Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hey! I did a trade!

I...am your father.

Default Hey! I did a trade!

The window of optimism was a short one, but it was still big enough for my one keeper league - the Forecaster league (keep 12, weekly lineups, defending CHAMP) to get excited again.

I have about 20 solid players left and I need to cut down to 12. Here is what remains of my roster (I cut the dregs already):
    14 teams, 25 players per team...

C - E. Staal, Kopitar, Benn, Flash, Berglund
    W - Kovalchuk, Giroux, Neal, St. Louis, Eriksson, S.Kostitsyn, Johansen, Williams, Kuznetsov, Conacer
    D- Letang, Shatty, MDZ, Enstrom
    G - Smith, Anderson, Dubnyk

I traded Strome and last pick of the 6th round (since I won) for an early 4th rounder. Meh, better than a kick in the teeth.

Cutting my roster down to 14 is easy. Cutting to 12 is hard. Ideally I'd like to get some picks rather than just drop guys.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Giant

C - E. Staal, Kopitar, Benn,
    W - Kovalchuk, Giroux, Neal, St. Louis, Eriksson,
    D- Letang, Shatty,
    G - Smith, Anderson

I would go with the 12 above. I guess it's easier when it's not your team, but it still wasn't easy deleting Enstrom, Berglund, Conacher and Kuznetsov. Enstrom has the most talent currently from those 4 IMO but he is only as good as his team is and apart from Wheeler and Kane, the firepower on that team is limited. Also Big Buff is also used on the PP.

I think you have a good mix of youth and players in their prime.

I would flip a coin on Dubnyk though (instead of Anderson). I think he might break out soon.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

I...am your father.

Keeping all three goalies. Way too important in this league to have a question mark, and any two of these goalies doesn't give me a pair I'm comfortable with. But two of the three goalies...(i.e. keep all three and hope two turn out) I am very comfortable with.

Which would mean cutting Eriksson. So I need to trade a guy. Also want to make room for MDZ and Enstrom. So three guys I don't want to lose for nothing.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'll make some assumptions here:
    *Points-Only (?)
    *Start 3C/6W/4D (?)

I'd keep:
    C - E. Staal, Kopitar, Benn
    W - Kovalchuk, Giroux, Neal, St. Louis, Eriksson
    D- Letang
    G - Smith, Anderson, Dubnyk

This means (if it's my team), I'm considering dropping your 3 defensemen.
    I don't know... I personally feel like there an absolute slew of 30-45pt defensemen out there.
    Last year, I helped a buddy win his 13-team 6F/4D points-only pool... we went into the draft with just Karlsson.
    Drafted 3D... and ended up replacing them ALL with waiver D during the year (guys like MDZ & Leddy).
    Just piecing in some decent D-points allowed him to win the pool. [With Malkin, Datsyuk, Neal, Pavelski, E.Kane, Heatley, Karlsson + 3D, Fleury and Corey effin Crawford!]

Let's say you value the players as follows:
    50pts: Letang
    45pts: Shattenkirk
    45pts: Enstrom
    42pts: MDZ

The guy I'd look to move here is Letang.
    Sure, you downgrade your defensemen, but what you gain in trade return on Letang (2nd rounder?) may be much higher than what you might get for ShattenK (4th rounder?) or Enstrom (5th rounder?). And, you only lose 5pts.

In other words... I think you should look to move one of your defensemen... whoever you can get the best return/draft-pick on.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; December 7, 2012 at 1:10 PM.

Dobber Sports Giant

Hmmmm then I guess Eriksson would be the guy to go for Dubnyk as you said. Now cutting 2 more to add those D-Men... not sure if it's even possible for 1? Of course 2 for 1 trades/upgrades would be best here but are other managers in need of fillers in exchange for better players (ex: Eriksson and St-Louis for Eberle)?
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Prodigy

C: Staal, Kopitar, Benn
    W: Kovy, Neal, Giroux, St. Louis
    D: Letang, Shatty, MDZ
    G: Smith, Dubnyk, Anderson

In my mind, this is how it stands. I like MDZ over Enstrom (immensely better offense, far less competition for PP time), and I don't see how you can keep either of them over any of the other forwards. It would seem you're left with the prospect of a trade.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

D- Letang, Shatty, MDZ, Enstrom
    G - Smith

That leaves you with 13. Take two players, find a GM who has decent goaltending depth and make them an offer. Assuming you can package Benn and Eriksson together, maybe get a top 10 goalie in the right deal.

Either way it's an upgrade over Dubnyk and Anderson. Dubnyk will likely continue to battle with Khabibulin for starts, especially since Nikolai loves to show up in contract years. Anderson has injury history, has not been stellar over the past few seasons, and has both Lehner and Bishop nipping at this heels.

Come on, you're Dobber. Don't tell me you can't make some magic happen...
    ***Non-Descriptive Thread Titles Killed My Wife and Ate My Children***

10 Team Roto Keeper League (G,A,PPP,SHP,GWG,+/-,PIM, SOG // W,SAVES,GAA,SV%,SO)
    Full Keeper w/ Salary Cap [4C/4LW/4RW/6D/2G/5B, 82 gp per roster spot]

C: Crosby, Getzlaf, Ribeiro, Hodgson
    LW: Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Eriksson, Van Riemsdyk, Whitney
    RW: Gaborik, Stewart, Read, Selanne, Alfredsson
    D: Pietrangelo, Yandle, Edler, Wisniewski, E. Johnson, Whitney, Bieksa, Gardiner
    G: Lundqvist, Bryzgalov, Schneider

Minor League:
    Yakupov, Silfverberg, Bjugstad, Stone, Atkinson, J. Morrow, Palmieri, B. Smith, J. Bernier

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The opportunity cost of keeping a 3rd goalie in a weekly starts league is pretty high - but I understand the insurance factor. Someone in that league is really hurting in goal I would guess.

I like the Strome trade. You traded an asset you weren't going to keep to get a pick upgrade of some significance - looks like you moved up close to 40 spots for that pick. Weigh that against having one more player in the draft pool to pick from and you win large.

If you are looking for input then I am going to scold you here - no starting roster positions set out and no scoring cats. Are you picking last in every round? You want me to mow your lawn, you probably should tell me where you live.

I...am your father.

LOL I wasn't looking for input initially, but it kind of spun out that way. Originally I was just bragging that I made a fantasy trade during these difficult times haha

But here goes, now that we're in the discussion:
    4C 8W 6D 2G

Points only, and .25+/-, .1SOG, .25PPP
    Goalies I think are wins, shutouts and saves, less goals against, the usual formula I don't have it in front of me. But yes, I've been screwed by goaltending so I'm gunshy with them. Take no chances, full bore insurance.

Interesting take on the defensemen. You guys have me thinking.

I won last year using a big D focus, and the guy who won three years ago also had kickass D. With 6 D and 14 teams, half the teams are down to 20-point defensemen. And never never never anything on the wire. Whereas with forwards I can draft them and pluck them.

Besides those four D I owned Visnovsky and White - I had six good ones, trading Carlson at the deadline

Dobber Sports Demi-God

To some extent your wart is your goal tending - not sure I have much to offer in that regard but intuitively I would be examining the possibility of an upgrade there with some skater keepers to give.

One of those leagues I would love to see all the rosters in.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    LOL I wasn't looking for input initially, but it kind of spun out that way. Originally I was just bragging that I made a fantasy trade during these difficult times haha

But here goes, now that we're in the discussion:
    4C 8W 6D 2G

Points only, and .25+/-, .1SOG, .25PPP
    Goalies I think are wins, shutouts and saves, less goals against, the usual formula I don't have it in front of me. But yes, I've been screwed by goaltending so I'm gunshy with them. Take no chances, full bore insurance.

Interesting take on the defensemen. You guys have me thinking.

I won last year using a big D focus, and the guy who won three years ago also had kickass D. With 6 D and 14 teams, half the teams are down to 20-point defensemen. And never never never anything on the wire. Whereas with forwards I can draft them and pluck them.

Besides those four D I owned Visnovsky and White - I had six good ones, trading Carlson at the deadline
    Telling you man. Ditch Anderson and Dubnyk. Decide who you're 12th and 13th best players are, and flip them for a goalie. Tough to say who given we dont have the rosters from your league, but there's got to be someone with a goaltender who's a better option that those two, and who would benefit from aquiring the likes of Eriksson and Benn
    ***Non-Descriptive Thread Titles Killed My Wife and Ate My Children***

10 Team Roto Keeper League (G,A,PPP,SHP,GWG,+/-,PIM, SOG // W,SAVES,GAA,SV%,SO)
    Full Keeper w/ Salary Cap [4C/4LW/4RW/6D/2G/5B, 82 gp per roster spot]

C: Crosby, Getzlaf, Ribeiro, Hodgson
    LW: Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Eriksson, Van Riemsdyk, Whitney
    RW: Gaborik, Stewart, Read, Selanne, Alfredsson
    D: Pietrangelo, Yandle, Edler, Wisniewski, E. Johnson, Whitney, Bieksa, Gardiner
    G: Lundqvist, Bryzgalov, Schneider

Minor League:
    Yakupov, Silfverberg, Bjugstad, Stone, Atkinson, J. Morrow, Palmieri, B. Smith, J. Bernier

Dobber Sports Demi-God

12F/6D.

14 teams x 6D = 84D in play. Last year's (waiver wire) D scored 21pts.
    So a 45pt (Shattenkirk?) defenseman does represent a +24 over a WWD.

14 teams x 12F = 168F in play. Last year's (waiver wire) F scored 36pts.
    So a 65pt (Eriksson?) forward does represent a +29 over a WWF.

This is why I think you have to consider keeping an Eriksson over your D.
    Eriksson (70pts) represents a +34pts over WWF.

And, as you say, if good D are "valued" highly... you should be able to sell them for a great (draft pick) return.

Dobber Sports Ace

D- Letang, MDZ, Enstrom
    G - Smith
    Move Shattenkirk because IMO he's got the most value - maybe you just get a better pick out of it. I'd keep MDZ b/c he's the #1 option in New York. But the choice between the two is close - as I said, I move Shatty b/c he seems to have more perceived value.

Not sure why guys are so down on Enstrom. He's a back to back 50pt blueliner coming off a tough campaign - I'd still take him over MDZ or Shatty.

As for the goalies - Smith is the only 100% starter on a good team. Anderson is the 100% starter, but not sure if Ottawa replicates what they did last year...Dubnyk may not be the starter and the Oilers may not be all that good again.

The other roster move I'd consider is keeping Anderson instead of MDZ. Because I don't know how folks are in your league regarding goalies (ie-if most guys keep 2, 3...how easy it is to grab an okay guy on waivers) I might take Anderson. In our league (12 manager, keep 12) it's easy to pick up a good 2nd goalie on waivers. Not so easy to pick up a good blueliner, for whatever reason.

But the other guys (Letang, all your forwards) are legit, established scorers. Gotta keep them.

I...am your father.

Man you guys are convincing about the Dmen. (not Dubnyk and Anderson, sorry I think one of the two will be great and in weekly lineups I'll use both to great avail all season if there is one)
    But the Dmen.... maybe I do go with Eriksson and forget MDZ and Shatty and keep Letang and Enstrom.

Something to think about.

and if you think the Oilers suck this year, you're wrong!

Dobber Sports Ninja

and if you think the Oilers suck this year, you're wrong!
    someone please sticky that...