Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canadiens sign Emelin

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Canadiens sign Emelin

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...under-contract

MONTREAL – Montreal Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier announced today the signing of defenseman Alexsey Emelin to a one-year, two-way contract (2011-12). As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

“We are very pleased to have reached an agreement with Alexsey Emelin. Alexsey is a steady, physical defenseman with strong skating ability. The experience he has acquired in the KHL over the past few years will make for a smooth transition to the NHL,” said Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier.

Emelin registered 27 points (11 goals, 16 assists), leading his team defensemen in goals, playing 52 games with the Kazan Ak Bars of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) in 2010-11. Seven of his goals were scored on the powerplay. Emelin, 25, recorded 110 shots on goal, while averaging 21:18 seconds of ice time per game. He displayed a +17 plus/minus differential and served 92 penalty minutes.

In three complete seasons with the Kazan Ak Bars, the 6’2’’, 223 lbs defenseman totaled 37 points (12 goals, 25 assists) with 200 penalty minutes in 149 games, while maintaining a +22 plus/minus differential. Emelin totalled 14 points (6 goals, 8 assists) in 38 career KHL playoff contests.

Emelin, who was part of the Russian team at the 2011 World Championship in Slovakia, was a member of the Russian team that captured silver at the 2010 World Championship in Cologne, Germany and participated in the 2007 World Championship in Moscow. He was on the Russian team that won the silver medal at the 2006 World Junior Championship in Vancouver.

A native of Togliatti, Russia, Emelin was the Canadiens’ second pick (third round, 84th overall) at the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

Administrator

Thanks for posting. Sounds like a risk-reward thing as the entry level deal is just one year due to his age. He's been a question mark for many years.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

Marinaro had Pierre McGuire on TEam 990 today and asked about Yemelin.

Pierre's take is that he's not terribly huge but he's definitely NHL-ready and can be a useful player even this year. He thinks alot depends on how the first 25 or so games go, with him getting used to the smaller ice surface.

One thing's for sure, this almost certainly means Markov will be signed, he'll be a huge mentor for Yemelin.

Habs blueline looks interesting for next year.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post

One thing's for sure, this almost certainly means Markov will be signed, he'll be a huge mentor for Yemelin.
    I was thinking the same thing that this might be a tip of the hand RE Markov.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Diffusion View Post
    I was thinking the same thing that this might be a tip of the hand RE Markov.

For sure, especially since Don Meehan represents both Markov and Yemelin. I imagine we’ll hear that Markov signing any day now, and Markov/Yemelin on the blueline means that we will likely keep only one of Gill/Hamrlik/Wisniewski and given how attractive Wis will be in this weakish UFA D market, I imagine he's gone.

Yemelin is NHL-ready, according to Pierre McGuire – not huge but a strong, punishing D-first Dman. My hunch is he’ll make the team and play with Markov, the Russian thing, but it depends on lots of factors.

My prediction is the Habs stick with their current D corps and use the cap space to go after a big, solid top 6 winger, like a Brooks Laich or that kind of player.

In my view, that means the D corps stacks up like this:

Markov Yemelin
    Subban Gill
    Spacek Gorges
    Weber (or Diaz)

I think Sopel and Mara are out. I think they sign one of Hamrlik and Gill and probably Gill given he has the A and will come much cheaper, plus he's more important in the locker room especially during playoff time. Hamrlik would have taken a hometown discount but probably woudl still be too expensive, and we have to conserve cash to sign Gorges, who should get a long term deal in the $3-$3.5 range (maybe more). Spacek sucks but has one more year. Another option is to sign both Gill and Hamrlik for only one year and keep Weber as injury insurance in the AHL, but I don't believe that Hamrlik will accept small dollars AND small term at his age so he's probably gone.

This Yemelin signing is great because it will allow the Canadiens to focus their free agency acquisitions on a big, skilled top 6 W, and they'll have plenty of cash to throw around.
    I would love to see a Brooks Laich in bleu/blanc/rouge.
    Last edited by ross10019; May 18, 2011 at 11:24 AM.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Wizard

This Yemelin signing is great because it will allow the Canadiens to focus their free agency acquisitions on a big, skilled top 6 W, and they'll have plenty of cash to throw around.
    I would love to see a Brooks Laich in bleu/blanc/rouge.
    Laich may get a huge contract this summer since he is one of the best UFA players available. He might get up to 5-6M. Since Gionta is Montreal's only top-6 RW, one of Cammalleri, Pacioretty or Laich would have to play RW.

If Habs get rid of Kostitsyn, Pouliot, Hamrlik, Wiz and Sopel, they really do have a lot of cap space. Something like 7-9M. That should be enough for a good top-6 forward.

I would put those defenders like this:
    Markov-Gorges
    Gill-Subban
    Spacek-Yemelin

The only thing wrong with that is only Subban shoots from the right side...

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Laich may get a huge contract this summer since he is one of the best UFA players available. He might get up to 5-6M. Since Gionta is Montreal's only top-6 RW, one of Cammalleri, Pacioretty or Laich would have to play RW.

If Habs get rid of Kostitsyn, Pouliot, Hamrlik, Wiz and Sopel, they really do have a lot of cap space. Something like 7-9M. That should be enough for a good top-6 forward.

I would put those defenders like this:
    Markov-Gorges
    Gill-Subban
    Spacek-Yemelin

The only thing wrong with that is only Subban shoots from the right side...

I too would normally put Markov and Gorges together, it's after all our no 1 pairing, but I think it's an even chance that they pair Yemelin with Markov at least for some shifts.

It's nice to have that cap flexibility. And keep in mind the cap may very well go up by up to $5 million, so even more space. Plenty to sign a high impact forward with size, including a guy like Laich, but I agree with you there will probably be way too much competition for Laich (assuming the Caps dont' re-sign him).

Dobber Sports Wizard

It's nice to have that cap flexibility. And keep in mind the cap may very well go up by up to $5 million, so even more space. Plenty to sign a high impact forward with size, including a guy like Laich, but I agree with you there will probably be way too much competition for Laich (assuming the Caps dont' re-sign him).
    I was actually already using that bigger cap (62M), so without it I think they only have around 4-6M. I don't think it goes up by 5M but 3M is very much possible.

Laich is a great #2LW who can do so much more than just score, so there will be some competition for sure. I mean, who else is out there? Brad Richards, yes, but after that it's players like Gagne, Connolly, Arnott, Ryder, Handzus, Cole... And Laich is better than any of them.

I guess the Caps want to make some real changes if they don't keep him. I would do everything possible to keep him.

Dobber Sports Icon

I was actually already using that bigger cap (62M), so without it I think they only have around 4-6M. I don't think it goes up by 5M but 3M is very much possible.

Laich is a great #2LW who can do so much more than just score, so there will be some competition for sure. I mean, who else is out there? Brad Richards, yes, but after that it's players like Gagne, Connolly, Arnott, Ryder, Handzus, Cole... And Laich is better than any of them.

I guess the Caps want to make some real changes if they don't keep him. I would do everything possible to keep him.

yeah, not much out there, besides the guys you mentioned, maybe Jokinen, Leino, Kopecky?

Bad year for the Habs to be looking at acquiring an impact winger via free agency, perhaps they make a trade or two?

Dobber Sports Wizard

yeah, not much out there, besides the guys you mentioned, maybe Jokinen, Leino, Kopecky?

Bad year for the Habs to be looking at acquiring an impact winger via free agency, perhaps they make a trade or two?
    Jokinen and Leino are 2nd liners like Laich but I would rather have Laich. Kopecky is more of a 3rd liner. But I think Jokinen stays with the Hurricanes.

Indeed, not a good year for that. A trade would be a smarter thing to do so they won't get too many bad contracts since they already have Gomez. Cammalleri and Gionta get too much money as well, but there are worse contracts out there. But what can they trade away? They don't have too much depth anywhere. I don't think they're giving away Leblanc, Kristo or Tinordi and others don't have much trade value. So I guess they're stuck with what they can find from the UFA market.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Habs suck :P

Re-signing Markov is a terrible idea. If they re-sign him then it better be for one year to see if this "man-of-glass" can actually crack (pun intended) an NHL roster for more than 10 games. With Subban's emergance, the Habs would be better off spending their dollars elsewhere.

Administrator

I still believe that James Wisniewski should be re-signed before Markov. But if Wiz wants to sign elsewhere then Markov is a decent fall-back option under the right contract.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Please, some clarify the two different spellings of his name that we keep seeing

Do we go with Emelin or Yemelin?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Please, some clarify the two different spellings of his name that we keep seeing

Do we go with Emelin or Yemelin?
    When in doubt, use Google Fight! http://www.googlefight.com/index.php...=Alexei+Emelin

In all seriousness, when you say it with the Y, you say it correctly (or, at least, closer to it).

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

LMAO. Thanks buddy. I have never seen that Google Fight before. Now I am going to waste the next little while playing around with that.

PS- Yemelin beat up Emelin. I like Yemelin better.

I just made a Henrik vs. Daniel Sedin Google Fight - Daniel killed Henrik
    And..... Seguin destroyed Kessel too