Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: The Importance of Owning Linemates

Dobber Sports Ninja

You also have not addressed the flaw with the ASSUMPTION that every single time you matchup the "lesser" skilled players that are drafted will "wash out" the higher skilled players. Your entire strategy is based on this assumption that I don't see evidence for.

Dobber Sports Genius

Well considering i've addressed both those topics actually numerous time both in this thread and in other threads in the past pretty sure you can answer that for yourselves.

You know there's the whole "counter-balancing" component with running 2 tandems rather than just one to help compensate for one tandem only playing twice in a week.

Second there is such a phenomena as a multi-point outing to where just because they play 2 times is not indicative of them producing less and when constructing tandems with "elite" players the likelihood that they produce multi-point outings is very high on any given game they participate in.

Third aside from the washing out component of the guys you own how many matchups each season do you think you'll have one of your top 4F playing twice in a week throughout the year vs. me.

Fourth NHL players are not automatons where X games must equal X production, I just as easily can say during a 2 game week their is a likelihood the players will come to both games with greater hunger due to light schedule that week vs. heavy schedule. Lots of games in short span could also be indicative of a long road trip in the process where the players could be less sharp in this scenario as opposed to more sharp. You place no value on any sort of rivalry games to where players might be more "up" and coming in with superior focus than the average week. # of games do not equal number of points, particularly in regard to "elite" F options.

Fifth, Getzlaf and Perry playing together Ev and PP aren't in on every single one of eachothers points and vica versa on any single isolated game (necessarily at least), but if you look at them over a 3 game arc they will likely be very very close to mirroring eachother production at the end of that 3 game span.

Like I said criticize away, use it or don't use it, I can care less...but for the people and OP that created the thread and wish to know how to implement it correctly then here it all is form them or anyone else to utilize or not utilize on their own ends.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MT319 View Post
    Second there is such a phenomena as a multi-point outing to where just because they play 2 times is not indicative of them producing less and when constructing tandems with "elite" players the likelihood that they produce multi-point outings is very high on any given game they participate in.

Fifth, Getzlaf and Perry playing together Ev and PP aren't in on every single one of eachothers points and vica versa on any single isolated game (necessarily at least), but if you look at them over a 3 game arc they will likely be very very close to mirroring eachother production at the end of that 3 game span.
    valid points.. but the same could be said about any player drafted in the first round / round and a half of any given draft - the place where both perry and getzlaf would be drafted...

and this is where your theory falls apart. elite players can, and do, perform at elite levels - thats why they are drafted early. kopitar has as much of a probability of having a multi-point game as getzlaf does - on any given night. so who cares in a given night if you get a combined 2 goals, 3 assists, 4 PPP etc.. from perry and getzlaf or from perry and kopitar. neither situation is more or less likely to occur. both situations are equally possible because all 3 players are fantastic players who were drafted early in the draft for the very reason that they are capable and routinely do put up numbers like the ones mentioned above... not because they do or don't play together.
    Last edited by 27Blue; September 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM.

Dobber Sports Genius

Okay, if you legitimately read through this thread and can't see what the obvious answers are to what you just stated to me at this point then I can't help you or anyone else in that regard as i'm not gonna reiterate and keep refuting the same things over and over and over again. H2H = Roto they are identical in every way which by extension makes Kopitar and Toews identical in a H2H setting vs. a Roto setting. People in keeper leagues don't already own players in advance, and people in one year leagues have only 2 "elite" tandems to choose from in which both ends of that "Elite" tandem get drafted in the 1st round. Alright man, my system does not work based on all of that so in turn don't use it and same goes for anyone else who believes the same, problem solved.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by MT319 View Post
    Okay, if you legitimately read through this thread and can't see what the obvious answers are to what you just stated to me at this point then I can't help you or anyone else in that regard as i'm not gonna reiterate and keep refuting the same things over and over and over again. H2H = Roto they are identical in every way which by extension makes Kopitar and Toews identical in a H2H setting vs. a Roto setting. People in keeper leagues don't already own players in advance, and people in one year leagues have only 2 "elite" tandems to choose from in which both ends of that "Elite" tandem get drafted in the 1st round. Alright man, my system does not work based on all of that so in turn don't use it and same goes for anyone else who believes the same, problem solved.
    i thought you left the boards?

your system works in a convenient world for you. your requirements, your rules. what have you. That is NOT real world application.

If tandems work and are as important as you claim, they would work in any situation.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Expert

Why are you getting all worked up?

I mean you come on here and start spewing that your "elite tandem" theory is superior to everyone elses, so I'm giving you a chance to prove that...

When people question your theory behind it, with legitimate reasoning by the way, you continue to say the same thing over and over again, but not justifying your point of why it workds. Then you go out and have a hissy fit about how if they don't want to believe you then don't, and it doesn't affect you at all... If your theory is a sound one then it should be easily defendable and justifiable.

Don't you want this opportunity to go and prove what you believe in is right? If you are a far superior fantasy player than the rest of us, and how your strategy is flawless then you shouldn't be afraid of proving it to us.

If we don't want to use your exact settings you go and kick up a hissy fit and then run away?

Why don't we just keep it simple... basic Yahoo! league 6 by 4 settings, pretty much default Yahoo! league, that way we have no complaints and don't need to muddle things and keep it simple.

You can run you strategy however you like in a "real world" setting like how you would if you are playing against anyone one else.

If your strategy is flawless and superior to everyone elses it should be applicable to every league, not just league with your specific settings...
    Last edited by Maaaasquito; October 1, 2011 at 12:23 AM.
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Initiate

I actually feel that having 2 of your top 4 forward picks on the same team takes away from the effectiveness of your team over the course of a season. If there's one thing I've learned over the many years of fantasy hockey it's that consistency and balance will get you into the playoffs every year (and once in the playoffs, it's really a crap shoot). By 'putting all your eggs into one basket' so to speak (by having a Perry/Getzlaf combo instead of a Perry/Kopitar for example), it puts your team in a situation where they either sink or swim each week. So what happen is that when your combo is hot, you will blow your opponent out of the water offensively. The problem here is that it doesn't matter if you win goals category by 1 or 10, it still only counts as 1 category win. And on the weeks where your top guns only play 2 games or get shutout, you lose those categories. Linemates always streak together, and that's a bad thing.

For example: Let's assume you're an astute fantasy draftsman and usually have a slight edge over the other GM's in your league. Your top 2 guns are expected to produce 12 points combined over two weeks, whereas your opponents top 2 are expected to produce 10 over the same span. All seems well, except the problem that occurs when your 2 guns play for the same team is that there is a greater possibility that they produce 9 points one week and only 3 the next. Whereas the guy with two guns on different teams has a better chance of producing 5 one week and 5 the next. So even though your team is 'better', in this example you would still theoretically tie the points category over 2 weeks because you would beat him 9 to 5 one week, and he would beat you 5 to 3 the next week. So you scored 12 points, he scored 10, but you broke even on the fantasy scoreboard. Whereas, if your two guns were on different teams there is a greater possibility that they will not streak together and will be more consistent. Therefore, in the same scenario, you would have beaten your opponent 6-5 and 6-5, thus taking the point category both weeks, despite no difference in your teams actual talent except that your top guns play for different NHL squads and therefore have a lesser chance of streaking together.

Also, having top guns on different teams creates more flexibility in setting line-ups because your top 2 guns aren't always playing together on the same night.

Consistency is vitally important in fantasy hockey. With two guns on the same NHL team, you're putting all your eggs into one basket and setting your team up for inconsistent play. By spreading the talent out (and assuming you draft better than your opponents), on average over the course of the season you're giving your team a better chance to win each weekly match-up.
    12 team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (keep 6)
    G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GAA, SV%, SO

2C - Stamkos
    2LW - Benn
    2RW - Laine, Marner
    4D - Josi
    1Util -
    2G - Rask

Dobber Sports Initiate

Who is the inventor of this theory? I'm curious as to what they have to say to my above post.
    12 team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (keep 6)
    G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GAA, SV%, SO

2C - Stamkos
    2LW - Benn
    2RW - Laine, Marner
    4D - Josi
    1Util -
    2G - Rask

Dobber Sports Sage

Laich seems to be keeping Backstrom and Ovechkin at bay so far tonight!
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko