Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: my 2nd pick

I can agree with the best bat available but not to ignore positional scarcity. It's nice to lock up 3 solid OF's or 1B with some early picks only to be left with Felipe Lopez and Scott Rolen later on! Yikes! (but that would never happen would it!?) It totally depends on who's available at pick time.

All comments here are valid and it helps all of us who read this stuff. Keep up the good work all. Hopefully with all your input I can dominate my league too!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I agree, this has been a good topic to discuss.......I actually feel A TON better picking in the later rounds then I do in the beginning....the choices are obviously less risky or important picking late...but early on it can be tricky when the highend talent is OH so simular. Is youkulis a good 2nd pick? (that spelling doesn't look right).
    if kinsler is gone...? then take cano,phillips or roberts in the 3rd.
    [u]16teamKeeper-10keepers-Head2Head[/u][b]
    Lincecum,Verlander,FelixHern,Lee,Minor,
    Dempster,Hughes,lynn,smyly,duffy
    Bell,Farnsworth,Marmol
    OF:J.Upton,McCutchen,AJones
    1B)VottoSS)Hanley2B)PEDROIA3B)LongoriaC)Soto

That's just it, they are oh so similar. So whatever you pickup that has avg, runs and sb but lacks power & RBI you get make sure you get that power & RBI later in the draft and vice-versa. That goes with all your picks. keep track of all the stat cats you are stacking up on and make sure your weak cats get propped up during the draft. Sure it'd be nice to draft a bunch of 40 HR, 100+ RBI guys but when they aren't scoring runs, hitting for average, stealing bases and keep striking out a ton and have a low walk rate, it won't round out the team stats.

Personally I'd rather have Kinsler than Youkilis. I wouldn't consider Youk a good 2nd pick (1B is not a scarce position). I'd rather Pedroia than Youk. Or grab than great OF if it's good to go (Holliday, J.Upton, Ellsbury, Crawford). Or you can be thinking something else and see that ace pitcher you want (Sabathia, Greinke). Every time a player is removed from the board you'll need to adjust a bit but i think it's important to fill out the scarce positions and/or get the best available bat possible. If Kinsler isn't available (which he very well may not be - his ADP in yahoo leagues is currently 17.8 in 12 team leagues) then it's not so bad to grab sweet Crawford or Ellsbury and then see what comes up next time up for 2B or 3B. Getting a Zobrist, Zimmerman, Roberts (meh), Cano, Youkilis, Phillips, Sandoval or Hill will do just fine on any team.

Not sure I understood your last sentence pt...Getting them will do just fine?
    Youks is 3B eligible...thats what I was thinking anyway. yeah, no way I go youks in 2nd round, if I said that no idea what i was thinking. Kinsler, Pedroia or Phillips maybe. Getting crawford or Ellsbury isn't a huge neccesity...I have Hanley for SB's to start with.
    Bell,Farnsworth,Marmol

I'd consider Votto...if he was around but not sure he will be. Agonz too
    Bell,Farnsworth,Marmol

Here is who I think could be available if 10 pitchers are taken in the first 31 picks.
    I would have 2 of these guys at 31 and 33...possibly grab a pitcher but we'll see whats available. I'm thinking pedroia or cano is a nice 2b option but maybe early to pick them.

BJ Upton
    Jimmy Rollins
    Dustin Pedroia
    Ryan Zimmerman
    Pablo Sandoval
    Brian McCann
    Brandon Phillips
    Joey Votto
    Adrian Gonzalez
    Victor Martinez
    Aaron Hill
    Ben Zobrist
    Kevin Youkilis
    Justin Morneau
    Robinson Cano
    Jason Bay
    Curtis Granderson
    Andrew McCutchen
    Bell,Farnsworth,Marmol

If you can land Pedroia I'd say you'd be happy with that. Take the catchers out of the equation. You have Rollins listed but didn't you say you are picking a SS earlier? Too lazy to read back. Do you have a utility spot? Again, too lazy. Rollins could be taken but I would tend to think of using him as trade bait though. Might be worth it to grab one of those power 1B depending on what's on the board when it's your turn to pick. Maybe something will slip to you. When is draft time?

draft is tonight at 8:15. Yeah I have Hanley with the 2nd pick mostlikely so no rollins.
    Bell,Farnsworth,Marmol