Thread: Neal conversion

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Neal conversion

I see in yahoo player notes where the Pens are working on converting Neal to RW to play top line with Crosby and Kunitz.

Dobber Sports Novice

The more I think about it and see Neal's situation, the more I like it. Obviously playing with Sid is no brainer boost. But he's in what year 4, playing for a contract (I believe), trained with BioSteel and Gary Roberts and he's had 3 years of 20+ goals. He also played well at the World Championships in May on the top line. I don't see many drawbacks. He has the skill, the timing is right and seemingly the desire to hit career highs this year.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I see in yahoo player notes where the Pens are working on converting Neal to RW to play top line with Crosby and Kunitz.
    does this mean a LW/RW designation is possible? i know yahoo is funny with their position designations, but i read somewhere they're going with whatever nhl.com uses. he won't lose LW eligibility will he?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

definitely won't lose LW for this season, Ralph, and if it becomes fairly well established he is playing RW this season, then I would expect him to go dual for the rest of the season at some point.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by mccarty 97 View Post
    The more I think about it and see Neal's situation, the more I like it. Obviously playing with Sid is no brainer boost. But he's in what year 4, playing for a contract (I believe), trained with BioSteel and Gary Roberts and he's had 3 years of 20+ goals. He also played well at the World Championships in May on the top line. I don't see many drawbacks. He has the skill, the timing is right and seemingly the desire to hit career highs this year.
    Here's hoping you are right mcarty - I just drafted him in a league.

The Great One

I have to temper my expectations a bit on Neal, but if Crosby is healthy I have a hard time controlling my excitement. Neal is a sniper and a hard working player. He had elite chemistry with Richards, and no offence to Richards, but he is no Crosby. If Neal can find chemistry with Crosby, he could easily surpass with he was doing with Richards. Getting dual eligibility only increases his value, of course.

Neal may not explode out of the gate, especially without Crosby, but long-term I love his potential. Many wingers have become extremely valuable fantasy contributors playing with superstar Centres. Think over the years of how many wingers players like Gretzky and Lemieux elevated. One of these days Crosby will click with someone and together their numbers will explode. Crosby might finally hit that 130 pt season and his winger (an otherwise 70 pointer) might be dragged into the 90 pt range. It will happen at some point throughout Crosby's career, and Neal (at least so far) is the best winger Crosby has played with so far (minus his short stint with Hossa).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Novice

Isn't that the truth, Shoeless? I have him in a group of prospects of which I can only keep 5. Bernier, Rask, JVR, Skinner, him, Turris, OEL, Voracek....... 4 of 5 are locks and he's being debated for that 5th spot. I do like him though

I would fully expect him to get dual eligibility at some point as well.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    definitely won't lose LW for this season, Ralph, and if it becomes fairly well established he is playing RW this season, then I would expect him to go dual for the rest of the season at some point.
    thanks for the insight Rick! much appreciated