the Championship game LIVE on Sportsnet TV @ 2pm

- The OHL Cup site (above) is running some cool articles. The latest is an OHL Cup Graduate Profile featuring Steven Stamkos who participated in the event in 2006 when his Markam Waxers won the OHL Cup and Stamkos was awarded the Tournament MVP. Stamkos was teammates with Michael Del Zotto (NYR), Cody Hodgson (VAN) and Cameron Gaunce (COL) that season - not too shabby
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; March 24, 2011 at 11:01 AM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

adding a few playoff bits here (they were just released)

- OHL Playoff Preview: Eastern Conference (via ontariohockeyleague.com)

- OHL Playoff Preview: Western Conference (via ontariohockeyleague.com)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

CHL Rankings

Last updated: March 23 (Last week's ranking in parentheses)
    1. (1) Saint John Sea Dogs (58-7-1-2)
    2. (2) Saskatoon Blades (56-13-1-2)
    3. (3) Mississauga St. Michael's Majors (53-13-0-2)
    4. (4) Montreal Juniors (46-12-5-5)
    5. (5) Red Deer Rebels (48-16-4-4)
    6. (6) Quebec Remparts (48-16-1-3)
    7. (7) Portland Winterhawks (50-19-0-3)
    8. (9) Owen Sound Attack (46-17-1-4)
    9. (10) Niagara IceDogs (45-17-2-4)
    10. (8) Drummondville Voltigeurs (45-15-5-3)

The OHL has three teams represented