Thread: Need PIMs for home stretch - which player?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Need PIMs for home stretch - which player?

Hi guys,

Am in a 10-player yahoo league that counts PIM's (good). I am comfortably ahead in all of the offensive categories (G, A, Pts). I am middle of the pack in PIM's, with a couple of guys close (within 20 PIMs) and I am dead last in +/-.

I think that if I can move up in the PIM category, or at least hold off the guys below me, I should be in good shape. I don't really want to sacrifice the +/- category either though, if I can avoid it....but I'd rather have a lock in PIM's with a crappy +/- than getting a "maybe" PIM guy with a decent +/-.

All the top PIM guys are available. Here they are, along with my comment/sconcerns in brackets):
    -Konopka (monster, but has been scratched a lot lately, as Sens strive for playoffs; Neil and Carkner also tough guys on team)
    -Dorsett (plays almost every game, but crappy +/-)
    -Prust (plays a lot, won't hurt in the +/-)
    -Rinaldo (beast, but suspended, and Flyers have plenty of team toughness elsewhere)
    -Neil (pretty consistent PIM-getter, plays a lot, though his PIM-per-game average this year is lower than in past)
    -Sestito (beast of late, but Flyers also have Rinaldo and Schenn and Hartnell and Simmonds)
    -Clarkson (now plays a more offensive role, so his PIMs have tapered off from previous years)
    -Ott (good mix of offense and PIMs, and will play a lot, +/- shouldn't be bad, but Dallas is in the hunt for a playoff spot, so he may be reeled in)
    -Downie (good mix of offense and PIMs, plus-minus will suck, he protects the stars on the team, and Lightning will be out of playoff contention soon)
    -Shawn Thornton (on a good PIM-pace this year, plays on a good team, but BOS has a lot of team toughness).

The other thing I forgot to mention is that I have limited # of moves left. Need to get this right.

Who do you guys think will be a good bet to get good PIM numbers the rest of the way? Does one guy stand out from the rest? If a few guys are close together, which of those guys is most likely to play most if not all remaining games, and not do too shabbily in terms of +/-?

Thanks for your advice, guys.

keyword: penalty, penalties, goon, fighting, majors, misconduct, enforcer

Dobber Sports Initiate

If you only need PIM and a decent +/-, this has to be Prust.

- Fights regularly
    - Isn't expected to put up points (like Clarkson, Downie, and Ott as of late), so his PIM won't take a hit
    - Can actually play hockey, so he plays a ton for a guy like him (regularly averages 15+ min TOI)
    - Plays for NYR, so he has a solid +/-
    - May even surprise you with the occasional point

Dobber Sports Wizard

A lot of great choices, but I agree with Prust.

Maybe Ott or Neil next.
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.
    D = +$10 for 65pts +$5 for under 64pts +$0 under 40
    G = +$10 for 32W +$5 for under 31W & +$0 under 15W

(G) (A) 25, (+/-) 5, (PIM) 3, (PPG) 7.5, (PPA) 5, (SHG) 10, (SHA) 7.5
    (SOG) 1 (W) 50, (L) -20, (GA) -5, (SV) 2, (SHO) 50

Dobber Sports Initiate

If you're looking for just PIMs, I'd say Prust or Neil. Ott is a danger for a number of categories because he's been scoring at a decent clip this year, but if you just want specia_list to come in and give you some PIMs, go with the two people are throwing around.
    Yahoo! Keeper League (5 keepers)
    G, A, Pts, +/-, PIM, FW, shots, hits, blocks, W, sv%, GAA, SO

C: Seguin, Toews, Krejci, Bjugstad, Nelson
    RW: Tarasenko, Hayes, Vrbata, Jagr
    LW: E. Kane, JVR, Soderberg, Killorn
    D: OEL, Yandle, Green, Campbell
    G: Halak, Anderson, Hiller

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

I think I will go with Prust.

Any other opinions out there?

Also, does anyone know of any future sure-fire PIM-fest games out there in the last couple of months of the season? By this I mean a game where there will most certainly be a couple of fights, or at least a rematch between a couple of heavyweights that always fight each other, or perhaps a vendetta game where a team's goon will seeks to avenge a transgression committed against their team's player from a past game. Do any future match ups come to mind? I'm thinking if I can accumulate a bunch of minutes over a short period of time, I would then cut those guys and get back to focusing on other categories.

Thanks!