Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Rinne... "what just happened???"

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Chris. Osgood.
    Maintained his numbers on mediocre to bad New York Islanders and St. Louis Blues teams. "Chris Osgood is a bad goalie" is one of the biggest myths in the NHL. Try again.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    Maintained his numbers on mediocre to bad New York Islanders and St. Louis Blues teams. "Chris Osgood is a bad goalie" is one of the biggest myths in the NHL. Try again.
    1. I'm an Osgood fan. He put up good numbers, he won lots of games, he won cups. I'd vote him into the HHOF. If a guy is successful, he deserves his place.

2. I never said Chris Osgood is a bad goalie. Don't make a quote like that directly after my Osgood comment. I don't appreciate it.

3. Osgood IS the perfect example of a goalie that can excel behind a great system. Detroit, those were good teams. And don't tell me the Islanders and Blues were "mediocre to bad" teams. They were both playoff teams with Osgood. The Blues (who had Pronger!) were a playoff team before they got Osgood (with B.Johnson & Brathwaite). The Islanders were a playoff team even after they lost Osgood, with just Garth Snow.

So, neither of those teams could be considered "bad". Osgood was a goalie whose numbers were as good as the team he was playing for.
    He was a terrific goalie in that respect... adaptable and a reflection of the system/defense in front of him.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; July 23, 2012 at 5:45 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    1. I'm an Osgood fan. He put up good numbers, he won lots of games, he won cups. I'd vote him into the HHOF. If a guy is successful, he deserves his place.

2. I never said Chris Osgood is a bad goalie. Don't make a quote like that directly after my Osgood comment. I don't appreciate it.

3. Osgood IS the perfect example of a goalie that can excel behind a great system. Detroit, those were good teams. And don't tell me the Islanders and Blues were "mediocre to bad" teams. They were both playoff teams with Osgood. The Blues (who had Pronger!) were a playoff team before they got Osgood (with B.Johnson & Brathwaite). The Islanders were a playoff team even after they lost Osgood, with just Garth Snow.

So, neither of those teams could be considered "bad". Osgood was a goalie whose numbers were as good as the team he was playing for.
    He was a terrific goalie in that respect... adaptable and a reflection of the system/defense in front of him.
    Okay, fair enough on the bad goalie comment. I apologize. But I still don't agree with your assertion that it was Osgood who was carried by the teams. He's always been a quality goalie IMO. He was never the most technically proficient goalie (but definitely above average), but he was one of the most mentally strong players ever. It's not easy to play for Detroit, yet he overcame more adversity on a game to game basis than most. Yes, he let in some stinkers, but what did he do after each one? He shut the door.

Just for kicks I looked around a few goalies, both ones considered solid and ones considered elite. I looked at their numbers between different teams and the teams' numbers with different goalies. Then I started wondering why some goalies are responsible for a team's success but other goalies are successful because of their teams - based on public perception. It's like asking what came first, the chicken or the egg? Why are some goalies considered just or even mediocre... or bad (and to be fair, many have called Ozzie bad through the years) even though they post good numbers? And vice versa for the goalies who are considered elite.

My stance is this: You don't backstop a team to SEVERAL Stanley Cups unless you're a very good goalie. Ozzie was a great goalie. The circumstances were just that he happened to play for one of the best lineups in NHL history. Still a great goalie.
    GO WINGS!

Banned

Bryzgalov proved last year that going to a better team doesn't improve your stats. I would highly question anyone who ranks him 2nd overall or even Top 5 in terms of goalies.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks god Weber signed in Nashville.. Now i can have high hopes for Rinne again....
    "dARK wING dUCKS" 2011-2012 CHAMPS

10 Team Points Only Limited Keeper Pool (keep any 12)

Top 12 Forwards, 5 Defense & 2 Goalies Count
    Goals = 1, Assist = 1, Shutout = 3, Win = 2,

F: Kessel, Backstrom, Spezza, Benn, Voracek, Couture, Skinner, Wheeler, Stepan, Gaudreau, Schwartz, Ennis, Brown, Atkinson,
    D: Karlsson, Pieterangelo, Streit, Fowler, Enstrom, Gardiner, Sekera
    G: Price, Rinne, Smith