Thread: Trade for Tavares rejected

I...am your father.

Default Trade for Tavares rejected

Still with that "KEEP 12" league I mentioned in the Carey Price thread, I had this trade offer rejected:

I give:
    Jamie Benn, Loui Eriksson, Kris Letang

I get:
    Tavares, 2nd round pick this year, 3rd round next year.

This was to a Penguins fan who has Crosby and Malkin. Yeah, he's stacked. But I beat him last year.

For what it's worth, here are my keepers:

Eric Staal, Kopitar, Benn

Kovalchuk, Giroux, Neal, St. Louis (thanks to the Price trade)

Letang, Shattenkirk

Smith, Anderson, Dubnyk

CUSP: Eriksson, Enstrom, MDZ
    I'd like to trade Letang, Benn and Eriksson to upgrade Benn... and then keep Enstrom and MDZ.

Other assets: Strome, Kuznetsov, Conacher, Fleischmann, Visnovsky, Vermette, Johansen, S Kostitsyn, Williams and Berglund.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ninja

Kudos to you for putting out a pretty substantial offer.

Dobber Sports Novice

I'm big on Benn and consider St. Louis the upgrade option on your team. If you were able to turn St. Louis, Letang and Eriksson for Tavares that IMO would be the deal to make.
    Breaking Saad
    10 Team Roto Dynasty League (G/A/(+/-)/GWG/SOG/PIM/HTS/BLKS/W/SO/SV/SV %) 12F,6D,2G - 20 Man Roster, 20 Bench
    Roster
    F: Brassard, N. Foligno, Franzen, T. Johnson, Killorn, Kreider, Okposo, Plekanec, B Shenn, J Staal, Stepan, Vermette
    D: Boychuck, Gudas, Hamilton, Holden, Josi, Trouba
    G: Anderson, Andersen
    Bench
    Huberdeau, Forsberg, Yakupov, Strome, Kucherov, Teravainen, Tarasenko, Saad, Toffoli, B Richards, Nyquist, Maroon, Coyle, Clutterbuck, Penner
    Ceci, Donovan, P Martin, Vatanen,
    Gibson, Lehner, Stalock

2014 1st and 3rd overall draft picks.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Kudos to you for putting out a pretty substantial offer.
    No kidding. That's a huge offer. I can't imagine it was easy to turn down.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Giant

What does his team look like? On paper he looks like a fool to have rejected it, but I'd like to know what his options were.

Also, what type of player can those picks get you?
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Cooley, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think I would rather have Erikksson or Benn than St. Louis. To me it's a matter of an asset continually improving vs. a depreciating one. St. Louis will continue to see his point totals drop, that's just age, whereas Benn and Eriksson are still not even in their prime.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default ...

If he's stacked then obviously he's looking to make moves like yours, trade excess parts for upgrades or picks. It was likely rejected because it is a backwards move. Would you accept the trade if you were in the Pens fan's position?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default ...

Note that you rarely ever get full price when you are trying to offload assets during the offseason unless you target an opponent who is just as desperate as you are to offload as he is to upgrade.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    What does his team look like? On paper he looks like a fool to have rejected it, but I'd like to know what his options were.

Also, what type of player can those picks get you?

Last year I picked Benn eighth overall. The middle of the second round last year had:Phaneuf, Giordano, Mike Smith (my pick), Vrbata, Ray Whitney, Brian Little

third round last year had guys like Erat, Wideman, Hartnell, Erat, Theodore

fourth round last year had Wheeler, Fleischmann (my pick), Hedman, Johansson

etc etc

As for his team - he loves the Penguins, so I played the Letang card. He has 7 or 8 elite kids, and then a bunch of stiffs.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Those a little down on St. Louis, and that seems to be a lot of you -

He had 52 points in his last 50 games. Don't underrate what is left in the tank. If he gets 75 I get what I want. But I think he'll get 85.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by aleco83 View Post
    If he's stacked then obviously he's looking to make moves like yours, trade excess parts for upgrades or picks. It was likely rejected because it is a backwards move. Would you accept the trade if you were in the Pens fan's position?
    Yes, because he has 7 or 8 elite kids/keepers, and then his other 4 keepers are stiffs. Whereas I have 18 real quality keepers and I need to pare them down.

If he were to sub in Eric Staal for Benn, and tweak one of the picks lower, I would still do it. His adding Letang, Staal and Eriksson to his team would be huge. Helps both of us.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Those a little down on St. Louis, and that seems to be a lot of you -

He had 52 points in his last 50 games. Don't underrate what is left in the tank. If he gets 75 I get what I want. But I think he'll get 85.
    I think people get blinded by age that they ignore production...which is actually something I'll be touching on in a little while possibly in article form.

I'll gladly take Martin St.Louis where others don't want him.

Dobber Sports Ace

Yes, because he has 7 or 8 elite kids/keepers, and then his other 4 keepers are stiffs. Whereas I have 18 real quality keepers and I need to pare them down.

If he were to sub in Eric Staal for Benn, and tweak one of the picks lower, I would still do it. His adding Letang, Staal and Eriksson to his team would be huge. Helps both of us.
    He's likely getting blinded by the potential of Tavares (for much the same reason you want to grab Tavares). That's an offer he should take. Either of them. Especially if he has 4 keepers that are low end. I mean all logic says do this trade, it's good for both sides. He loses a great keeper, but gains three, letting him drop 2 of his 4 crappy keepers. Actually I'd be hesitant to do this deal from your end. Your essentially arming him for a run at your title.

Maybe you did something to piss him off though :P
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yes I saw later that he only has 8 true keepers out of 12 slots, not sure why you're so proud of stepping on David when you are clearly the Goliath lol. But now that you've cleared that up it seems a no brainer barring positional depth issues.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Still with that "KEEP 12" league I mentioned in the Carey Price thread, I had this trade offer rejected:

I give:
    Jamie Benn, Loui Eriksson, Kris Letang

I get:
    Tavares, 2nd round pick this year, 3rd round next year.

This was to a Penguins fan who has Crosby and Malkin. Yeah, he's stacked. But I beat him last year.

For what it's worth, here are my keepers:

Eric Staal, Kopitar, Benn

Kovalchuk, Giroux, Neal, St. Louis (thanks to the Price trade)

Letang, Shattenkirk

Smith, Anderson, Dubnyk

CUSP: Eriksson, Enstrom, MDZ
    I'd like to trade Letang, Benn and Eriksson to upgrade Benn... and then keep Enstrom and MDZ.

Other assets: Strome, Kuznetsov, Conacher, Fleischmann, Visnovsky, Vermette, Johansen, S Kostitsyn, Williams and Berglund.
    Sorry for being late in replying (out of country), but I would not make this deal. I REALLY like Tavares (and his ceiling could hit 90), but Benn is not far behind (80 point ceiling). Plus giving up a 50+ point D in Letang and the most consistent scorer the Stars have seen over the last 3-4 years. Not worth it. My humble opinion.
    10 team keeper league dress 4 LW, C, RW, 6 Def and 2 Goalies (gls and asts are a pt for fwds and 1.5 for Def, as is a +, but also -1 for a - forwards and -1 for "D", G - 2 pts for win, 5 for SO and pts for saves)
    LW - Landeskog, Robertson, E. Kane, Guentzel, Huberdeau, Kreider, Schwartz (C/RW)
    C - Stamkos, Zibanijad, Wright, Norris, Seguin (RW), Larkin, Zegras, Zary
    RW - Rantanen, Olofsson, Kuzmenko (LW), Sharangovich (LW/C), Laine, Arvidsson (LW)
    D - M. Anderson, Josi, S. Jones, Toews, Theodore, Faber, , Korchinski, Zellweger, Mintyukov, Larsson, H. Lindholm, K. Miller
    G - Andersen, Gustavsson, Saros, Vejmelka