Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Youngblood's Official '12 NHL Draft Q & A Thread

Dobber Sports Wizard

Hey Dean thanks for taking the time to set up this thread.

This will concern the team in my sig. I've got the 7th pick in the draft and I'm trying to work on a plan B. Plan A was to target a RW with that pick, Teravainen, unless my psychic powers could convince the 6 GM's ahead of me to ignore Yakupov.

Now I have some serious reservations about TT being there at 7 as his stock seems to be on the rise. I feel 7 is too early to grab Collberg, so my question is where to go if Teravainen is gone at that point?

I feel pretty comfortable with where my D is headed. Once their all up I'll have Fowler, Smith, Gudbranson, Orlov, and Clendening. Should I consider grabbing one of Murray, Dumba, or Rielly if TT is gone and secure the 6th future starter? Maybe Faksa if I go forward instead of D with that plan B?

The way I see my team at this point, I'm 2-3 years away from serious contention so I can wait on whoever I pick to mature and get his game sorted on the farm.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for doing this!

My question is, after the high end guys (Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Girgorenko, Teravainen, Forsberg, Collberg, Aberg, Hertl, maybe Faksa), I am having a hard time falling in love with any forwards for fantasy purposes. I have concerns about fantasy upside for guys like Girgensons, Gaunce, Wilson, Sissons, etc. After the first group of guys I mentioned, who are the next 5-10 or so forwards you would target to be good offensive players?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Ross,
    I really like Henrik Samuelsson at the Memorial Cup. In most draft, he's a late first round pick or second round. I though his skating was good and he did use his body to make some space and protect the puck.
    What's wrong with him or what are the things the scouts don't like about his game?
    Thanks!
    It's actually his heavy footed skating style that garners the most criticism. Also, he needs to better control his indiscipline play. However, he's definitely
    A
    Player that I could see sneaking into the first round. I like his aggressive style of play and he has solid finesse to go with it

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Hey Dean thanks for taking the time to set up this thread.

This will concern the team in my sig. I've got the 7th pick in the draft and I'm trying to work on a plan B. Plan A was to target a RW with that pick, Teravainen, unless my psychic powers could convince the 6 GM's ahead of me to ignore Yakupov.

Now I have some serious reservations about TT being there at 7 as his stock seems to be on the rise. I feel 7 is too early to grab Collberg, so my question is where to go if Teravainen is gone at that point?

I feel pretty comfortable with where my D is headed. Once their all up I'll have Fowler, Smith, Gudbranson, Orlov, and Clendening. Should I consider grabbing one of Murray, Dumba, or Rielly if TT is gone and secure the 6th future starter? Maybe Faksa if I go forward instead of D with that plan B?

The way I see my team at this point, I'm 2-3 years away from serious contention so I can wait on whoever I pick to mature and get his game sorted on the farm.
    I think you have a solid plan. Grab TT if available and if not, draft Rielly or Dumba. If you want more NHL certainty then Faksa is a solid option. Depending on where these players fall in the real NhL draft, your fellow GMs could let some unexpected players fall to you (ie Grigorenko, Teravainen). I know a lot of fantasy leagues' draft usually resemble the order of the actual draft so hope for some of these potential offensive players to fall

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by SaveByHexy View Post
    Thanks for doing this!

My question is, after the high end guys (Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Girgorenko, Teravainen, Forsberg, Collberg, Aberg, Hertl, maybe Faksa), I am having a hard time falling in love with any forwards for fantasy purposes. I have concerns about fantasy upside for guys like Girgensons, Gaunce, Wilson, Sissons, etc. After the first group of guys I mentioned, who are the next 5-10 or so forwards you would target to be good offensive players?
    You are looking at long term investments or guys with more associated risk:

Phil Di Giuseppe
    Tim Bozon
    Anton Slepyshev
    Nic Kerdiles
    Scott Kosmachuk
    Mark Jankowski
    Brian Hart
    Kevin Roy
    Nikita Gusev (if drafted)
    Scott Kosmachuk
    Boo Nieves
    Andreas Athanasiou

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
    Hey Deaner,

If the run on tenders starts early do you see any merit to taking one of the big 3 in the 15-20 picks? My keeper league goalie stats are only GAA, and SV%, so which of the big 3 would you take? I realize until we see which teams they are drafted to, its difficult, but how soon do you see them becoming NHLers?

I look forward to seeing how your advice changes after the draft, when you can assess the team needs, and how they fit into it.

Thanks,

Puck
    Ya Goaltending projections depend largely on sherethey are drafted so remind post draft.

As of now, I like the goalies in this order: Dansk, Vasilevskiy, Subban but I actually think they get drafted in the exact opposite order haha.

Dobber Sports Deity

Matthew Murray vs Brandon Whitney

Who do you project as the better goalie prospect going forward?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Matthew Murray vs Brandon Whitney

Who do you project as the better goalie prospect going forward?
    As an OHL guy, I prefer Matthew Murray. Both great prospects but I feel as though Murray has the raw skill to eventually become a great goalie.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

With the players that slid (Forsberg and Grigs expecially) what is your new top 20 or so players with how the draft shook out as far as players with teams they ended up with?
    12 team weekly head to head keeper
    Stats: G, A, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, +/-, PIM, W, S%, GAA, SO
    Keep 10 plus farm
    Set rosters Daily

C: Kuzy, DStrome, Hischier, Rossi
    LW: Ehlers, Perron, Mangiapane, Nyquist
    RW: Bratt, Caufield, Marchessault, Granlund
    D: Chychrun, Toews, Carlson, Slavin
    G: Hart, Kuemper, Lindgren

IR: Newhook, Sergachev

Minors: Tomasino, CPrimeau, Dorofeyev, Evans, Bedard, Kulich, Protas, Eklund, Neighbours, ABoqvist, Greig, Bourque, Benson, Samoskevich, Askarov, Spence, Soderstrom, Silvos, Jarventie, Bourgault, Simashev, Gajan, Olausson, Brisson, Reinbacher, Pinelli, CSavoie, Stankoven, Suzdalev

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Man, Fantastic options available. Naming just 5 is tough

1. Yakupov
    2. Granlund
    3. Pacioretty
    4. Galchenyuk
    5. Schultz
    6. Grigorenko
    7. Hamilton
    8. Kreider
    9. Gardner
    10. Schwartz
    11. Henrique
    12. Connolly

I placed an emphasis on youth so you have a chance at MacKinnon/Monahan but
    I myself would grab proven guys like Moulson, Lupul, etc even over prospects like Kreider, Schwartz, etc
    There's the final Result of my draft

1) Yakupov
    3) Pacioretty
    4) Granlund
    11) D Hamilton
    31) J. schultz
    32) Markstrom

There's my team for the next year. What changes do you expect or suggest? Trades only, no free agents ... Until next year...

Sidney Crosby
    Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
    Taylor Hall
    Jordan Eberle
    Tyler Seguin
    Joe Pavelski
    Max Pacioretty
    Nail Yakupov
    James Van Riemsdyk
    Magnus Paajarvi
    Mikael Granlund
    Jonathan Huberdeau
    Ryan Strome
    Evgeni Kuznetsov

Drew Dougthy
    Cam Fowler
    Erik Karlsson
    Alex Goligoski
    David Rundblad
    Dougie Hamilton
    Justin Schultz

Jonas Hiller
    Cory Schneider
    Jakub Markstrom

I have rebuild my whole team last year. I hope I haved made the good moves.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm wondering who you feel had their fantasy value improved after the draft today, and who potentially had their fantasy value decrease compared to how you might have ranked them prior to the draft?

For example Lindholm going 6th overall to Anaheim. Does that boost his value compared to where you might have pegged it prior to the draft? Obviously we won't know where the later round players wind up yet, but the fact that a few guys (Collberg, Aberg) fell out of the 1st round might indicate something.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear your thoughts, and thanks in advance!

Dobber Sports Initiate

With the first round all wrapped up.

1.What prospects benifited the most from the teams that picked them ( player development and positional need)?

2.Which players have the best shot at making their NHL team next season?

Read all the posts and this is a great way to fill a off season, thanks for all the great work.
    Last edited by Lemmy; June 23, 2012 at 1:37 AM.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Edmonton Roadrunners

C(3): Tavares, Couture, Girgensons
    LW(3): Helm, Ott, Soderberg
    RW(3): Ryan, Gallagher, Simmonds
    F(3): Hemsky, Paquette, Markus Granlund
    D(6): OEL, Gudas, Johnson, Savard, Quincey, Wideman
    G(1): Halak, Smith, Lindback
    Bench: Stoll, Stajan, Mckenzie, Pulkkinen

Prospects(10): Straka, Chartier, Crouse, EK Eriksson, Tuch, Koekkoek, Max Reinhart, Zboril, Bibeau, Jarry

RIP- Phil Philthy Animal Taylor- September 21, 1954-November 11, 2015.