Thread: 2012 when to draft a G prospect

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default 2012 when to draft a G prospect

What round do you usually go after a goalie in the 2012 draft 2nd/3rd? thanks

Administrator

In fantasy leagues I generally stay away from 18 year old goalies. Regardless of how they develop, the wait is too long to be worth the troubles. I'd much rather invest a roster spot on a 22 year old free agent coming over from Sweden than an 18 year old prospect.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    In fantasy leagues I generally stay away from 18 year old goalies. Regardless of how they develop, the wait is too long to be worth the troubles. I'd much rather invest a roster spot on a 22 year old free agent coming over from Sweden than an 18 year old prospect.
    Agree completely. I have been sitting on Bernier in one keeper league for 4 ****ing years!! ...... just sitting there wasting a roster spot, but at this point I cant bring myself to drop him and no one wants to pay anything near fair value for him.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Yea, I tend to avoid goalies as situations can change so much and the wait for them can be so long.

FWIW, Dansk, Vasilevski, and Subban look to be a damn good bunch of goalies this year.

Dobber Sports Genius

Yeah, those guys will probably go pretty late. Just depends on what happens and who drafts them. If they go to a team with an older crop of players that aren't cutting it, then they have a chance of coming up sooner than later, but you just never know.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Administrator

I'd hate to be a guy waiting for Jack Campbell right now. He was drafted high and had tons of hype around him but his play has shown nothing about being NHL-ready anytime soon.

Dobber Sports Wizard

The only reason I ever draft 18 year old goalies is to use them as trade bait. Some managers get caught in the hype and are willing to sit on them for 5 years. I'm not, but I can definitely package them up for something a little more useful.

Other than that reason, I wouldn't bother drafting goalies. Use some assets and trade for one.....there's just no reason to wait 5-6 years for a draft pick to pay off.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    The only reason I ever draft 18 year old goalies is to use them as trade bait. Some managers get caught in the hype and are willing to sit on them for 5 years. I'm not, but I can definitely package them up for something a little more useful.

Other than that reason, I wouldn't bother drafting goalies. Use some assets and trade for one.....there's just no reason to wait 5-6 years for a draft pick to pay off.
    This is absolutely a great way to go about things, as long as the goalie is properly slotted in your draft list. Even with a draft-and-trade strategy the goalie's positing on the draft board should factor in that he's not directly useful to your team for such a long time.

Dobber Sports Star

I agree with the people posting here. The last goalie I can think of that made an impact shortly after being drafted was Carey Price, but that kind of thing is rare. Take a look at a guy like Cory Schneider; he looks like he is about to make an NHL impact, but he was drafted 8 years ago. Save yourself the heartache; trade for a goalie...

Rylant

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I agree with the people posting here. The last goalie I can think of that made an impact shortly after being drafted was Carey Price, but that kind of thing is rare. Take a look at a guy like Cory Schneider; he looks like he is about to make an NHL impact, but he was drafted 8 years ago. Save yourself the heartache; trade for a goalie...

Rylant
    It's worth noting that after Price's rookie season he had two up-and-down years before establishing himself as a #1. The other fast-riser was Steve Mason, who was lights out as a rookie and has been horrible ever since.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Its not a bad idea as long as you can get the goalie in the right spot of your prospect draft. I would love to share my knowledge of the 2012 goalie prospects, but I can't as I'm involved in prospect drafts in several leagues.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."