Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye mister_mcgoo

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Goodbye mister_mcgoo

I learned by email last night that mister_mcgoo will no longer be with us. A lifetime ban apparently. I have nothing further to say about that - it is none of my business. It is what it is.

However, I do wish to share my personal experience with the person who had that user name.

Several years ago when I first let it be known on the forums that I was doing some development work in Cambodia with the poor, he (Scott), immediately reached out and said that he and his wife wanted to help financially - and they did. Moreover, they continued to generously support initiatives over here on a regularly basis to the point where they have now started a monthly subscription to support a project providing service to children with disabilities - they asked me to vet the project to be sure it was on the up and up.

Scott has additionally provided me with much needed consulting advice when I had an IT challenge on a project or campaign, giving willing of his time and going beyond the call in terms of trying to create even better solutions than I could imagine.

I use his NHL schedule tool on his website as I have found nothing better in that regard.

I will miss his insights into hockey from a fantasy perspective - one of the things he is, in that regard, is a critical thinker.

That is all.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: R.I.P. mister_mcgoo

His comments outside of the lounge and general hockey sub-forums were really good. Inside those, he was abrasive, made some users feel small, and constantly looked for the line against Moderators just so he knew where to cross it. He wanted definitive answers on rules so he can find the loopholes, and go back and say, “but hey you said this was an infraction, he’s doing this too”. It was bound to happen sooner or later. However I wish he was cut off from the Lounge and General chat because I really liked his input on trades/players.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Stud

Wow I have been overwhelmed at work for last two weeks. I must have missed a lot! I was terrified when I saw the title, but thankfully it's just a ban.
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's great to know he seems to be a half-decent guy in real life, because he was the complete opposite here.

With all due respect all of that stuff he's done to help you is great, but that does NOT excuse his type of behaviour on here. Doing good things on one side doesn't give you a hall pass to be bad on the other. I firmly believe if you're a good person, then you're a good person that lives by a moral standard that includes treating people with respect. Debating with people is one thing, but antagonizing, provoking, and insulting is another.

It's like people that go to church to make up for the fact that they're lying cheating scumbags the other 99% of the week. Sorry but I'm not buying what those people are selling.

Edit: I'd also like to add that I also enjoyed his fantasy hockey insight. It's too bad that his personality is how I'll remember him instead.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

jeez can someone edit the title, i assumed the worst and though he passed away.

i never enjoyed his posts since he started trolling during the habs playoff run, constantly insulting forum members and running his mouth. since then i've chosen to ignore him, but it was hard to enjoy some threads when he was often part of derailing them.

i haven't caught what happened in the last few days to warrant the lifetime ban, but i'll assume it came from Dobber as he should be the only one with that power. and if that indeed is so, then he must have really screwed up so it must have been warranted.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    i still think a lifetime ban is harsh, perhaps Dobber can give him a second chance in a year? again i don't know the details which lead to the ban so perhaps even a year is not enough time.
    He's had like 5 bans since i've joined. i think he's had enough warnings.

Dobber Sports Wizard

He'll probably show up again with a different handle, anyway.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Banned

Good riddance. Once a jerk always a jerk.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    He'll probably show up again with a different handle, anyway.
    Miss. Mcgoo?

Keep it respectful. This will not turn into a "pile on" thread.

Thank you.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Goodbye mister_mcgoo

Great story Shoeless.

I remember when I first joined the boards.
    One of my very first threads that I decided to strongly opinionate myself in was a "Who will run the PIT PP?" thread. (Summer 2010)
    I think it was just after Gonchar signed with OTT.
    The candidates for discussion were Kris Letang, Alex Goligoski, and newly signed Paul Martin.
    I adamantly made my case for Paul Martin.
    I think McGoo was pro-Letang... very strong-willed about it... if I recall.

Turns out... I was wrong (very, very wrong)... McGoo was right.
    He has some really sharp hockey insights - a knack for both the fantasy hockey aspect and the real-NHL hockey valuations on players.
    I'm going to miss that a lot.

People... we have a lot of different sides.
    I think people know that I, too, can be very (very...) abrasive on the forums at times.
    Part of it is what I call my "necessary evil" - sometimes a bit of yelling at people here, on the forums, helps me balance myself.
    That doesn't make it acceptable though.
    I've gotten into from time to time with other forum members.
    Some times I've handled it well, sometimes not.

My wife... she is always this beacon of light when we hang out with friends & family.
    People love being around her.
    In our own household, only I get her words of depression, doubt, fear, anger... the rest of the world doesn't get that side of her.
    Just me.

These forums... they are some "small world" where we only get a certain area of somebody's character.

I enjoyed hearing that McGoo was a contributor to a great cause.

Dobber Sports Stud

Is this the same Mister McGoo that people ( including many senior posters ) were congratulating a few days ago for passing 19K posts and his contributions to the forum?

2014olympicgold, I don't know you or him but it seems a bit unfair for someone who's been a member for less than a year to generalize in your characterization of someone who has been on these boards for 6 years and contributed 19K posts. He must have contributed a lot of positives to have lasted that long.

Bondon, your comments sound a bit judgemental as well.

I know he ruffled a lot of feathers lately with the whole deleted posts argument, but from the sounds of it even his distractors seemed to value his fantasy hockey input. I'm not sure what one has to do to receive a lifetime ban.

Seriuos question 2014olympicgold- how do you know he's had 5 bans since you joined last Feb. Is that posted some where, is there a list or something?
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Genius

Sorry to hear about this.

For sure had my differences at times over the yrs. with McGoo but ,
    I will miss his banter.

I think it's sad when a group gets to a point where we can't learn to tolerate
    the "words" of another member.
    Not saying he didn't continue to push the buttons but , I was taught to walk
    away!

Thanks for the insight Shoeless , I believe it's important to know that side of
    McGoo.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Seriuos question 2014olympicgold- how do you know he's had 5 bans since you joined last Feb. Is that posted some where, is there a list or something?
    Everytime he had like a ban, or was given an infraction he opened a thread asking the mods why (5 bans was a guess, prolly less). The point was he was warned often. I really liked him in the Trades/Player discussion threads, but him in general lounge chat and general hockey chat he was abrasive, and quite frankly talked down to anyone who didn’t see it his way. His arguments were very “this is how I see it, and that’s the only way”. He derailed threads often (and I got caught in them and pulled them off track as well). 19k posts and 6yrs is great, but since I’ve been here his lounge and hockey chat talk wasn’t needed.

I’m still under a yr old, and wasn’t really into the threads until June-ish, but since that time he was on the level of TM in just the General Hockey Chat Thread and Lounge Threads. Except he always wanted to know where the line was so he can run right beside it and touch his toe over and see if the line moves back.

I loved him in analysis threads, not general chat.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Everytime he had like a ban, or was given an infraction he opened a thread asking the mods why (5 bans was a guess, prolly less). The point was he was warned often. I really liked him in the Trades/Player discussion threads, but him in general lounge chat and general hockey chat he was abrasive, and quite frankly talked down to anyone who didn’t see it his way. His arguments were very “this is how I see it, and that’s the only way”. He derailed threads often (and I got caught in them and pulled them off track as well). 19k posts and 6yrs is great, but since I’ve been here his lounge and hockey chat talk wasn’t needed.

I’m still under a yr old, and wasn’t really into the threads until June-ish, but since that time he was on the level of TM in just the General Hockey Chat Thread and Lounge Threads. Except he always wanted to know where the line was so he can run right beside it and touch his toe over and see if the line moves back.

I loved him in analysis threads, not general chat.
    Fair enough and thanks for the reply.

I agree that I dislike threads getting derailed, but as far as anything that goes on in the lounge I think it's everyone's perogative to just stay away from the discussions there if we find them argumentative or distasteful.

I also don't think he is/was the only one to at times be abrasive and single-minded. Again I think it is up to each of us to decide how we want to respond. Often I find it's just better to move on and ignore than engage.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic