Thread: 3 of 4

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default 3 of 4

May be a bit early but I could use the advice.
    Keeper league...G, A, PTS, +/-...positions matter

I can keep 3 of the following 4.

I'll list them with the position availability (based on listed at least 2 times in the Hockey News periodical during the season) and some random thoughts.
    I maintain at least a 3 year outlook...so advice should focus on the longer term - not just next season.

Benn: LW/RW/C...up-and-comer, could stay on the wing or even assume top C psn next year.

Seguin: LW/RW/C...developing slower but shows enough with the limited minutes...traded Spezza to secure him in last year's draft (had too many centers at the time) and haven't realized payback on the high investment yet...hope this isn't Turris reincarnate since I really won't wait that long.

Semin: RW...typical prolific russian scorer...1 year deal...KHL threat...injury risk...possible trade from WSH.

Skinner: LW...rookie hasn't score that many goals since the kid...may be due for a sophomore slump but not concerned about weathering a year.

My thanks to all that share your thoughts.
    RFHL: 12 Member League Founded 1989 Rochester, NY
    Limited 10 Positional Player Keeper League
    G, A, PTS, 2W+OL, SV%, GAA
    C: Tavares, Kopitar, BJugstad, Kesler, Fabbri
    LW: Hall, Benn, Voracek, Fabbri
    RW: Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, MacKinnon
    D: Hedman, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Parayko, S. Jones, Pietrangelo
    G: Price, Murray

Dobber Sports Wizard

That is a toughie. Benn, Seguin and Skinner are all young studs in the making with no blemish on their record yet, unlike Semin. Semin is the best scorer of them all right now but has several shortcomings: consistent injury history, inconsistency and the (pretty slight IMO) risk of bolting to the KHL. The injury history is what is mostly concerning for me as he misses around 15 games a year. But he is so productive even with the fewer games played. Very very tough choice. But I think I'd keep Seguin and Skinner - they have such a tremendous future. Then it's a choice between Benn and Semin. I would probably keep Benn as Semin is likely going to continue to miss games so you're going to get on average 70-75 points from him whereas Benn should produce more than that in a couple of years. Also, Benn has LW elibility, which Semin does not.

The obligatory question: can you trade two for one and make your decision a lot easier?
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

My opinion here is to go with Semin, Skinner and most importantly Benn.

Seguin is the odd-man out here because he will progress more slowly than Benn and Skinner. There's alot of hype around these guys and I'm not going to make the same mistake with Benn than i did with Neal. They play roughly the same game. I know that now Richards may leave it leaves Dallas a little more thin at the top but that just means the others (Eriksson, Benn, Morrow) will get more time in the top PP unit and that's going to be dynamite with a passer like Ribeiro.

As for Skinner, rookie of the year honors are going to him. Plain and simple.

Finally, the debate between Semin and Seguin. I say go for the gold here and take one of the best talents in the game WHEN he plays. The production he'll put up in the next 2-3 years will far outweigh anything Seguin does. Plus Seguin will be much easier to draft.
    League 1: 12 teams (drafted 10th) - Standard public Yahoo league - G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG - W,GAA,SV%,SHO

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    G:

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Oh and "EVERYBODY DO THE MICHIGAN RAAAAAAG!"
    League 1: 12 teams (drafted 10th) - Standard public Yahoo league - G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG - W,GAA,SV%,SHO

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    G:

Dobber Sports Pro

Can you make a trade before the drops??
    If not drop Seguin, if so drop Semin for some excellent return and let someone else worry about what to do with him long term.

Banned

i agree with the consensus, try and deal first...even if you overpay and lose the deal on paper, if you get a slightly better player for a package including Seguin (the farthest away developmentally from a fantasy perspective) its better than dropping him

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    i agree with the consensus, try and deal first...even if you overpay and lose the deal on paper, if you get a slightly better player for a package including Seguin (the farthest away developmentally from a fantasy perspective) its better than dropping him
    Agreed. Rumour has Claude loving Jordan Caron, so that tips the scales for me in a very tough question. Move something and make your life easier.

Dobber Sports Genius

Skinner
    Benn
    Seguin
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks for the input.

I am testing the waters on the trade route.

Seguin is a hard sell...since he's still a prospect, the return is lukewarm at best and the teams that could use a good prospect are drafting ahead of me so they will stonewall and then pick him up in the draft for themselves. Definite 0 prbability that I can secure him back in the draft if I walk away form him now.

I have some interest in Semin. Even though he is the most productive, he is also the most mercurial...may lead the league in goals next year...may be playing in the KHL the year after.

Another owner offered me Yandle for Benn & Grabner so I could pull that deal and lose Benn. If I get Yandle, I'd be dropping Jack Johnson and Pietrangelo since I already own M.Green and can only keep 2 D-Men.

I had another offer of Doughty for Skinner but I passed on it. I could test the waters on that one again but the owner will not be as willing now that his other D-Man (Rafalski) announced retirement.
    RFHL: 12 Member League Founded 1989 Rochester, NY
    Limited 10 Positional Player Keeper League
    G, A, PTS, 2W+OL, SV%, GAA
    C: Tavares, Kopitar, BJugstad, Kesler, Fabbri
    LW: Hall, Benn, Voracek, Fabbri
    RW: Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, MacKinnon
    D: Hedman, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Parayko, S. Jones, Pietrangelo
    G: Price, Murray

Dobber Sports Genius

I would have taken Doughty for Skinner hands down man. Doughty is a rare talent and that would have given you possibly the best 2 D keepers in the game.

I'd see if you could package Semin and Seguin for someone together. Might be able to find something there.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak