Thread: 12/20/11 Studs & Duds

Administrator

Default 12/20/11 Studs & Duds

This will be my final article for 2011 as I am leaving for the Dominican Republic on Thursday morning. TK has agreed to cover next Tuesday. Let's get right to it!

STUDS

Geno-rmous stats!

Evgeni Malkin was definitely on his game tonight. He assisted on all three Penguins goals in a 3-2 victory over a strong Blackhawks team. He added six shots and a PPP. But most impressive in my opinion is that he finished 16/24 (66.7%) on faceoffs. Very impressive!

Gaborik seals the win

On some nights this could be a top stud, but if Marian doesn't agree with me we can book him and Geno in a Cage Match article on the front page. But in all seriousness Gaborik was a game breaker tonight. He chipped in on three of the four Rangers goals in a come-from-behind 4-1 win over the New Jersey Devils. Gaborik saved his best for last because he scored twice in the third period. Add in a plus-3 rating, three shots and credit for the game-winning goal too.

Capital Gain

Are you guys tired of seeing this title for every article involving the Capitals and Senators? Me too. Anyway, Nicklas Backstrom came up huge tonight with a goal, an assist, three shots, two blocks, 11/20 faceoffs (55%) and the game-winning goal. Oh, and he out-played Ovechkin.

Honourable Mentions

Viktor Stalberg only had 60 shots in 30 games heading into tonight. It's not a terrible total, but he is far from elite when it comes to getting the puck to the net. However, tonight he apparently made a bet with someone or something because he fired nine shots on goal in 13:33 of ice time. He added a goal and an assist while finishing plus-2.

Top goalie performances:
    Henrik Lundqvist - 30/31 saves (.968), 1.00 GAA, W
    Miikka Kiprusoff - 29/30 saves (.967), 1.00 GAA, W

DUDS

Party poopers

Why is it that NHL shooters always suck whenever I'm doing S&D??? Tonight there was a grand total of 30 goals scored in seven games. That's a minuscule 2.14 average goals scored per team this evening.

Win circumvention?

Yes I'm bringing that annoying scandal up and for good reason. While he and the Devils were accused of cap circumvention, tonight I am accusing Kovalchuk of win circumvention. He played 27 minutes and had six shots, but was minus-3 in a 4-1 defeat while failing to get on the score board.

Erat contributes nothing

Martin Erat is having a very good season so far and has been a surprisingly good roto player as well. However tonight was as bad as it gets. He finished minus-2 with no points, no shots and no other peripherals to speak of (unless you count his 2/5 faceoffs). Basically he contributed absolutely nothing to your fantasy team.

Dishonourable mentions

Drew Stafford had a stat line similar to Erat's line of zeros although he did a bit more in the peripherals so he gets a small promotion in this article. He contributed no points. finished minus-2. His only positive was a minor penalty, a shot and a hit.

Meanwhile in Chicago there has been talk that Ray Emery could be moving his way to the top of the depth chart at the expense of Corey Crawford. While Emery was far from bad tonight, his performance was a slight step backwards because he needs to be nearly perfect to actually claim the #1 job. He stopped 25 of 28 (.893) as the team lost 3-2 to Pittsburgh.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sage

Great job boss. Have a great and safe vacation...

Remember to double wrap your junk there
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Erat's minus-two means he's less than useless...he's detrimental. I appreciate you mentioning him, I'm sure I was in the back of your mind when you did
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Master

Okay boys, I'm ready to take on the Tuesday edition next week! Double TK articles...none of you will survive

Good job Eric (and yes, I do hear "Capital Gains" for Washington/Ottawa haha)
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Great job boss. Have a great and safe vacation...

Remember to double wrap your junk there
    Been in Domincan before... totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Erat's minus-two means he's less than useless...he's detrimental. I appreciate you mentioning him, I'm sure I was in the back of your mind when you did
    Yes I reserved that space in my article to make you feel bad.

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    Okay boys, I'm ready to take on the Tuesday edition next week! Double TK articles...none of you will survive
    Pretty sure I'll survive... I won't be reading! (OK maybe I will when I get back...)

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

You'll survive if you read it after the release date, all's good.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Wizard

Good work, sir! Good work!! "Geno-rmous.." That was creative. The Dominican. I hope you're not taking sand to the beach.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury