Thread: What to do with Pavelec and Markstrom???

Dobber Sports Stud

Default What to do with Pavelec and Markstrom???

I'm currently carrying 6 goalies on my roster - Lundqvist, Smith, Khabibulin, Markstrom, Pavelec and Nabokov. I have Nabby stashed on my IR, and plan on hanging onto Lundqvist, Smith and Khabibulin as my three goalies moving forward. I've been trying to move Pavelec, but (unsurprisingly) have had no takers. I've also tried once or twice to move Markstrom, but again no takers (somewhat surprising given it's a 15-team keeper).

My dilemma now is that I'm rolling out a lineup that's 1 C and 1 LW shy of a full deck. I'm in second place with serious title plans (see team and league settings below). Rolling out an incomplete lineup is unacceptable for a team with championship aspirations, and I actually feel like it is part of the reason why I'm not already in first place (I've played far fewer games at the skating positions than everyone else in the league).

I have Huselius coming off IR soon, and will also have Burish in about a month (need him for PIM)... so I'll need to clear space. I've already tried the 2-for-1 trades with both Pavelec and Markstrom to upgrade at other positions... like I said before, no takers. I'm thinking it might be time to bite the bullet and drop these guys for more useful (to me) players. Ideally, I'd like to free up two spots (coincidence?) so that I can stream PIM players at C and LW to make up ground in the PIM category as well as make up lost games at those positions since I'm 1 short at both.

The hang up I'm having is that, even though Pavelec is having a brutal season, he's an absolute workhorse who will be picked up immediately by someone else in our league (15 teams, start 2 goalies)... and I also know that Markstrom is gold in keepers, and he'll no doubt be picked up and stashed.

Thoughts?
    15 GM Keeper League w/Roto Scoring (G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, HITS | W, GAA, SV%, SHO)
    Start 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 2 G (23-man rosters) | Protect 10 players w/a max of 1 goalie

C - Crosby*, Malkin* (C/R), Tavares*, Giroux* (C/R)
    L - Duchene* (C/L),
    Marleau* (C/L), Galchenyuk (C/L), Ott (C/L), Lee (C/L)
    R - Kane* (C/R), St. Louis, Neil, Clutterbuck
    D - Yandle*, Carlson*, Gardiner, Gudas, Daley, Bieksa, Schenn
    G - Lundqvist*, Rinne, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Stud

Last night's shutout is swaying me towards the "hold onto your cards" side of the ledger on Pavelec. Still no idea what to do with Markstrom, who is burning a hole on my bench.

Thoughts on both?
    15 GM Keeper League w/Roto Scoring (G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, HITS | W, GAA, SV%, SHO)
    Start 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 2 G (23-man rosters) | Protect 10 players w/a max of 1 goalie

L - Duchene* (C/L),

Dobber Sports Deity

When you say you plan on keeping Lundy, Smith and Khabby as your 3 moving forward, just how forward are we talking? For the rest of this season? Next year as well? To me, Khabby is having a solid season this year, but not someone I would consider moving forward with. I would rather keep Pavelec moving forward, past this season with. Same could be said for Markstrom. I find it hard to believe that you cant find a dance partner to trade with in regards to these two tenders. Markstrom WILL be the starting goalie, long term for FLA. Same can be said for Pavelec in Winnipeg. If it was me, I would be looking at holding on to those two goalies for long term security, or at least trading them for pieces to improve your team, even if its draft picks.
    Last edited by Axeman33; December 2, 2011 at 10:29 AM.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Dude if you can only keep one goalie in your league, that will be King Henrik.

On top of that you have Smith, Khabi, and Pavs who are all #1's today. Why would you be holding onto Markstrom who's in the minors? He will be a great goalie one day, but he has no value right now in a one-year league, especially since Theodore has been playing lights out.

Get rid of him Markstrom.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    When you say you plan on keeping Lundy, Smith and Khabby as your 3 moving forward, just how forward are we talking? For the rest of this season? Next year as well? To me, Khabby is having a solid season this year, but not someone I would consider moving forward with. I would rather keep Pavelec moving forward, past this season with. Same could be said for Markstrom. I find it hard to believe that you cant find a dance partner to trade with in regards to these two tenders. Markstrom WILL be the starting goalie, long term for FLA. Same can be said for Pavelec in Winnipeg. If it was me, I would be looking at holding on to those two goalies for long term security, or at least trading them for pieces to improve your team, even if its draft picks.
    Blayze pretty much nailed this one on the head already, but it's only a limited keeper with a max protect of 1 goalie after the season. Hank is my guy moving forward beyond this year... what I meant by "moving forward" with Lundqvist, Smith and Khabibulin was for the rest of this season.

I've actually tried to find a taker for Khabibulin, but honestly the offers have been ridiculous (Doan for Khabby straight up is the best offer I've gotten). I'm not saying Khabibulin is going to finish the season with a sub-2.00 GAA, but I don't see his value dropping off the face of the earth... and so he would bring significant value to any team I would move him to (most likely more than what I would get in return).

I need Pavelec to put in three or four more solid games in a row to have any luck. I put an offer out for Craig Smith in return for Pavelec just now... C. Smith's owner has him buried on his bench as his 5th center, and is icing some awful goaltending (Rask, Brodeur, Bernier). Maybe he'll bite. I'd like that return.

The reason I've held onto Markstrom is because I know one or two teams who would burn a waiver pick on him to stash him on their bench because they are in serious need of goalie keepers (and I think he could feasibly be kept after this season to be at least a part-time starter as of next season).

L - Duchene* (C/L),