Thread: Opinions on this Trade

Striker

Default Opinions on this Trade

I\'m in a 30 team keeper league where our rosters are 24 people and I\'d been hanging on to Pitkanen for a long time since good offensive d-man are very hard to find.

I made this trade moving Pitkanen and wanted to know what your opinions are.

I don\'t have any problems with protecting anyone as well.

Pitkanen for Wolski + Z. Michalek

Post edited by: SabresEdge, at: 2007/06/19 12:49

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re:Opinions on this Trade

My initial feeling is I like the trade. Wolski\'s playing on an good (fairly young) offensive team. Pitkanen is a wild-card...who knows where he\'ll end up [I think Edmonton is a graveyard for him if the rumors turn out to be true...his minus 20 something will not put him in MacT\'s good books]. Pitkanen also needs other good set up men and finishers for him to garner points [ie. Forsberg and Gagne]. I have no idea what Z. Michalek\'s upside is [Gretzky apparently loves this guy], but I\'d have probably traded Pitkanen for Wolski straight up.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Stud

No way on earth I\'d have let Pitkanen go for that little.

He\'s a decent lineup away from 50+ points, yet everybody\'s lining up to buy him airline tickets to Edmonton despite the lack of any concrete information that he\'s headed out of town, or that if so it would have to be to Edmonton. I\'m not saying it won\'t happen, but let\'s not all jump ship because of a 40% chance of rain!
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Expert

Just to clarify. Nothing was said about having to keep certain number of D-men or that D points are greater than forwards. Isn\'t Wolski\'s potential far greater than Pitkanen\'s?

Post edited by: andrewklassen, at: 2007/06/19 16:38
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I would have held on to Pitkanen personally until at least I see where he will be playing next year. He didnt have a greast season last year becuase Philadelphia was terrible. Especially considering all the moves Phile has been making, if he re-signs there which I think will happen, he and Timonen will be a great PP Tandom.

I am also not sold on Michalek/Wolski. I was hoping for big things in Wolski last year but he severly overshadowed by Statsny. Michalek I dont mind, but I dont see him having the potential of being a teir 3 Dman(30-40) where I see Pitkanen as a teir 2 guy (40+ Points)

Dobber Sports Stud

A.K.

I don\'t mind this deal at all. If you compare Michalek to Pitkanen - one to one- Pitkanen wins. 43 points in 77 games to Michalek\'s 28 points in 82 games. You have to include the impact of Wolski. He is 21 years old and had 22 goals, 28 assists for 50 points. His numbers are only going to go up.

Michalek will get better as his supporting cast improves, albeit that could take awhile.

I would have done this deal and it wouldn\'t have been because I was baling on Pitkanen. I like Wolski and think Michalek is going to be a 40 point defenceman. He might not put up the same numbers as Pitkanen but I am not sure there will be a huge disparity.

Dobber Sports Stud

andrewklassen wrote:
    Just to clarify. Nothing was said about having to keep certain number of D-men or that D points are greater than forwards. Isn\'t Wolski\'s potential far greater than Pitkanen\'s?
    Good point - Sabres, do you have positional requirements? I assumed yes, but if not then I\'m prepared to flipflop on this one. Pitkanen\'s higher among defensemen than Wolski among forwards, but I would think that Wolski can guarantee 60+ most seasons down the road.

I just think that by waiting, there\'s a very good chance that Pitkanen could bring back much more than this in return.
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

classic case of another GM buying low.

NEVER SELL LOW unless you really don\'t think the player will bounce back. Only one season removed from the Pitkanen vs. Bouwmeester vs. Phaneuf debates, he is now relegated to a Michalek type? (no offense to him, he is emerging as a very steady top guy on a horrible defensive squad).

SELL HIGH
    BUY LOW

wash, rinse, repeat.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Striker

Yes, we have to have 10 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 ENF, 2 Goalies. - 4 Flex Spots - Of which you can protect 17 out of 24

I took the team over as the 2nd worst team a couple years ago and I was in need of some help at fwd to keep improving it.

My thinking was Z. Michalek is 170lbs soaking wet and on a poor team offensively. When he adds 30lbs over the next 2-3 years and rounds out around 35-45 pts he won\'t be Pitkanen, but with the addition of Wolski and his potential to be a 70 pt forward it out weighs itself. Here is my team\'s significant players before I made the trade.

Here was my protected players before the trade

Forwards

1. Cole
    2. Bergeron
    3. Williams (Carolina)
    4. Brule
    5. Gomez
    6. Zubrus
    7. White

Defense

1. Seabrooke
    2. Pitkanen
    3. Kalinin
    4. Kubina
    5. Pothier
    6. Hamhuis

Enf

1. Neil

Goalies

1. Fleury
    2. Ward

Bench
    1. Franson

------------------------------------------
    Here is it after that trade and a few others .. I also have 5 draft picks for the upcoming draft.

+ plus I could trade Franson + pick for Rafalski (Thoughts)

+ working on Pothier -> Leopold

+ could get Morris for a late pick

To bolster my d.

1. Cole
    2. Bergeron
    3. Williams (Carolina)
    4. Brule
    5. Gomez
    6. Zubrus
    7. Wolski
    8. Roy

1. Seabrooke