Thread: Cam Newton vs. Robert Griffin III?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Cam Newton vs. Robert Griffin III?

Just had a little debate with one of my buddies on the topic. I was split and said I'd take either... but he just loves Newton's abilities and believes that it's a no-brainer pick. Who would you take to lead your team?

Obviously Newton came out on top in their week 9 matchup but I still find it difficult to compare the two... Cam is in his dreaded sophmore slump, whereas RG3 is a rookie... but if I just had to I think I'd go with RG3. Redskins offense has completely come alive since he's arrived and he's so dang accurate. But like i said..I like Cam Newton too.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I think I would go RGIII for two reasons.

I know he's young but Newton's attitude off the field and lack of maturity bothers me. The towel over the head and pouting should be kept in the private confines of the locker room or his own time. The QB is the leader of the offense and keeping that reality or perception is important. I say perception because sure maybe some QBs aren't meant to be leaders....but dont openly show it or else you're going to get buried as Newton is right now.

The second reason is that I trust the Skins management a hell of a lot more to build a successfuly team than I do the Panthers.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I think I would go RGIII for two reasons.

I know he's young but Newton's attitude off the field and lack of maturity bothers me. The towel over the head and pouting should be kept in the private confines of the locker room or his own time. The QB is the leader of the offense and keeping that reality or perception is important. I say perception because sure maybe some QBs aren't meant to be leaders....but dont openly show it or else you're going to get buried as Newton is right now.

The second reason is that I trust the Skins management a hell of a lot more to build a successfuly team than I do the Panthers.
    I think the Newton issues are accelerated by the HD era of TV (ie cameras always looking for his reaction on the sidelines). In the past a lot of that stuff would simply not leak out. Now you have segments on NFL Network shows debating if Newton should be allowed to put a towel over his head.

However there is definitely something to getting rattled and not being ready to shine the next series. Guys like Brady, Favre, Manning, Ryan, Brees, etc have thrown plenty of picks but are always fired up and ready to go when the ball comes back to them. I definitely think RG3 is closer to that than Newton is.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust