Thread: Girioux a center or wing in yahoo 2011-2012 season

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Girioux a center or wing in yahoo 2011-2012 season

I know Giroux is listed as a winger in Yahoo now but is there a chance he gets listed as a center? I know he plays alot of center which scares me.

thoughts
    Year 18 keeper pool. 10 GM roto pool. Keep 2 Centers, 3 Wings,3 Defence,1 Goalie,1 extra. and Prospects up to 5 years after drafted if not activated.
    G, A ,PPG, PPA, Shots, Hits, Blocks, SHP,W, GAA, Sv%, SO ( goals and assist are worth 1.5 points) (shp worth .5)

Centers: S Aho, J.T Miller

Wings: M.Tkachuk, A.Svechnikov, Fiala, Giroux

Defence: Josi,Makar,Chychrun

Goalie: Georgiev

(IR)

Farm: Byfield, Byram, Mercer, Lundkvist Frost, Boldy, Comtois, Fabbro, Nemec , Barlow, Carlsson, Dvorsky,

2015 & 2016 BPKL CHAMPS!

Dobber Sports Wizard

He will probably be C/RW for the next year or two. But I would think only C after that.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Honestly - its impossible to gauge. Once Yahoo goes down for their changes, who knows what he will come back with. It is equally likely that he starts as just C or just RW, but given that he played C mostly (I think), I'd brace myself for him starting as C with the potential for dual eligibility.
    Setting up the play.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by thatbirdguy View Post
    Honestly - its impossible to gauge. Once Yahoo goes down for their changes, who knows what he will come back with. It is equally likely that he starts as just C or just RW, but given that he played C mostly (I think), I'd brace myself for him starting as C with the potential for dual eligibility.
    +1 this. Cannot predict Yahoo.
    14 GM H2H Salary Cap League (Salaries not Caps)
    Stats:G A +/- PIM PPG PPA SHP GWG SOG FW HITS|W GAA SV SV% SHO
    Start: 2C,2LW,2RW,4D,2UTIL,2G
    Prospect Farm (<92GP skaters, <60 goalies)

Dobber Pro League Wales Division - Roto
    Stats: G,A,+/-,PiM,PPP,SOG|W,GAA,Saves
    Start: 4C,4L,4R,6D,2G (Weekly changes)
    2010 - 3rd place
    2009 - 3rd place

Dobber Sports Giant

yahoo sometimes takes forever to change guys though.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Giroux played a little bit of RW this year... but 2nd half of the year he was 95% center.
    Giroux finished 45th in the NHL with 1095 faceoffs taken.
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/app?service=p...lFaceOffs&pg=2

The top 60 guys, by faceoffs, represent pretty much the top 2 lines of centers on 30 NHL teams (30x2=60).

Once upon a time I had a discussion about centers & stat tracking in a thread. Somebody posted a gamelog link showing how the NHL logs statistics by placing everybody in a "slot" at each faceoff - which does NOT depend on their "existing position". (I would also assume that the people that track "ice-time" also watch who comes on for who. Therefore, a player might get computer-tracked as a center if he shift-changes for a center).

Another player that follows Giroux's predicament is David Backes, who was a winger in 09/10 but a center in 10/11.

What you will find is that certain hockey sites (Yahoo, NHL.com) have the same positions listed for Giroux & Backes (RW only), while other hockey sites (TSN, the Hockey News) adjusted Giroux & Backes to C/RW.

Why would Giroux become C only?
    *Because he is a center and his faceoff totals prove it (fantasy-wise).

Why would Giroux retain RW eligibility?
    *Because Yahoo left him as RW all season, and it would be too "shocking" a change to go from one year to the next year with a completely new position change.

Pengwin7's guess for 2011-2012 Yahoo:
    C only, based on compiled 2010-2011 statistical data, especially face-offs.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yep, I don't even bother trying to predict Yahoo.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

He should be C-only, but who knows with Yahoo.

Banned

This brings up an interesting question for those of us who have shrugged off the yoke of Yahoo and play in leagues where the Commish can override the eligibility of players manually. I commish a league where this has come up for discussion before and we elected to not to make use of that feature because we couldn't come up with a fair way of determining eligibility. Like if only Frozen Pool did actual positions along with its line combos we would just use that. I wonder if using faceoffs could be used as a determining factor for granting C eligibility...like say if they are in the top 60 in the league and they are listed as a winger they get the dual eligibility. Doesn't really provide a mechanism for guys who convert to wing though. Dual eligibility also provides a distinct advantage in positional leagues too so I wouldn't want it to be abused either. Thoughts???

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Mcgoo - I have two recommendations you could consider:

1) Just go with TSN.ca. They are pretty good positionally.

2) I have found that 10 faceoffs per game establishes a pretty good benchmark of whether a guy is a "fantasy center". If you want to consider by minutes then 0.5 faceoffs/minute = Benchmark.
    (since 10+ faceoffs in 20min/ice time is easily attained by a center)

From there, you (as commish) should decide on the number of games where a guy DOES or DOES NOT hit the benchmark. 20 games is probably pretty reasonable.

So say Evgeni Malkin starts the first 20 games next year and has less than 10 faceoffs in each of those 20 games... you grant him wing eligibility. (and could consider stripping him of his C eligibility)

Likewise, a guy like Giroux could become ONLY C at 20 games of 10+ faceoffs.

If you want to switch a player to an "exclusive" position during the year, you could give a team a warning at either the 10 or 15game mark. "Claude Giroux has now played 15 games as a Center, by our rules. At the 20 game mark, he will become C only - please plan accordingly".

You would have to ask that all GMs in the league help with policing a position - as it would be too much work for the commissioner alone.

Dobber Sports Pro

thanks for the insight +1 rep for Penguin
    Year 18 keeper pool. 10 GM roto pool. Keep 2 Centers, 3 Wings,3 Defence,1 Goalie,1 extra. and Prospects up to 5 years after drafted if not activated.
    G, A ,PPG, PPA, Shots, Hits, Blocks, SHP,W, GAA, Sv%, SO ( goals and assist are worth 1.5 points) (shp worth .5)

Centers: S Aho, J.T Miller

Wings: M.Tkachuk, A.Svechnikov, Fiala, Giroux

Defence: Josi,Makar,Chychrun

Goalie: Georgiev

(IR)

Farm: Byfield, Byram, Mercer, Lundkvist Frost, Boldy, Comtois, Fabbro, Nemec , Barlow, Carlsson, Dvorsky,

2015 & 2016 BPKL CHAMPS!

Dobber Sports Pro

Years ago when Yahoo granted quite a few players Dual eligibility and updated regularly, I didn't mind dual or triple eligibility.

Right now, it is a joke and is detrimental to leagues using positions. How many players did we see all season long playing wing, but listed as a center? I used to try and draft these types of players knowing they would be adjusted, but now it's useless.

Sites like Yahoo need to maintain positional eligibility "AS IT RELATES TO FANTASY HOCKEY" if they are going to allow it in their leagues. If they are not going to do a decent job, players should be restricted to one position all season.

Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta