Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Corey Perry situation - UPDATE: cleared waivers; contract terminated

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Corey Perry situation - UPDATE: cleared waivers; contract terminated

It's said that the event happened in Nashville with sponsors and employees. And an employee brought up Perry's inappropriate behaviour to Blackhawks management, so I would think what he did wasn't hugely public, and maybe something he said to the employee with little witnesses.

Chicago's schedule around that time:
    November 16th - vs Tampa
    November 17th - Event in question.
    November 18th - @ Nashville
    November 19th - vs Buffalo
    November 21st - Perry still was at practice with the team (the video passing pucks to Bedard). Rumoured this is when the incident was brought to management.
    November 22nd - @ Columbus. He walked from the hotel on his own (not on the team bus). He was Scratched for this game.
    November 28th - Perry Waived
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Corey Perry situation - UPDATE: cleared waivers; contract terminated

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    It's said that the event happened in Nashville with sponsors and employees. And an employee brought up Perry's inappropriate behaviour to Blackhawks management, so I would think what he did wasn't hugely public, and maybe something he said to the employee with little witnesses.

Chicago's schedule around that time:
    November 16th - vs Tampa
    November 17th - Event in question.
    November 18th - @ Nashville
    November 19th - vs Buffalo
    November 21st - Perry still was at practice with the team (the video passing pucks to Bedard). Rumoured this is when the incident was brought to management.
    November 22nd - @ Columbus. He walked from the hotel on his own (not on the team bus). He was Scratched for this game.
    November 28th - Perry Waived
    If the event was on 11/17 that would contradict the ESPN report, which stated that the incident occurred on 11/21:

"Sources told ESPN's Emily Kaplan that Perry indeed traveled with the team to Columbus last Tuesday, a day before the game, and an incident occurred that day involving a team employee. Davidson said Perry, who did not play in the team's 7-3 loss, was "immediately pulled" from the game once the Blackhawks were notified, and at that point, the club began an investigation."

Or maybe it's just shoddy reporting and phrasing from ESPN. Not exactly the most reliable source for hockey info so wouldn't be surprised.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    If the event was on 11/17 that would contradict the ESPN report, which stated that the incident occurred on 11/21:

"Sources told ESPN's Emily Kaplan that Perry indeed traveled with the team to Columbus last Tuesday, a day before the game, and an incident occurred that day involving a team employee. Davidson said Perry, who did not play in the team's 7-3 loss, was "immediately pulled" from the game once the Blackhawks were notified, and at that point, the club began an investigation."

Or maybe it's just shoddy reporting and phrasing from ESPN. Not exactly the most reliable source for hockey info so wouldn't be surprised.
    Ya I think there's a bit of confusion with that statement. I think the way the news broke has a lot to do with it.

I would think there was confusion between reported date of incident and when it happened. Like Nov21st is when the employee notified the team, but Kaplan thought it happened on that date.

"immediately pulled from the game" should have been phrased as "immediately taken out of the lineup". The game hadn't started yet when they made the decision, so it's not like he was on the bench Nov21st and was taken off in the 2nd period.

Dobber Sports All-Star

George Laraque says that he knows what happened with Corey Perry, but won't say what it is. He also shot down the "rumor" going around on social media. Which I'm happy to hear.
    https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/geor...rry-blackhawks

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    George Laraque says that he knows what happened with Corey Perry, but won't say what it is. He also shot down the "rumor" going around on social media. Which I'm happy to hear.
    https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/geor...rry-blackhawks
    I hate when reporters do this:
    "I know what happened, trust me, but I won't say". I know it's supposed to give credibility to him saying what didn't happen, but it's so clickbaity to me.

The Seeker

Way too much talk about a dirt ball jerk old has been. Moving on.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I hate when reporters do this:
    "I know what happened, trust me, but I won't say". I know it's supposed to give credibility to him saying what didn't happen, but it's so clickbaity to me.
    I agree, but we do get some perspective from a guy who has some connections.....and he has nothing to lose or gain by saying that the rumor is false.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

https://twitter.com/spittinchiclets/...679596/photo/1

Perry releases a statement.

Confirms it was an alcohol-related incident and apologises. Interesting he didn't enter the NHL's program.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares, Hertl
    LW - DeBrincat, Boldy, Lafreniere
    RW - Meier, Miller, Boeser, Nichushkin
    D - Dobson, Karlsson
    G - Jarry, Luukkonen

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Confirms it was an alcohol-related incident and apologises. Interesting he didn't enter the NHL's program.
    Well there is this.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/ex-...001425515.html

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Corey Perry situation - UPDATE: on waivers for contract termination

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/bl...ain-unanswered

This article is the first solid breakdown I have seen regarding both the contractual rules and indications on what actually happened.

A couple good points:

my emphasis

This is super important.

Overall, the next move belongs to the NHLPA and whatever decision it makes will be important. The PA puts A LOT of emphasis on players having guaranteed contracts and even if Perry does not want to fight this the PA should want to fight it as precedent setting. The examples in the article point to multiple times where players who were convicted of crimes got payouts after contract terminations (Richards, E. Kane) so the PA allowing Perry's contract to be terminated for nothing should be something the PA fights against.

The PA has 60 days to file a grievance from the date when his contract is formally terminated.
    As always, thank you for the breakdown and insight. Was curious what was going on here.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Retired goalie Scott Darling blasts NHL/NHLPA player assistance program: 'They're monsters'
    Is the article title.

This seems pretty relevant.
    I'm doubling down on my theory that:

1. Perry did something inappropriate while drunk/high
    2. Perry "stepped away" or was "pushed away" by the team.
    3. Team said enter Substance Abuse Program
    4. Perry said No.
    5. Contract is terminated.

It is impossible to know WHY Perry would say no, and it does not really matter. Perhaps he did not want help, perhaps he had heard bad things like what Darling says in the article. In either event Perry is likely in a position financially where he could walk away from the remaining $1.5mil on his contract.

Again, the termination and the PA's next moves will have wider reverberations between the two entities.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Sage

That's about as much of an apology as one could ask for. Gotta respect that. Hope he gets whatever help he needs and that he makes everything with right anyone who was harmed in any way due to his actions.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Genius

Finally we now know what happened. He got drunk and slept with Bedard's Mom. Case closed. Moving on.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    That's about as much of an apology as one could ask for. Gotta respect that. Hope he gets whatever help he needs and that he makes everything with right anyone who was harmed in any way due to his actions.
    100% agree - good to see him take ownership for whatever happened and also debunk the crap that is out there. Addiction is a disease, first step in battling it is acceptance. Wish him well in his fight.

Dobber Sports Titan

So it's no where near the same level or severity, but when I was in University I got caught drinking underage at residences and I was forced to go to meetings with the head RA weekly for 6 months, AA meetings at the school until they said otherwise, I was forced into volunteer hours, and I was told I couldn't be caught with alcohol for 6months even when I turned of age. I was on my 2nd beer of the night. If you don't have a problem, these programs are pretty strong.

Perry could easily not have been that drunk and did something. He might not actually have problems with alcohol and is using it as an excuse for actions he did. And because of it not actually being a problem he might not want to go through an official program because it can be excessive.

Pat McAfee has been on record saying how BS the NFL's drug testing policy is once you're in the program and it's almost built to keep ppl in it. NHL's assistance program might be horrible for someone who doesn't have a problem.

Or he has a legit problem, and the program is not an effective use of time and knows going outside of the NHL program will give him a better chance at bettering himself.