Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Drafted] 3rd overall - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Columbus Blue Jackets

I...am your father.

Default [Drafted] 3rd overall - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Columbus Blue Jackets

WOW!

Too risky for a move like this. The Big 3 were head and shoulders above the others. Terrible pick. Great offense - elite. But not in Pulujarvi's class at all.

http://www.dobberprospects.com/pierre-luc-dubois/

Dubois could make the team right away - this is a team with room for a guy like him.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: [Drafted] 3rd overall - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Columbus Blue Jackets

Must've been sold on the idea of him playing C after his transition for the past half season
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Veteran

I was surprised, but Jarmo has made some darn good surprise picks before.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Just terrible asset management to not find a way to move down for this.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Not an argument that could be made.

Dobber Sports Titan

Did anyone catch that they gave away 10 seconds early that they weren't taking Puljujarvi when they let their head AMATEUR scout make the pick, with Pulj playing in a pro league?
    Just an interesting bit.
    I also wonder if they didn't think they could flip with Edmonton since Edm may flip a C for a D, and thus would be looking for another C to fill in, instead of another scoring winger.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

This won't be the worst draft pick in the history of a John Davidson front office I can guarantee that!
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Absolutely. There was a significant gap between 3rd and 4th and I can't believe they didn't take advantage of it. This just might have a huge negative effect in management when the dust settles in a couple of years.

Dobber Sports Ninja

It must have been all those last minute comparisons to Jamie Benn.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Icon

It sounds like Columbus had Dubois as a better fit for their team than Puljujarvi. Columbus wanted to make sure they got Dubois so they could only trade down as far as #4. Edmonton knew that Columbus wanted Dubois while the Oilers wanted Puljujarvi. There was no deal to be made since both teams wanted different players and both teams knew that.

Columbus can just pretend that they did not win the 3rd pick in the lottery and there team would look exactly the same as it did even though they did with the 3rd pick.

Dobber Sports Master

good move by Chia reading between the lines

Dobber Sports Deity

I think it's way too early to determine if this was a bad pick or not. He may not be as highly rated as Puljujarvi, but who's to say he wasn't the better fit for this team long term.

Time will tell.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

No doubt time will tell but at this moment, according to the best hockey scouts anyway, Puljujarvi is ranked 3rd best prospect by the margin. Regardless of whether you couldn't trade down, I think they had to take him especially that high up in th picks. You can take a player to fill a position later in the draft but not where they were. That's just a step backwards. You have to play the odds and this is a gamble they shouldn't have taken.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    No doubt time will tell but at this moment, according to the best hockey scouts anyway, Puljujarvi is ranked 3rd best prospect by the margin. Regardless of whether you couldn't trade down, I think they had to take him especially that high up in th picks. You can take a player to fill a position later in the draft but not where they were. That's just a step backwards. You have to play the odds and this is a gamble they shouldn't have taken.

I guess that's why he's there and we are here slinging our arms over our armchairs. Someone has to make the tough calls.

If Dubois turns out to be the #1 center the Blue Jackets desire, then was it really that dumb of a pick? Was the drop off between Puljujarvi to Dubois that great where as one could well turn out to be a franchise center and one could turn out to be a franchise winger. What's more valuable in the NHL today? Ask any NHL GM how hard it is to trade for a true #1 center. It's like trading for a #1 Dman; tough. Puljujarvi was ranked the third best prospect and I am sure a lot of teams had Dubois at number four.

As an Oilers fan, I am ecstatic that Puljujarvi fell to us, but I am also a Blue Jackets fan (I know, strange eh) and I don't think this pick was nearly as bad as many are making it out to be, assuming Dubois turns into what Kekalainen thinks he has.

Thats why I say, time will tell. IF Dubois cant make it as a center, and has to switch to the wing, then I will agree with you but this is way too early to say it was a bad pick.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I guess that's why he's there and we are here slinging our arms over our armchairs. Someone has to make the tough calls.

If Dubois turns out to be the #1 center the Blue Jackets desire, then was it really that dumb of a pick? Was the drop off between Puljujarvi to Dubois that great where as one could well turn out to be a franchise center and one could turn out to be a franchise winger. What's more valuable in the NHL today? Ask any NHL GM how hard it is to trade for a true #1 center. It's like trading for a #1 Dman; tough. Puljujarvi was ranked the third best prospect and I am sure a lot of teams had Dubois at number four.

As an Oilers fan, I am ecstatic that Puljujarvi fell to us, but I am also a Blue Jackets fan (I know, strange eh) and I don't think this pick was nearly as bad as many are making it out to be, assuming Dubois turns into what Kekalainen thinks he has.

Thats why I say, time will tell. IF Dubois cant make it as a center, and has to switch to the wing, then I will agree with you but this is way too early to say it was a bad pick.
    You could basically say that about most picks. There are a lot of 'if's' in the draft, but the top 3 were less riskier 'if's' this year then anyone after them, I think.