Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: malkin vs stamkos

Dobber Sports Expert

With the logic you present, the same could be said for Crosby.

Gaborik, Connolly, and many others that suffer from the same injuries over and over are bandaids boys. Malkin tore a ligament, definitely not a bandaids boy type injury.

Both players are greT and have decent upside,Malkin s is just much higher
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Ace

Fair enough.

But my point is that Malkin has suffered injuries the past two years. You say a torn ACL isn't a bandaid boy injury, and that might be, but if it leads to more knee injuries....then we've got an issue.

That's the point I'm making

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    Fair enough.

But my point is that Malkin has suffered injuries the past two years. You say a torn ACL isn't a bandaid boy injury, and that might be, but if it leads to more knee injuries....then we've got an issue.

That's the point I'm making
    Yes, that is true, I agree there is more injury risk to Malkin after such a serious imjury. I think with todays technology and his youth, it won't be a problem. Here's to hoping...
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I won't chime in on the debate itself... but i will tell you this... stamkos is working out with gary roberts... you can guarantee he comes in to this season in pretty top physical shape... roberts is well known as a fitness freak... truth be told, I've seen stamkos a couple times over the off season and he looks absolutely jacked... his back especially, and as expected looks very cut and lean. All professional athletes are going to seem very muscular, compared to the avg person walking around... but I'm telling you stamkos looks like a monster... and hes not actually a big guy... from across a room you can see muscles that I don't think i have bulging through his shirt... lol.
    Limited Keeper ROTO pool, 10 teams. start full line up
    keep 2C 2L 2R 3D 1G (keepers in caps)
    G A P +/- PIM PPG PPA PPP SOG GWG
    GS W L GAA SV SV% SHO
    no max games, must have minimum 6 Dmen on roster

E. STAAL, H SEDIN, Lehtera, stepan, vermette (lw)
    D SEDIN, SHARP (c), semin (rw), doan (rw), Johansson (c)
    BACKES (c) KESLER (c), eberle, clowe (lw), grabovski (c,lw)
    SUTER, PHANEUF, GOLIGOSKI, shattenkirk, markov, boychuk, enstrom
    SCHNEIDER, bishop, S. mason, reimer, berra

Dobber Sports Genius

As an owner of both players (though having just traded for Malkin this off-season) I am ecstatic about Malkin being on my team. I think this is going to be a big year and mostly it's because we've seen many people come back from ACL type injuries and be fine. This is an area in medical science where doctors are getting better and better by the year, whereas people with concussions are in worse situations as the research going into that is in full force and isn't as complete. I've always felt that Malkin had more than Stamkos, but feel that they are separated by a slight tier if at all. I would say that Malkin is in the top 3 and Stamkos leads the rest of the creme de la creme. Sure the Sedin's are good, but I still feel that they aren't in the top tier (that is a bias of mine). That being said, I say that for 1 years Stamkos is the safer bet, but Makin is the gamble that could lead you to a championship this season. He played well when Crosby was out before and could do it again.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Ace

Smile Malkin looks special

Quote Originally Posted by tgraveline View Post
    As an owner of both players (though having just traded for Malkin this off-season) I am ecstatic about Malkin being on my team. I think this is going to be a big year and mostly it's because we've seen many people come back from ACL type injuries and be fine. This is an area in medical science where doctors are getting better and better by the year, whereas people with concussions are in worse situations as the research going into that is in full force and isn't as complete. I've always felt that Malkin had more than Stamkos, but feel that they are separated by a slight tier if at all. I would say that Malkin is in the top 3 and Stamkos leads the rest of the creme de la creme. Sure the Sedin's are good, but I still feel that they aren't in the top tier (that is a bias of mine). That being said, I say that for 1 years Stamkos is the safer bet, but Makin is the gamble that could lead you to a championship this season. He played well when Crosby was out before and could do it again.
    I am watching the pre-season game PIT vs DET and the Goal that Malkin just scored was a thing of beauty - seems nothing wrong with his knee whatsoever! I know, early days but if he continues doing that and can do that all season AND Sid gets back soon, watch out. Awesome skill.
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by suvojitde View Post
    I am watching the pre-season game PIT vs DET and the Goal that Malkin just scored was a thing of beauty - seems nothing wrong with his knee whatsoever! I know, early days but if he continues doing that and can do that all season AND Sid gets back soon, watch out. Awesome skill.
    He looked good. I watched the game too.. Anytime he got hit or something or skated slightly awkward I got a little nervous.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper

Dobber Sports Genius

Huge Stamkos supporter.I traded for Malkin this summer. Now I've got them both. Still, Stamkos is better.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Can't believe this thread is still going haha. But anyway, in a one-year Malkin > Stamkos now that he's C/RW. Case closed (in a one-year yahoo pool that is )

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by flaupmes View Post
    I seem to be in the minority but I strongly feel when the dust has settled, Stamkos will be a cleary more valuable fantasy (and real life) contributor than Malkin.
    No one ever talks about the extra year of development Malkin got with the lockout and the 05/06 season overseas. Stamkos went straight from the draft, and then was further hurt by having that mullet-head Melrose misuse him for over half a season in his rookie year. Stamkos career best is 18 points behind Geno's 113. Stamkos was well on his way to beating that this year and then cooled off a bit. He will gain more consistency as he gets older and continues to work on the physical training. Malkin's career year was as a 22 year old. Stamkos is 21. He is in better shape, has more heart, and trains with one of the best in the business in Gary Roberts.
    I also hear the argument that without Marty St. Louis he would not be the same but then these same people project a drop off in Malkin with the departure of Crosby.
    Again I know I am in the minority, and a Stamkos owner (not trying to beef up his trade value, he's going nowhere) but I like Stamkos a lot more in my Keeper than I would Malkin.
    Final rant, when people say things like "no question at all, or "without a doubt" when talking about Malkin over Stamkos, does not an injury history cast a little doubt into the equation? And the Russian factor too, even if it means possibly losing a few years of him on the tail end of his career? And finally, 4 years is not much of a difference, but when we are looking 5 years down the road it will be. Stamkos will be 26 in his prime, Malkin 30. Rant over.
    Stamkos is the better keeper, we'll all see in a few years. Feel free to bash away....
    My only question to you is, how do you know Stamkos has more heart than Malkin? Are you consistently in the locker room with both these guys? At practices? In the weight room?

One of my pet peeves in sports is when reporters or fans make assumptions on a player's drive or "heart." Pierre McGuire is notorious for this.

Un-related to the above, I always find it confusing when people cite Crosby's potential absence as something that will negatively impact Malkin. Geno is a very rare player, one that will produce no matter what. He actually seems to thrive when given the opportunity to be the man, as is evidence by the fact that his most productive moments are when Sid is not in the lineup.

Stamkos is one of the better players in the league without doubt, but Malkin has a clear advantage over him.
    15 GM Keeper League w/Roto Scoring (G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, HITS | W, GAA, SV%, SHO)
    Start 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 2 G (23-man rosters) | Protect 10 players w/a max of 1 goalie

C - Crosby*, Malkin* (C/R), Tavares*, Giroux* (C/R)
    L - Duchene* (C/L),
    Marleau* (C/L), Galchenyuk (C/L), Ott (C/L), Lee (C/L)
    R - Kane* (C/R), St. Louis, Neil, Clutterbuck
    D - Yandle*, Carlson*, Gardiner, Gudas, Daley, Bieksa, Schenn
    G - Lundqvist*, Rinne, Kuemper