Thread: What to do with Steve Mason?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default What to do with Steve Mason?

What a brutal start. I picked him up as my 2nd goalie in a one-year points league expecting 30-35 wins and around 5 shutouts. At this point, should I be patient or cut my losses and drop him?

Free agent goalies worth noting: Varlamov, Theodore, Montoya, Smith, Dubnyk.

Slim pickings. I like Smith for Phoenix's defensive system. I worry about injuries with Varlamov. Montoya has been great but Nabokov is very capable. Any ideas?

Dobber Sports Expert

I'd cut him loose. CBJ looks awful so far (again, even with their high priced additions). Even when the Wiz is back frm his suspension, he's not really noted as a defensive spe******t.

I like Varlamov the best out of the guys you mentioned, though...injuries are a concern. I think the Avs are better than many suspect and as long as he's healthy, he's the clear #1.

Good luck!
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

C (4): Hayes, Bonino, White, Bozak
    LW (4): Aho, Huberdeau, K Connor, Gourde
    RW (4): Perry, Boeser, Tuch, Zucker
    F (1):Labanc
    D (4): Barrie, Theodore, Faulk, Shattenkirk
    G (1): Lehner

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd drop him for one of Varlamov, Montoya or Dubnyk. If it were me I'd take Montoya but I could be wrong about that.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Get Varlamov
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklez View Post
    What a brutal start. I picked him up as my 2nd goalie in a one-year points league expecting 30-35 wins and around 5 shutouts. At this point, should I be patient or cut my losses and drop him?

Free agent goalies worth noting: Varlamov, Theodore, Montoya, Smith, Dubnyk.

Slim pickings. I like Smith for Phoenix's defensive system. I worry about injuries with Varlamov. Montoya has been great but Nabokov is very capable. Any ideas?
    I think you know what to do with this bum.. drop him

you can rest asure nobody and i mean nobody will pick him up off FA right away so you can always keep an eye on him
    Datsyuk, Getzlaf, Kesler(IR), RNH
    Wheeler, Franzen, Gagner
    Parise, Benn, Tanguay, Cammalleri
    Pieterangelo, Enstrom(IR),
    Howard, Hiller, Kipper(IR)

12 team H2H, positional requirements, G, A, PPP, PIM, Plus/Minus, GWG, SO, Wins, GAA and Save%.
    1 Year League

Dobber Sports Padawan

Mason, Mason, Mason....what to do with Mason? I had this guy as my 3rd goalie last year. Hated it.

I would drop him for Varly and rate the rest of your choices as Varly, Smith, Montoya, Dubnyk, Theodore.
    One year. 14 team. Roto. No positional requirements.

Scoring Categories: G, A, SOG, FOW, +/-, PIM, Hits, SPct, GAA, W

F: Nash, Backes, Getzlaf, M. Koivu, Vanek, Jagr, Clowe, Horton, Stewart, Ott, Z. Kassian
    D: Suter, Seabrook, Diaz, L. Schenn, Robidas
    G: Lundqvist, Varlamov, Theodore

IR: Burns

Dobber Sports Novice

I'd have to go with Varlamov. He has looked awesome so far this year playing with the Avs.
    Yahoo! Total Points One Year League:

G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,SOG,W,GA,SV,SHO
    Daily Rosters - 2C,2LW,2RW,Fwd,Utl,4D,4BN,2G

C - D.Roy/Turris/M. Koivu/Tavares/P. Kane (RW)
    LW - Benn(C)/Neal/Bertuzzi(RW)
    RW - Voracek/Lupul(LW)/Clowe (LW)
    D - Doughty/Letang/Goligoski/I.White
    G - Lundqvist/Fleury/Rask

Dobber Sports Pro

I read somewhere that Columbus has 1 regulation win in the last 20 games or so going back to last season. Thats ugly. They need to upgrade the d-men once and for all. Not much there in terms of crease management.

Dobber Sports Stud

I might have to outright drop him in a 16-team league where I hoarded 3 starters. This sucks as I picked him before Round 10.

Dobber Sports Genius

I've got him, but there aren't any better options at this point. My only hope is that he turns it around some and at least gets over .900 at some point and see if I can include him in a trade.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Sophomore

the return of James Wisnewski should help the Jackets get going.

its amazing to me Jeff Carter and Rick Nash havent clicked yet and were 5 games into the season.

Mason should end up with somewhere around 25-30 wins before the season is over.

he will continue to post very inconsistent numbers for fantasy owners

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by bromleyhockey View Post
    the return of James Wisnewski should help the Jackets get going.
    Not to make light of your point, but I doubt James Wisnewski is the answer to their troubles.

he will continue to post very inconsistent numbers for fantasy owners
    He has actually been pretty consistent since last year. Consistently crappy. (except for February)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks for the feedback. I should have mentioned I only get 4 trades all season, so I need to use them wisely. I'd hate to pick up Varlamov and then watch him go down with an injury, but at this point it might be worth the risk with how bad CBJ is.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

you only get 4 add drops? Even if that wasn't the case, I wouldn't drop him just yet. I am a bit biased... I drafted him this year around round 9 because I wanted a 3rd starter... but I think that Columbus can turn it around. Steve Mason had an amazing rookie year and the past 2 seasons he's had to deal with pressure from a backup (Garon). Now that Garon is gone and Columbus is better, I think it'll pan out. They've got a lot of new additions and I think it'll just take time for them to gel. Keep in mind, of the 5 starts he's had, 3 of them were only 1 goal losses (one in OT, 2 in regulation).

Also, the other options you mentioned are far from stellar. Varlamov looks good but he's VERY injury prone, and Gigeure has been playing well... I wouldn't expect more than 50 starts out of varly, barring injury, and I would bet heavily on him getting injured. Dubnyk hasn't won the starting job yet, and the Oilers are not a great defensive team. They've had a good start but I wouldn't grab him just yet. Montoya hasn't won the job yet either, and I wouldn't want Mike Smith on my team... Theodore has looked good but still not worth the add I would say.

hope that helps