Thread: Ward or Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Ward or Bobrovsky

So.... Is this just a hot streak or should I look at trading Ward and keeping Bob as one of my 7 keepers? Am I insane to even consider this? League and info in sig. Right now I have Ward as a lock as one of my 7 keepers.
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Ace

With Davidson and the Finnish GM on board now, the return they got for Nash + Atkinson and Johansen + guys like Letestu, Calvert playing well Columbus is a different team, no longer the total punching bag and one that plays very hard, strong on the puck, grinding hockey.

That said, this is most likely a hot streak (Bob had several of these in Philly too) since Bob thrives on consistent work and confidence. The real test with him, as it was in Philly, is when he or the team struggles for 3-4 games and his confidence dims...he could never get it back in Philly because they did not stick with him.

I like Ward as the better option now until both Bob and Columbus shows more of a consistent run of good play through the usual ups/downs of a season. Ward has a strong track record and Carolina is a better team, good O and great potential on the back end to help their G.

I expect Ward to come back from his injury fine and, if Carolina keeps Semin, I expect they will be right in the thick of things for another playoff berth...
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)

Dobber Sports Wizard

ward is not a top option unless your league has saves as a category and even then it is debatable if he is a top option

i would absolutely keep bob over ward

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas0Aequitas View Post
    So.... Is this just a hot streak or should I look at trading Ward and keeping Bob as one of my 7 keepers? Am I insane to even consider this? League and info in sig. Right now I have Ward as a lock as one of my 7 keepers.
    Not sure but I'm drinking the same kool-aid. Thinking of keeping Bob over Ryan Miller.
    12 team Rotisserie league (No positional requirements: 7 Keepers of which 2 must be Farm eligible).
    Active Roster consists of: 6 FW, 4 D, 2 G and 6 Bench.
    Scoring Cats: G (10x), A (10x), SOG (10x), HT (10x), BS (10x), PIM (10x), TK (10x), +/- (5x); W (10x), SV (10x), SO (5x)

FW: ​Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Keller, Jarvis, Barbashev, Kyrou, Raymond
    D: Dobson, Nurse, Sergachev, Andersson, Zadorov, York
    G: Oettinger, Raanta, Copley, Vejmelka
    IR: Hamilton
    Farm (165 games for F/D and 100 games for G): Wolf, Fantilli

Dobber Sports Stud

I think you gotta keep Bob. Ward has been in this league long. His numbers are about average. Carolina's team is improving but I don't see Ward's numbers improving that much.

In a keeper league, Ward's value should be on the way down as he is putting on some mileage in goal.

Bobrovsky is only in his 3rd year. If you look at his stats, he has pulled long streaks of really really good, top quality goal tending. Goldman's article on NHL also said that Bob's positioning has improved. That paired with his raw ability to make athletic saves makes him a better goalie. He will probably regress at some point but as he plays more and more, he will get more experience and improve. He has plenty more years ahead of him too. Unfortunately he is playing for Columbus but it seems that Bob may be the answer for their goaltending issues, so now they can focus on improving their lines.

Columbus has good D-men, just can't seem to get healthy. They are all young too. As they play together longer in front of Bob, I think they will only improve.

IMO, if you were comparing a top 5-10 goalie with proven history with Bob, I'll still take the safer bet with the top 5-10 goalie. However, Ward IMO is around 15-20. Right around the middle.

I'd take the high risk high reward, less proven but high potential young goalie over the midrange (at best) goalie that has lots of mileage.

Bobrovsky for me.
    8 Team Yahoo Weekly H2H (1yr)
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 1Util, 2G, 4BN, 3IR
    G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, L, GA, GAA, SV, SA, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Eric Staal, Getzlaf, Ribeiro
    LW: Lupul (LW,RW), Hartnell, Elias (C,LW), Cammalleri (C,LW), Ott (C,LW)
    RW: Malkin (C,RW), Backes (C,RW), Seguin (C,RW), Callahan
    D: Pietrangelo, Ekman-Larsson, Subban, Bouwmeester, Streit, Burns (D,RW), Wisniewski
    G: Rask, Backstrom, Bobrovsky
    IR: Spezza (C), Oshie (C,RW)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Ok guys gonna bump this thread. This is a tough one. With standard H2H W, SV%, GAA, SHO has Ward really shown he can be a top fantasy goalie in his career? Is Bob just on a hot streak though?

Bob seems on the way up in an organization that hired one of the best in John Davidson and a great up and coming GM in Jarmo Kekalainen.
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Ace

You have Lundy. Take a chance on Bob. Clb will become the St Louis Blues of the east.
    12 team Rotisserie league (No positional requirements: 7 Keepers of which 2 must be Farm eligible).
    Active Roster consists of: 6 FW, 4 D, 2 G and 6 Bench.
    Scoring Cats: G (10x), A (10x), SOG (10x), HT (10x), BS (10x), PIM (10x), TK (10x), +/- (5x); W (10x), SV (10x), SO (5x)

FW: ​Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Keller, Jarvis, Barbashev, Kyrou, Raymond
    D: Dobson, Nurse, Sergachev, Andersson, Zadorov, York
    G: Oettinger, Raanta, Copley, Vejmelka
    IR: Hamilton
    Farm (165 games for F/D and 100 games for G): Wolf, Fantilli

Dobber Sports Stud

I stick by what I said earlier. We have seen the ceiling of Ward can do. I think we are just starting to see what Bobrovsky can do. He has done this before and has come down to earth but his streaks that he gets on are pretty long. As he gets more experience and gets better, he will be able to be more consistent. And he is way younger so he will get more years of play as a starter.
    8 Team Yahoo Weekly H2H (1yr)
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 1Util, 2G, 4BN, 3IR
    G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, L, GA, GAA, SV, SA, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Eric Staal, Getzlaf, Ribeiro
    LW: Lupul (LW,RW), Hartnell, Elias (C,LW), Cammalleri (C,LW), Ott (C,LW)
    RW: Malkin (C,RW), Backes (C,RW), Seguin (C,RW), Callahan
    D: Pietrangelo, Ekman-Larsson, Subban, Bouwmeester, Streit, Burns (D,RW), Wisniewski
    G: Rask, Backstrom, Bobrovsky
    IR: Spezza (C), Oshie (C,RW)