Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [Market Buzz] Mailbag - August 1st

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by joos View Post
    HUGEE responds GM! Some damn right good pts to consider.

I am definitely a contender in both leagues... most of my core are relatively young so while I do want to win now, I balance the short and long-term goals.

First league. I am definitely an advocate of strong goalies so I wouldn't mind running Bryz, Halak, Luongo. The only issue in moving Neuvirth is 1) he wont be a full starter this season and 2) his contract is very cheap. Unless I get a top-end skater on an ELC, the salary difference would be too much. Also, most "young" teams don't have great assets other than top prospect picks. Hence, I've floated the idea of trading either Halak, Luongo or 1st overall pick. I do also have the 5th overall pick in this league which will help fill out some of my holes (mainly on D). I could potentially move Luongo for a top end winger who is still young.

Second league. Very very interesting to note the pt about division rivals... I've been looking to trade Hiller this entire time and could potentially get Carter for him. Question is would you rather role with Carter/Fleury/Bryz or Hiller/Fleury/Bryz. My potential centers in that league would be Backstrom, Fisher and Turris (maybe Pavelski, Giroux and Benn). I could potentially trade Fleury but I do like him over Hiller.

I really prefer to not waste such a high pick on Vokoun simply because of his 1 yr contract. He wouldn't be available via trade. Ideally if I move Fleury or Hiller, I'd like a skater straight up and run with one of Hiller/Fleury and Bryz
    Thanks Joos, I can't stop now though - you keep giving me more food to chew! haha...

First league - Keeping Neuvirth may be your best bet value wise, unless like you mentioned, getting a top end ELC ala Eberle, MPS, Couture, Skinner etc... So yeah, unless you plan on moving the 1st overall pick, your best bet would be to move either Halak or Luongo - Lou will get you more of a catch.

Does your league of a trade block or message board / shout box? If so definitely post up Luongo, Halak and the 1st overall on it and see the reactions of fellow GM.

Weigh the options of bait Luongo gets vs. the 1st overall and see what fits your mold better. At the end of the day, Bryz is 10M and Luongo 6.7 so that 3.3M will give you enough pull to land bigger catches via FA.

Second League

You know, if you can get Carter straight up for Hiller, I'd consider it. Even though you're deep at C, I consider him a must own, especially with your cats. Running with Bryz and Fleury is still top notch, just several weeks in the season, you'll be thinking to yourself "Do I start only one? or do I start both against eachother?" and H2H one move can make or break your week.

So forget Vokoun, trade Hiller for Carter and ride out Bryz + Fleury. You might even think about moving either or for a different goalie mid-season.

Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Easy enough one for you. Which side do you like for the next 3 years, with a focus on next year? G A SOG +/- PPP SHP Hits Blks

Last year by the numbers:
    Anisimov - 18 26 190 3 8 0 74 45
    Little - 18 30 158 11 10 3 41 31

Anisimov wins SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Little wins +/-, PPP, SHP
    Draws (or close) are G, A

I know projections aren't really your thing, but who do you like here?

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Easy enough one for you. Which side do you like for the next 3 years, with a focus on next year? G A SOG +/- PPP SHP Hits Blks

Last year by the numbers:
    Anisimov - 18 26 190 3 8 0 74 45
    Little - 18 30 158 11 10 3 41 31

Anisimov wins SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Little wins +/-, PPP, SHP
    Draws (or close) are G, A

I know projections aren't really your thing, but who do you like here?
    I have to side with Anisimov here ... as long as he stays in NY! haha...

No really though, depending on how one builds their team (which I know you can do very well), they will see where they are lacking. Evidently, when considering Anisimov or Little, I think you are deep enough to know what your team needs are.

Personally I like SOG, Hits, and Blocked Shots more than +/-, PPP and SHP, but the latter brings intangibles to your team if they can be repeated. I wouldn't say a 10 to 8 PPP is a win for the former so it really boils down to SHP and +/-. If you have a Daniel Sedin, or a Mike Richards, chances are you're more likely going to need SOG and Hits over say Jeff Carter, Eric Staal or Dustin Brown.

The way that I see it is that Anisimov will constently give you a bump in those extra categories week to week where as Little will have the potential to steal a category every once in a while.

Similar players, different peripheral results.

Good question.

those are the key stats
    Gates Imbeau

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    I have to side with Anisimov here ... as long as he stays in NY! haha...

No really though, depending on how one builds their team (which I know you can do very well), they will see where they are lacking. Evidently, when considering Anisimov or Little, I think you are deep enough to know what your team needs are.

Personally I like SOG, Hits, and Blocked Shots more than +/-, PPP and SHP, but the latter brings intangibles to your team if they can be repeated. I wouldn't say a 10 to 8 PPP is a win for the former so it really boils down to SHP and +/-. If you have a Daniel Sedin, or a Mike Richards, chances are you're more likely going to need SOG and Hits over say Jeff Carter, Eric Staal or Dustin Brown.

The way that I see it is that Anisimov will constently give you a bump in those extra categories week to week where as Little will have the potential to steal a category every once in a while.

Similar players, different peripheral results.

Good question.

those are the key stats
    Thanks for the answer. I like Anisimov better too but can't help but wonder if where he'll slot in next year, as it could be 3rd C whereas Little is a lock for top 6.

You're bang on.

I guess we have to put our preferences aside, and choose the guy that benefit your team more. In that sense, Little is the safer pick (stealing SHP once or twice along the way). Although if you have room to gamble, Anisimov could surprise.

What if Stepan slides and opens up that 2nd C slot? What if Anisimov wins moves to the wing and bumps Wolski out of the Top 6?

hmmm
    Gates Imbeau

You're bang on.

I guess we have to put our preferences aside, and choose the guy that benefit your team more. In that sense, Little is the safer pick (stealing SHP once or twice along the way). Although if you have room to gamble, Anisimov could surprise.

What if Stepan slides and opens up that 2nd C slot? What if Anisimov wins moves to the wing and bumps Wolski out of the Top 6?

hmmm
    This is what makes it a difficult choice Going to roll with Anisimov due to slightly lower caphit.

Though Dobber guide has Anisimov pencilled in for 49 and Little for 55..

Dobber Sports Genius

Thanks Joos, I can't stop now though - you keep giving me more food to chew! haha...

Second League

You know, if you can get Carter straight up for Hiller, I'd consider it. Even though you're deep at C, I consider him a must own, especially with your cats. Running with Bryz and Fleury is still top notch, just several weeks in the season, you'll be thinking to yourself "Do I start only one? or do I start both against eachother?" and H2H one move can make or break your week.

So forget Vokoun, trade Hiller for Carter and ride out Bryz + Fleury. You might even think about moving either or for a different goalie mid-season.

Just an update. We finally agreed on a deal.

Trade Hiller for Carter, Coyle and 2012 2nd rd prospect pick (probably 18-22ish)

Took a long time and I had to scale back the trade a few times but I am still happy to get Coyle as well.

Looks like Bryz/Fleury will be my duo going forward.
    14 GM H2H Salary Cap League (Salaries not Caps)
    Stats:G A +/- PIM PPG PPA SHP GWG SOG FW HITS|W GAA SV SV% SHO
    Start: 2C,2LW,2RW,4D,2UTIL,2G
    Prospect Farm (<92GP skaters, <60 goalies)

Dobber Pro League Wales Division - Roto
    Stats: G,A,+/-,PiM,PPP,SOG|W,GAA,Saves
    Start: 4C,4L,4R,6D,2G (Weekly changes)
    2010 - 3rd place
    2009 - 3rd place

Just an update. We finally agreed on a deal.

Trade Hiller for Carter, Coyle and 2012 2nd rd prospect pick (probably 18-22ish)

Took a long time and I had to scale back the trade a few times but I am still happy to get Coyle as well.

Looks like Bryz/Fleury will be my duo going forward.
    I like this trade for you, getting Coyle and a 2nd is a nice bonus.

Great job joos!
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Genius

Thoughts on his potential trade in my league one...

halak/leblanc/5th overall for ott/ej/7th overall.

good 4th center in Ott (behind crosby, backstrom, berglund)... big multi-cat guy. ej definitely should help my on the blue line and should be great with my elloitt as well.

seems like its now this one or the ryan trade.

2010 - 3rd place
    2009 - 3rd place

Thoughts on his potential trade in my league one...

halak/leblanc/5th overall for ott/ej/7th overall.

good 4th center in Ott (behind crosby, backstrom, berglund)... big multi-cat guy. ej definitely should help my on the blue line and should be great with my elloitt as well.

seems like its now this one or the ryan trade.
    The only thing I'm worried about is the cap, for next year (Bryz drops to 6.5M the year after).

Gaining Bryz (10M - FA), Ott (3.3M) + EJ (3M) for Halak (and one drop?) is enough salary to take on. Otherwise, I think it is a better return than the McBain for Halak deal.

I'd also consider leaving the picks out of it - unless it is a deal breaker.

Ott is a very good 4th centerman and will hit your peripheral categories.

EJ is solid as well and should have a great year.

Best of all you aren't losing Clowe.

Rolling with Luongo, Bryz and Neuvirth is just plain nasty.
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Genius

Well... I currently have 18 mill (max 77.5) for 5 empty roster spots.

After the changes, I would have around 6 mill for 3 spots. Little tight but manageable.

EJ and Ott's contracts are good value. Only issue is EJ is a RFA next season so I could get hit hard with a RFA bid, and I also have JvR and Benn... but thats more or less a problem to look at later.

I personally think Ott brings great value... I don't necessary need 40+ pts from him, but he'd helps with FWs, Hits and PIM. EJ is another solid performer across the board. And yes, not moving Clowe is a big plus.

Would you take this deal over a deal like Ryan+Schenn+Ellis for Bryz+Clowe? If I could get like Lehner in this deal, I think I'd take this one but I dont think I can. Right now I am leaning towards this deal for Halak.

2010 - 3rd place
    2009 - 3rd place

I think the Ryan deal is going sideways with assets, while you stand to gain from the Halak deal. Like you mentioned, you get Bryz, add two solid value guys in Ott and EJ while keeping Clowe.

Is that worth losing the chance at landing Ryan? Yes.

This deal makes your team better and pushes you further on your quest to win.
    Gates Imbeau