Thread: will Spezza be back?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default will Spezza be back?

My question is will Jason Spezza come back to form....which means over 70pts or is he stuck at around 55-65, I put in an offer for him and was wondering if he was still worth going after. Points only.
    limited Keeper league points only , keep 9

FWDS: Tarasenko, Wheeler, Oshie, Nichuskin

Spezza, Sheifele, Kuznetsov, Duchene

DEF: Shattenkirk

GOAL: Bishop

Dobber Sports Genius

Over 70pts? Sure, he can do that again. I think if he played 70-80 games a season you'd see that on a regular basis. He's shown that he can produce with little to no support, with second rate linemates, as he did in the latter half of this last season. As always, it depends on his health. If he plays 60 games you'll probably see around 55-60 points, if he plays 70+ games you should see 70+ points. Don't panic if he starts slow, as he has the last couple seasons, only to turn it up in the second half.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Not until they can acquire a good sniper for him to set up and take pressue off him. I don't think Alfie can do that anymore and give him adequate support. Too many defenses are trying to gang bang him without having to worry about any other OTT threats. They need someone like a Vanek or Parise to play with him before he can go back to the old days.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Veteran

Depends on games played. He's gone on a tear at the end of the last 2 seasons where he produces well over a ppg (this year with subpar linemates as well). He's a band-aid boy though so be warned.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Pro

when he was putting up his big numbers he had Alfi and Heater on his wings with a good second line of suport. I think we his current team as it stands now 70 is possible but don't expect a whole lot more. My prediction 68 points in 73 games.

Depending on what you have to give up to get him I would say he is a buy low right now.

what was the offer that may help to know.
    Year 18 keeper pool. 10 GM roto pool. Keep 2 Centers, 3 Wings,3 Defence,1 Goalie,1 extra. and Prospects up to 5 years after drafted if not activated.
    G, A ,PPG, PPA, Shots, Hits, Blocks, SHP,W, GAA, Sv%, SO ( goals and assist are worth 1.5 points) (shp worth .5)

Centers: S Aho, J.T Miller

Wings: M.Tkachuk, A.Svechnikov, Fiala, Giroux

Defence: Josi,Makar,Chychrun

Goalie: Georgiev

(IR)

Farm: Byfield, Byram, Mercer, Lundkvist Frost, Boldy, Comtois, Fabbro, Nemec , Barlow, Carlsson, Dvorsky,

2015 & 2016 BPKL CHAMPS!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think Spezza is good for 65-75 pts next season depending on two things:

1. His Health - Spezza is now a band-aid boy and has missed 42 games in the last 2 seasons. He has the skill to do it alone and has maintained a near point a game pace even after loosing Heatley and Alfredsson (to injury this season).

2. Bobby Butler - The Sens organization are hoping this guy pans out to be the sniper they need. He may not be a "pure goal scorer" but surely didnt disappoint in his rookie campaign posting 10G-11A-21PTS in 36 GP, a 48 pts season pace, which would have been good for 5th in rookie scoring.

This is just my take on it, but Butler played 91.6% of his games as Spezza's winger and saw 1st PP duty for the bulk of his time with the Sens.
    GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    RW: Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Cole, Shane Doan, Jackob Silfverberg
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by nicka_004 View Post
    Depending on what you have to give up to get him I would say he is a buy low right now.
    what was the offer that may help to know.
    True.

Spezza would defenitly be one of your 9 keepers.
    If you can grab him without touching your top keepers, go for it.
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

The Great One

On paper, Spezza is among the players currently in the NHL who has the tools to put up 80+ points per year. Yes, injuries have derailed him a bit, but the fact remains that since his first year in the league Spezza has done no worse than .9 points per game in any season. That's pretty impressive, and until he stops doing that he needs to be treated like a point per game player, albeit one who gets hurt more than most and who can have a two weeks stretch where he gets zero points followed by a two week stretch where he gets 11 points in 6 games. He's the kind of player you draft and keep in your line-up unless he's hurt - he's too streaky to cycle in and out when healthy.

I do think the next year or two will tell us a lot about him, as he's almost 30 and has shown a few trouble signs in terms of effort/attitude.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I've always liked Spezza however as already stated he is very streaky and he's a band-aid boy on top of that. Good in Roto leagues but pure frustration in H2H leagues.
    League Champion 2006, 2007, 2008
    12 Team, 8 keeper H2H League
    Skater Stats(4C,4LW,4RW,4D): G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,FOW
    Goalie Stats(2G): W,GA,SV,SO

C: Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf, Berglund
    LW: Parise, Hall, Duchene, Tanguay
    RW: Malkin, Wheeler, C. Stewart, Stempniak
    D: Doughty, Green, Phaneuf
    G: Luongo, Schneider, Ward

PSN ID: wminogue

Dobber Sports Genius

Would anyone trade Krejci straight up for Spezza , or even attempt to get Spezza and a deep pick as well for Krejci?
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPuckCanuck View Post
    I think Spezza is good for 65-75 pts next season depending on two things:

1. His Health - Spezza is now a band-aid boy and has missed 42 games in the last 2 seasons. He has the skill to do it alone and has maintained a near point a game pace even after loosing Heatley and Alfredsson (to injury this season).

2. Bobby Butler - The Sens organization are hoping this guy pans out to be the sniper they need. He may not be a "pure goal scorer" but surely didnt disappoint in his rookie campaign posting 10G-11A-21PTS in 36 GP, a 48 pts season pace, which would have been good for 5th in rookie scoring.

This is just my take on it, but Butler played 91.6% of his games as Spezza's winger and saw 1st PP duty for the bulk of his time with the Sens.
    I think you are right on about Butler. If he keeps scoring goals, just like he did last year with the Sens and in the AHL, he could help Spezza get back to 70-80 points

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Spezza can and should score at a ppg pace.

Health is his limiter. Last few years he has started the year with groin issues, then around beginning of winter a decent injury or continued groin issues take him from the line up. Then he comes back healthy and tears it up.

If he or the Sens can figure out an off season program that works for him, Spezza will get 80 in 80 or more. If not, it will be more of the same - 53/60 or something like that.