Thread: When is a player "Old"

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default When is a player "Old"

Hey boys quick question.

What is a good age to cut bait on players in a keeper.

I'm new to baseball, and wonder when we can expect to see a small decline in hitting prowess.

I know that in hockey a 32 year old player is still 3-4 years away from an actual decline. Is that similar to baseball.

I certainly don't want to be the manager of an aging team, but I also don't want to turn my back on quality players with 4 or 5 years of prime hitting left.

thanks as always.

GP

Dobber Sports Rookie

You can have guys like Mariano Rivera who are still very productive, but usually for batters the power decline starts at 34, while pitchers typically start their decline a little later, 35-36. When you start hearing velocity loss with pitchers it usually means that the decline is about to begin.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec