Thread: Leafs News: LEAFS, KULEMIN HEADED FOR ARBITRATION....

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Leafs News: LEAFS, KULEMIN HEADED FOR ARBITRATION....

gotta believe Leafs really lowballed him (Deservedly or not) to have to go this direction. Is it possible that the Leafs walk away if the decision goes Kulies way?

REPORT: LEAFS FILE FOR ARBITRATION WITH KULEMIN

Sportsnet Staff | July 9, 2012, 8:56 pm

The Toronto Maple Leafs and winger Nikolai Kulemin are headed for arbitration, according to a report in the Toronto Star.

Kulemin, a restricted free agent, earned $2.2 million last year, with a cap hit of $2.35 million. The Maple Leafs cannot offer less than 85 per cent of Kulemin's 2011-12 salary when arbitration hearings begin July 20 in Toronto.

According to Kulemin's agent, Gary Greenstin, the Russian winger is intent on returning to Toronto next season.

"Kulemin loves the city and loves the organization a lot and would like to stay in Toronto," Greenstin told The Star. "But not everything is in my, and Kulemin's, hands.

"I believe the Leafs like him, but now it's strictly business."

The 25-year-old struggled last season, finishing with seven goals and 28 points after notching a career-high 30 goals and 57 points in 2010-11.

Kulemin and the Leafs can negotiate a new deal prior to the hearing. Once in arbitration, both sides present a figure to an arbitrator, who chooses a winner based on a variety of factors.

The Star also reported that the Maple Leafs did not file for arbitration with restricted free agent Cody Franson, while defenceman Korbinian Holzer agreed to terms on a one-year, one-way contract.

Interesting add - i guess Holtzer becomes frontrunner to replace Schenn.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Is Burke still waiting for Parise?? Sorry, I mean Pareeeeezeeee!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Icon

i figure if he gets more then they want maybe the Leafs do move him to a place like Pittsburgh.

Kind of tough though for team looking for forwards, unless they get one back.
    Eric Tangradi?

Dobber Sports Giant

he had a poor year when he was expected to build of the season before in which he was great. id love to see him in NY.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Super Moderator

I have a feeling they'll agree to a deal before it goes to arbitration like most deals do.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Yeah, I can understand Burke not wanting to "reward" him after a disapointing season, but at the same time, he's not a position to be losing assets either (whether it's by walking away, or dumping him to someone else).

I have to believe that now that he's made his point, and both sides have demonstrated their ability to be equally hard assed, both sides will cut the bull and get it done.
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    I have a feeling they'll agree to a deal before it goes to arbitration like most deals do.

Most teams tend to head to arbitration if only to remove the threat of an offer sheet until the hearing is over (if my mind isn't playing tricks on me today).
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)