Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Colborne slow start

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Colborne slow start

0 goals, 3 assists in 7 AHL games to start the season. Anyone have some insight into the slow start? I know he wasn't the same after returning from injury last season - is that still bothering him? Is he still a high end prospect (he turns 23 in January)?
    24teams;27players(20roster,7bench)dynasty(full keeper);
    Cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    pool points:
    F/C: G 4pts; A 4pts; +/- 2pts
    D(min5,max9): G 8pts; A 5pts; +/- 4pts
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 4pts
    extra points for PPP

F:Kucherov,Kessel,Thornton,Galchenyuk,Hornqvist,Tr ochek,Atkinson,Jenner,SamBennett,Namestnikov,Point ,DShore,ZSanford,DStrome,ANylander,Guentzel,Kapane n,Kamenev
    D:Klingberg,Vatanen,Krug,Stralman,Pulock,Hanifin,W alman
    G:Fleury,Murray

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Another zero point night tonight. But really when you consider what they gave up and the potential he has I don't see any of this as a big loss. Disappointing? Yes...so far. but there is still time.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

His struggles are part of an overall Marlie problem this year, there arent many players outside of Mark Fraser, Dylan Yeo, Greg McKegg, Leo Komarov, Kenny Ryan and Jussi Rynnna's playing well at the moment...

They are also carrying 28 players with Matt Frattin coming soon... (3 goalies, 8 defence 17 forwards)... Toronto ended thier ECHL affiliation with Reading and was working on one with Ft. Wayne when it fell through... Currrently Sam Carrick is the only Toronto property assigned temperarly to Idaho.... Its hard to hold practices and manage a roster with 6+ extra bodys needing extra time... Burke and staff have dropped the ball on what is a huge year of development, but they likely expected not to have a lockout in which case the Leafs would have Komarov, Frattin, Gardiner, Holzer, Scrivens and Kadri/Ashton/Aucoin...

Gardiner has nights where he is better than the AHL... followed by nights hes been terrible... his last 2 nights in Abbotsford have been extreamly forgettable with terrible play off the puck...

Scrivens has looked extreamly shakey... very different from when I've watched him the past 2 years...

As far as Colborne, you may read his profile and note his struggles at the end of last year... Also watching him game in and game out, he doesn't use his size effectively or go to the dirty areas a Center such as him should go.... Tonight he took the puck twice from shooting lanes to the outside in poor percentage areas on Leland Irving....

I like what Colborne could be, but I just dont see him getting there... very risky prospect with big upside if he ever 'gets it'... Also look at the numbers and talent around Toronto currently, any prospect in the system currently is a dice roll on if they will be fantasy relevent soon (outside of Frattin and Gardiner)...

My current favorites to be useful for the Leafs aren't high end players or useful fantasy players and aren't on many radars: Greg Scott, Jerry D'Amigo, Nic Deschamps, Mike Zigomanis, Komarov, Holzer and Paul Ranger and Rynnnas... But I don't advise anyone to take a chance on any of them...

Also Stuart Percy, Tyler Biggs, Matt Finn are likely to feed into the major competition for jobs soon and will likely be held down, not worth consideration yet in my eyes.... Only Morgan Reilly seems to be a prospect worth holding for the Leafs at the current moment...

I will say Burke has a solid set of prospects to compete on many levels, but interms of Fantasy Relevency, avoid the Leafs...
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Stud

"As far as Colborne, you may read his profile and note his struggles at the end of last year... Also watching him game in and game out, he doesn't use his size effectively or go to the dirty areas a Center such as him should go.... Tonight he took the puck twice from shooting lanes to the outside in poor percentage areas on Leland Irving....

I like what Colborne could be, but I just dont see him getting there... very risky prospect with big upside if he ever 'gets it'..."

Totally agree with this. I have watched two Marlies games this year and Colborne has looked disengaged. I was really disappointed in his effort. I was thinking about acquiring him but have no interest in owning him now. I think he will be surpassed by others before long if he doesn't pick up his play. I don't know if it's a lack of talent or effort but either way I don't want to own him.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

He could pull a Blake Wheeler and put it all together in a few years - too early to write him off, with that size and skill set. He will get the benefit of the doubt over smaller prospects, but that is just how it works.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    He could pull a Blake Wheeler and put it all together in a few years - too early to write him off, with that size and skill set. He will get the benefit of the doubt over smaller prospects, but that is just how it works.
    In the meantime he should learn how to play a sound two-way game so that he can stay in the lineup when he does get to Toronto. Once his foot is in the door then the Wheeler break-out becomes more possible.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

-2 last night (worst on the team) in a 6-4 win - ugly.
    pool points:
    extra points for PPP

F:Kucherov,Kessel,Thornton,Galchenyuk,Hornqvist,Tr ochek,Atkinson,Jenner,SamBennett,Namestnikov,Point ,DShore,ZSanford,DStrome,ANylander,Guentzel,Kapane n,Kamenev

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

There is still lots of the season left. I would'nt read too much into it.

Dobber Sports Veteran

From a Leafs blog:

Marlies coach Dallas Eakins was not pleased with the effort shown by Nazem Kadri and Joe Colborne last evening in Houston and has sat down the young forwards for the contest against the Texas Stars tonight.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

The Great One

Might have worked cause Colborne got a couple points and Kadri 3.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I completely agree with Jason's assessment on Colborne. Too early to write him off, but very risky. I watched him play over the weekend and he was pretty much invisible until the third period, when he got his nose broken in a fight. He's having a tough go of it right now.

Dobber Sports Deity

He's always been known as a poor mans Joe Thornton. Right now, he's looking like a poor mans dog. Mangy, wimpy and moaping around.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Seems like a poor man's Tim Connolly to me...not impressed with what I've seen.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
    Seems like a poor man's Tim Connolly to me...

Ouch. Does it get much worse than that?
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
    Seems like a poor man's Tim Connolly to me...not impressed with what I've seen.
    That would make him "Tiny Tim" from A Christmas Carol, the poor kid with the crutch. Right in time for Christmas. But seriously - egads he's had a bad season so far - very tempted to move on but just can't bring myself to waive him.
    pool points:
    extra points for PPP