Thread: Harding or Barker

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Harding or Barker

I can only keep one who should it be?

I need both D and a goalie so position does not matter.

1 pt for a goal, 1 pt for an assist, .2 for a PIM.

Goalies 2 points for a win, 1 for a shootout loss, -1 for a loss.

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re:Harding or Barker

barker is taking a while to bloom,where as harding might be #1 next season.most pools goalies are of more value so i\'d say harding.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Backstrom will be the #1 guy in Minny for 2 years, that is a guarantee. Barker will be a PPG machine.. Unless he starts hanging around with Housley and Fleury.
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Stud

I think this decision depends on the depth of your team. Which position do you have the most depth?

I agree that Backstrom is going to be the starter in Minnesota. Harding will be the backup. I could see Harding getting in 20 games as the backup.

Barker\'s development has been slow but he is only 21 years old. He is going to get lots of opportunity to play.

Your team depth should make your decision easier. I am not \'fence sitting\'.

Regardless of team depth, if you were to consider the value of a goaltender to that of a defencemen then I would go with Harding.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

hockeylifer wrote:
    I think this decision depends on the depth of your team. Which position do you have the most depth?

I agree that Backstrom is going to be the starter in Minnesota. Harding will be the backup. I could see Harding getting in 20 games as the backup.

Barker\'s development has been slow but he is only 21 years old. He is going to get lots of opportunity to play.

Your team depth should make your decision easier. I am not \'fence sitting\'.

Regardless of team depth, if you were to consider the value of a goaltender to that of a defencemen then I would go with Harding.
    I have no depth in goal or d, I am protecting 2C, 2RW, 2LW - I need to dress 1 goalie and 4D along with the above.

Goalies tend to get more points but we need to dress more D. I like Harding but with the signing of Backstrom he could be brought along slowly. If Fernandez is moved that could change things a bit.

Barker\'s PIMs help, not to mention he\'ll play 25 minutes a night in Chicago. A 30 point d-man with 100 PIMs is good for 50 points - not bad production for a dman. But if Harding becomes the starter he could get 80+ points.

Dobber Sports Stud

I think that Harding might get into 20 games. He won\'t be a starter. Harding will be the starter but it won\'t be for a few years. If you need help sooner than later, and can\'t wait for Harding, then you should go with Barker. You might try to work a trade by offering Harding, for another defenceman, rather than just drop him.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

My suggestion could apply to either player, but because of the limited number of goalies on an NHL team, I\'m going to apply this situation to Harding...

Keep Barker.

Never talk about Harding in your pool. In fact, you should even go so far as to talk a lot about how good Backstrom is. Throw people off the Harding trail. Should somebody draft Harding, you could always trade for him later. But not too much later, as his value could increase unexpectedly quick. Or, you could always re-draft him yourself.

Dobber Sports Stud

If Harding\'s your only goalie, I\'d highly recommend that you try to make a move for someone better. As for Barker, the problem is that you\'re liable to lose him to injury for at least 20% of the season.
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If Harding\'s your only goalie, I\'d highly recommend that you try to make a move for someone better. As for Barker, the problem is that you\'re liable to lose him to injury for at least 20% of the season.
    I don\'t have a goalie - we only protect 6 and I\'m choosing to protect six forwards. Since we are only required to dress one goalie there will be plenty available in the draft.

I\'m just having doubts about Barker, I don\'t think he\'ll put up that many points. His PIM\'s will help.

Harding on the other hand I think will be a stud when he arrives. Questions is when will he be given the opportunity now that Backstrom is signed.

I also doubt Fernandez will be traded any time soon. With a 4.5 million dollar contract. He\'s always shared the role and never been the #1, it\'s always been a dual role. Then last season he got outplayed by 2 rookies. Hopefully some GM bites and takes him off Minny\'s hands.

There\'s always the possibility that I protect Harding (players under 59 games have special status in our pool and you are allowed a \'rookie\' protection) and draft Backstrom in the middle rounds to form a decent combo. As mentioned most guys in our pool have goalies locked up but are weak at forward.

If someone could convince me that Barker will get 40 points + 80-100 Pims then I\'d probably protect him. Have my doubts that he will.

Dobber Sports Stud

So you think that they will keep Fernandez at 4.5 million albeit he will not be the starter. Why would they do that if they could trade him for an asset? There are several teams in need of a starting goaltender. I am going to suggest that he will be gone from Minnesota. Harding will be the \'backup\'. Backstrom will be the starter.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Risebrough was quoted yesterday he\'s in no hurry to move Fernandez and will wait for a good offer. Sounds like he\'s not getting any good offers.

I think they should move him but will have trouble moving his salary.

Dobber Sports Stud

I wouldn\'t read too much into that quote - it\'s standard good negotiating practice, you don\'t want the world to know you\'re desperate or you won\'t get anything in return. Exactly the dilemma the Bruins are facing with Zinovjev.

I agree, the salary\'s an issue. He\'s got to be hoping the Panthers don\'t get their hands on Toskala.

EDIT: FLA spending that much on Allen doesn\'t help, either...

Post edited by: Thieving Giraffe, at: 2007/06/13 20:45
    T.G.