Thread: Mike Green

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Mike Green

Anyone know what he did during the lock-out? Is he in game shape?

I finally got him in trade last year (straight-up for Brent Burns) after trying for 3 years, so I'm sticking with him on principle, even if he never returns to 70 point form.

In September I believed in a bounce-back year, hoping for between 45-55 points. Whether or not that happens may depend on whether he's ready to go, or whether he lags behind those who've been playing in the AHL or overseas.

So....anyone know what he's been up to? What are you expecting from him this year?
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Padawan

He maynot be in game shape...but he's finally healthy (at least as healthy as he's been in a very long time).

...and from what I hear healthier than B.Burns these days (if that is possible)...nice trade by you.

I'm known as the "kiss of death" but I acquired Green at the cost of P.Kane 2 years ago. I'm giving him one more year.
    RFHL: 12 Member League Founded 1989 Rochester, NY
    Limited 10 Positional Player Keeper League
    G, A, PTS, 2W+OL, SV%, GAA
    C: Tavares, Kopitar, BJugstad, Kesler, Fabbri
    LW: Hall, Benn, Voracek, Fabbri
    RW: Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, MacKinnon
    D: Hedman, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Parayko, S. Jones, Pietrangelo
    G: Price, Murray

Dobber Sports Stud

If Green is healthy I have no doubt he will put up points, probably not to the same extend as he did in the past, but among the best for sure. I myself would trade Burns for Green, at every oppertunity.

I really do believe this could be a huge year for him, and Ovechkin to, Backstrom as well if also healthy.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Health will be key to Green's success as an offensive-minded defenseman, as will be whether the Caps put him in position to play to his strengths. Green has long been a critical component of the Washington Capitals’ offensive attack, but he was placed in the best position to succeed offensively under former coach Bruce Boudreau during the 2008-09 and 2009-10 campaigns. Consider the percentage of non-neutral shifts Green started in the offensive zone over the course of the past four seasons and compare it to his average points per game

Year Off. Zone Start % Points Per Game
    2008-09 62.2 1.07
    2009-10 57.4 1.01
    2010-11 52 0.49
    2011-12 50 0.22

Green’s decline as a productive fantasy defenseman can be attributed to a number of different factors. These include nagging injuries, the performance of his teammates and (bad) luck. But where and how a player is used plays a significant role in his fantasy production, and it’s clear (for better or for worse) the Caps gave Green more defensive responsibilities during the past two seasons.
    Mike Schmidt
    Follow me on Twitter: @MikeTSchmidt
    Check out my fantasy hockey musings: http://soicyhockey.com/

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTSchmidt View Post
    Health will be key to Green's success as an offensive-minded defenseman, as will be whether the Caps put him in position to play to his strengths. Green has long been a critical component of the Washington Capitals’ offensive attack, but he was placed in the best position to succeed offensively under former coach Bruce Boudreau during the 2008-09 and 2009-10 campaigns. Consider the percentage of non-neutral shifts Green started in the offensive zone over the course of the past four seasons and compare it to his average points per game

Year Off. Zone Start % Points Per Game
    2008-09 62.2 1.07
    2009-10 57.4 1.01
    2010-11 52 0.49
    2011-12 50 0.22

Green’s decline as a productive fantasy defenseman can be attributed to a number of different factors. These include nagging injuries, the performance of his teammates and (bad) luck. But where and how a player is used plays a significant role in his fantasy production, and it’s clear (for better or for worse) the Caps gave Green more defensive responsibilities during the past two seasons.
    part of this is chicken and egg though as well

if he isnt producing arent the guys who are going to get the more favorable starts

it becomes a convoluted race to the bottom

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Yeah, it certainly depends on the rest of the roster around him and how the minutes are distributed in various opportunities. Given his offensive ability and defensive deficiencies, I'd like to see Green given easier minutes. However, if he doesn't produce, others will certainly get the favorable offensive opportunities both at even strength and on the power play.
    Mike Schmidt
    Follow me on Twitter: @MikeTSchmidt
    Check out my fantasy hockey musings: http://soicyhockey.com/

Dobber Sports Initiate

As far as I know he did not play anywhere but did practise. And I remember a report on here just can't find it that he looks really good and determined to get back to where he was.
    Points only, 26 team keeper league. keep 8 + 4 prospects. 2 LW,2 RW, 2C, 4 D and G. 1 point goal,1 point assist
    Goalies. 2 points win, 1 for O/T or Shoot out loss, 3 for SO, 2 for assist, 10 for goal. Minus 1 for a loss
    Draft 8 more through draft. Need to have 11 on main team, 9 on reserve. Once roster set, can add 1 injured reserve spot.

Roster:
    LW JVR, Steen, Hagelin
    C Malkin, E. Staal, Nelson
    RW Okposo, Wheeler, Donskoi
    D Demers, Pulock, Savard, Vlasic
    G Holtby

prospects: Frost, Sprong, Andersson, Bear, Niku, Katchouk

Dobber Sports Veteran

At least he is healthy.

Whether he can ever regain some of his form from 3 years ago, only time will tell. I would consider drafting him in the later rounds of my draft.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???