Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Downie to be suspended 10+ games

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Saw a tweet last night reporting that he was fined but will not be suspended.
    How can you not suspend a guy who leaves the bench to pick a fight w/ someone? I was under the impression that it was an automatic suspension...

Don't get me wrong, I could really care less [in fact, I'm happy I'll get Downie's PIM freakouts in my really deep keeper league] but I just thought this type of thing was "automatic."
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    How can you not suspend a guy who leaves the bench to pick a fight w/ someone? I was under the impression that it was an automatic suspension...

Don't get me wrong, I could really care less [in fact, I'm happy I'll get Downie's PIM freakouts in my really deep keeper league] but I just thought this type of thing was "automatic."
    It's because the play was over and he was coming onto the ice for his next shift...

The NHL is making up so many rules as it's going along. The rulebook seems like it was printed in pencil instead of etched in stone.
    Follow me for some fantasy hockey, Jays tweets @thelandshock

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by littleranger View Post
    It's because the play was over and he was coming onto the ice for his next shift...

The NHL is making up so many rules as it's going along. The rulebook seems like it was printed in pencil instead of etched in stone.
    I'm guessing then it's because he was sitting on the boards, instead of actually on the bench?? I'm not incensed or anything, just really baffled lol.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Ninja

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the league officials also frowned upon Anisimov's disrespectful celebration so they may have been a little more lenient here to send a message, because Downie clearly violated a black and white rule.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me at all if the league officials also frowned upon Anisimov's disrespectful celebration so they may have been a little more lenient here to send a message, because Downie clearly violated a black and white rule.
    If anyone remembers the Pens/Islanders fiasco last year, a similar situation happened where a Penguins player left the bench [Eric Godard], and he was suspended for 10 games I think.

Leaving the bench is a no-no in pretty much every major sport. Does anyone remember the NBA player [forget who] a few years ago who left the bench in the playoffs [for like 1 second] and he was suspended for a couple games in the playoffs? Crazy.

Suffice it to say, I was expecting a suspension here. Downie should consider himself very lucky...

Dobber Sports Pro

This was not a black and white case of somebody leaving the bench to fight.(tho the video looks bad)

Connolly was limping to the bench where Downie was ready to take his place. The only reason Downie wasnt already on the ice was because NYR scored so he stayed at the bench; then the scrum ensued and he decided to take his shift.
    Same thing happened with the Oilers/Rangers Avery brawl last yr. Peckham was gonna come on the ice for the injured Smid, the play had ended so he didn't really get out there, but once the fights started he took his turn.

I believe the last auto-10 gamer was Ed Jovanovski years ago in Vancouver. That was a blatent case of a 5vs5 brawl happening, but Jovo didnt like the fight match-ups so he hopped over the bench to get involved.
    ps. Or was it Godard last year in the Isles brawl?? Another blatent case of a guy leaving the bench to fight; not because it was his shift.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Ninja

Perhaps you're right... but the video looks pretty bad lol

He was just sitting there on the boards, and then the fight ensues, you see him quickly turn his head, hops over and goes straight for a NYR player and mobs him of nowhere

Whether he was legally the guy on the ice or not is a legit argument, but his intent without question was malicious haha

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    This was not a black and white case of somebody leaving the bench to fight.(tho the video looks bad)

Connolly was limping to the bench where Downie was ready to take his place. The only reason Downie wasnt already on the ice was because NYR scored so he stayed at the bench; then the scrum ensued and he decided to take his shift.
    Same thing happened with the Oilers/Rangers Avery brawl last yr. Peckham was gonna come on the ice for the injured Smid, the play had ended so he didn't really get out there, but once the fights started he took his turn.

I believe the last auto-10 gamer was Ed Jovanovski years ago in Vancouver. That was a blatent case of a 5vs5 brawl happening, but Jovo didnt like the fight match-ups so he hopped over the bench to get involved.
    ps. Or was it Godard last year in the Isles brawl?? Another blatent case of a guy leaving the bench to fight; not because it was his shift.
    Godard was in fact an auto 10-gamer. Although, it could be argued that Godard would have been scratched for those games anyway...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Amar'e, when Nash got hipchecked into the scorer's table. That was an absolute crime. Just one of the many reasons Stern should be strung up.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by shortcuttomoncton View Post
    Amar'e, when Nash got hipchecked into the scorer's table. That was an absolute crime. Just one of the many reasons Stern should be strung up.
    Yep, that's the one. I remember watching that so-called "violation". I remember he just left the bench, came on to the floor and was jumping around for a couple seconds, then realized that he had walked on to the floor and went back to the bench...

Do you remember how many games he was suspended for [in the playoffs to boot] ?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Talking The Comish and his Cult

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    There is a reason why soccer is bigger and always will be bigger than the NHL..

Soccer isn't played by robots, controlled by the comish and his cult.

And to say it's OKAY to do it, but ONLY IF it's in OT winner or something similar you can "pump your fist" makes it ridiculous, hypocritical and laughable at best. Seriously, READ what you WROTE and tell me with a straight face that that does make sense. I think it's too late to save you from the cult as well...
    I have a cult!? Kinda cool. I wish I did control those soccer playing robots because the things I'd make them do, whoa boy, there'd be some celebrating going on...
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    Yeah, another player back in line as a boring robot. Great.
    The robot term is a funny one. I never really saw it like that, but I can understand that viewpoint a bit.

I think it's just years of having it drilled into my head that hockey is a team sport. You don't celebrate individual accomplishments. I think it's just hard wired into my brain that if I see a guy do it my brain instantly thinks it must be a young child who hasn't learnt better yet or a kid with a bad attitude that needs to be taken into the boards a bit harder the next time I get a chance.

I don't care if guys do it, but they should expect a reaction of some kind.
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.
    D = +$10 for 65pts +$5 for under 64pts +$0 under 40
    G = +$10 for 32W +$5 for under 31W & +$0 under 15W

(G) (A) 25, (+/-) 5, (PIM) 3, (PPG) 7.5, (PPA) 5, (SHG) 10, (SHA) 7.5
    (SOG) 1 (W) 50, (L) -20, (GA) -5, (SV) 2, (SHO) 50