Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Youngblood's Official '12 NHL Draft Q & A Thread

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Youngblood's Official '12 NHL Draft Q & A Thread

The 2012 NHL Entry draft is 11 days away and with the Fantasy Prospect Report mostly behind me, I can field some questions from you guys regarding the potential draftees

Feel free to leave a question here and I will respond the best I can. Cheers

Please keep the lists to a reasonable length

Fire away!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

sup dean, out of the lottery teams, what team will yakupov have the most success with (in order)?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think some of the biggest questions I have, I already know your answer to haha.

What are your thoughts on Lindholm? How does he rank amongst the other 2012 d-men? I've seen him ranked everywhere from top 10 to 2nd round.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I am always hesitant to take defencemen early in my fantasy drafts because they can take so long to pan out and often have a slow development curve. That said in one draft I am picking 5th overall so if the big 4 forwards are gone do I take Teuvo Teravainen or pick a d-man? On the flip side I am worried that Teravainen isn’t a enough ‘top tier’ talent to be assured of NHL success worthy of a top 5 pick in fantasy leagues.

p.s. this is a multi-stat league with some weight to PIM, hits, blocks, and shots.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Im looking to add a bit of offensive D in my dynasty. How would u rank these D if they fall to my pick? Im thinking 2-3 years ahead?

Lindholm
    Finn
    Ceci

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

btw in nhl 12, what mode do you play on for the OHL games? i play the dynasty mode with the leafs, but yakupov and galchenyuk suck ass (might be because i started it a while ago, maybe in the new roster update they might be better)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    sup dean, out of the lottery teams, what team will yakupov have the most success with (in order)?
    Tough to project but...

1. Islanders (Tavares + Yak ...ya that would be swell)
    2. Oilers (talent is there but overall depth might be an issue...really depends on where he lines up. RNH and Ebee with Yakupov would be ridiculous together
    3 Habs (I think he'd thrive playing next to Plekanec as he could cheat a but more
    4. Leafs (Grabo and Yak would be interesting together)
    5. Blue Jackets (mainly because Nash is likely gone. He would get all the icetime he wanted though...or at least, he should. )

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by reeveta View Post
    I am always hesitant to take defencemen early in my fantasy drafts because they can take so long to pan out and often have a slow development curve. That said in one draft I am picking 5th overall so if the big 4 forwards are gone do I take Teuvo Teravainen or pick a d-man? On the flip side I am worried that Teravainen isn’t a enough ‘top tier’ talent to be assured of NHL success worthy of a top 5 pick in fantasy leagues.

p.s. this is a multi-stat league with some weight to PIM, hits, blocks, and shots.
    This is actually a great question and I'm in a similar situation in one league,

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

In a 16 teams head to head dynasty league with these settings

Roster Positions and Size
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 3 UTIL, 2G, 6B, 5IR

Stat Categories
    G A +- PIM PPP SHP FW SOG HITS BLKS
    W GAA SV SV% SHO

I have the 7th overall prospect pick, 2012 draftees only.

I would be looking for either a multicat defender or a big offensive boost to my forwards. Who do you think I should target with that pick ?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    I think some of the biggest questions I have, I already know your answer to haha.

What are your thoughts on Lindholm? How does he rank amongst the other 2012 d-men? I've seen him ranked everywhere from top 10 to 2nd round.
    I've had limited viewings (obviously) and none live but he seems to this year's Jonas Brodin - good skating two-way Swedish defender that has stepped up his game. I'm guessing he gets nabbed somewhere in the middle-late teens but from a few I've had talks with, scouts really like how he's showing "progression"

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by reeveta View Post

I'd take Teravainen ahead of Forsberg probably. It depends a but in where he's drafted but his offensive skills are impressive. He won't provide much in the form of blocks/hits/PIM but I don't think you should be looking for a player like that with a top 5 pick to be honest

I myself am also hesitant to use a high pick on a dman and rarely do. None of them in this draft class are worth a top 5 pick In standard fantasy leagues ImO

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    hey, thanks for doing this!

I think it's a fairly safe bet that Galchenyuk goes in the top 4.
    With that in mind, and with the top 10 or 15 so close in many ways, can you see the Leafs possibly taking a leap of faith on someone like Grigorenko or Faksa at #5. i.e. I think they desperately want (and need) a centre and I think the only guy they might take instead of a centre is Forsberg (if he falls to 5).
    Then again, Burke is such a nut about depth on D, maybe they shock everyone and grab someone like Morgan Reilly.

Can you give me your interpretation of what Burkie might do, assuming no deal can be reached to move up... thanks
    It looks like where share a similar view on Burke. I can't predict what that crazy guy will do but I could see any of your scenarios happening.

I think he and his staff wants Galchenyuk badly (my choice too)
    If Grigorenko falls to them at 5 and Yak, Gally Murray AND Forsberg are gone then I can see Burke taking Grigorenko- and he should. But if one of those other four players are still available, my hunch is that he takes the best one

I have a feeling that the Leafs probably covet Faksa but I don't think he's worthy of a 5th overall selection. I also feel that they secretly LOVE another player (albeit I have no proof). Hunches - Girgensons or Rielly

It's really a guessing game with Burke. Hell, he could trade the pick or trade up (he's been rumored to be trying)

I know that doesn't answer much but Burke holds his cards close to his chest (a must in Toronto's media circus) and he's really unpredictable. If he loves a player he will try everything to get him (ex he moved up to grab Biggs and a few years ago he aggressively pursued B. Schenn at the draft).

I wrote this article on what the Leafs draft plan should be a few months back. It's still relevant

http://thehockeywriters.com/at-the-d...o-maple-leafs/

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by jmemek View Post
    Im looking to add a bit of offensive D in my dynasty. How would u rank these D if they fall to my pick? Im thinking 2-3 years ahead?

Lindholm
    Finn
    Ceci
    Ceci

Lindholm
    Finn (I see him as a Matt Carle type of player)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    btw in nhl 12, what mode do you play on for the OHL games? i play the dynasty mode with the leafs, but yakupov and galchenyuk suck ass (might be because i started it a while ago, maybe in the new roster update they might be better)
    BeAPro usually but u haven't had much time to play lately. Galchenyuk is one of the better players I've used from the CHL. Yakupov is misrepresented physically (5'1" back to back years) and skill wise (not fast at all). Just shows that EASports don't have the right people inputting information

Dobber Sports Guru

How do you see Brendan Gaunce and Scott Laughton comparing against Mark Scheifele? Either of them potential draft day surprise selection in the top-10 like Scheifele was? And are their potentials far behind that of Scheifele's?
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw