Thread: compared to crosby

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default compared to crosby

i think i read it somewhere that Teemu Pulkkinen's play is comparable to sidney crosby....is this at all true? what can anyone tell me about this kid....i think it was the thn that said it, if that means anything....i know that ISS was very into him as well.

Dobber Sports Stud

I don't see it. Not by a long shot. The kid has a terrific shot and quick release, and he's a decent playmaker, but Sid's vision and work ethic are unmatched by anyone playing the game. Maybe the biggest difference is that Sid's as good without the puck as he is with it... Pulkkinen, not so much.

Here's the best writeup I've seen on him. It's a bit dated (from a year ago), but expands on my comments significantly.
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Legend

Pulkkinen reminds me a bit of Bondra.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

As a Red Wings fan I love Pulkkinen, I like that comparison by fungchen3. I think he's going to be terrific, I will compare him to Selanne, not Crosby. If you are comparing Crosby to a prospect, I would write that off in a second. Just don't, Crosby is the best player in the world. Take a look at the link below for some insight on how highly the Wings think of Pulkinnen.

http://www.redwingscentral.com/prospects/
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Legend

When does Pulkkinen arrive in the Bigs though? Tatar is knocking on the door and Nyquist didn't even get a look yet.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Banned

I don't think the question is when he arrives, it's if. He dropped a ton in the draft. Ultimate boom or bust. I'm weary of him because it's not like nobody knew he didn't have skill...every single team passed on him for 3+ rounds.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    When does Pulkkinen arrive in the Bigs though? Tatar is knocking on the door and Nyquist didn't even get a look yet.
    I'll say 2-3 years.
    Big Ev, that was because of injury concerns and not much else.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Banned

Injury concerns usually don't make a legit 1st rounder drop 3-4 rounds. He was even touted as a #2 pick behind Hall at one point.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Injury concerns usually don't make a legit 1st rounder drop 3-4 rounds. He was even touted as a #2 pick behind Hall at one point.
    if there was any question about him being good enough to play in the NHL i'd say posting almost a point per playing with pros put them to rest.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP GWG W GAA SV% SHO

C: S.Crosby, E.Malkin, J.Spezza
    W: R.Nash, J.Lupul, B.Marchand, P.Mueller, A.Ladd, M.Ryder
    D: M.Green, K.Letang, K.Shattenkirk, B.Seabrook
    U: J.Carter, P.M.Bouchard
    G: J.Halak, N.Backstrom

Bench: R.Johansen, S.Couturier, B.Connolly, E.Kuznetsov, J.Colborne, V.Tarasenko, M.Zibanejad, N.Niederreiter, Z.Boychuk, R.Spooner, M.Perreault, J.Hishon, T.Pulkkinen, A.Khokhlachev, N.Kuchurov, E.Grachev, Z.Hamill, V.Sobotka, N.Filatov, J.Weal, G.Latendresse, L.Korpikoski, B.Pouliot J.Skille R.Rakhshani J.Pitkanen J.Boychuk T.Hickey J.Harding

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

So far Pulkkinen hasn't been using his talent every game. He takes games off according to Hakan Andersson, Detroit's head scout in Europe. In a recent interview he had to choose between Jarnkrok and Pulkkinen and he went with Jarnkrok because he works his tail off every single shift. Pulkkinen doesn't... yet. That's a Dick Axelsson red flag for me as a Wings fan.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd compare him to Crosby in the fact that they both play hockey and the comparison would end there. Not knocking Pulkkinen but Crosby is in a different stratosphere so there is no comparison to make.

Dobber Sports Legend

Yeah, actually comparing Pulkkinen to Crosby in terms of potential greatness, impact or accomplishment is pretty far-fetched. BUT, I will say this, no Pulkkinen-related thread title will ever be as intriguing.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    So far Pulkkinen hasn't been using his talent every game. He takes games off according to Hakan Andersson, Detroit's head scout in Europe. In a recent interview he had to choose between Jarnkrok and Pulkkinen and he went with Jarnkrok because he works his tail off every single shift. Pulkkinen doesn't... yet. That's a Dick Axelsson red flag for me as a Wings fan.
    Yeah, I've read some people from Finland who think he won't even make it to the NHL, and that he never takes his game to the next level.

I have no opinion on this guy whatsoever though, never seen him play.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I enjoyed reading these responses but i think im more conflicted now than i was prior to posting this thread..lol...but the one thing that irks me is that he wont see light of day for another 2-3 years...i wouldnt mind taking a chance on a risky skilled player, but in my pool there is no use going after someone who will take that long to play in the nhl. Just out of curiousity, Datsyiuk and Zetterberg were late round picks as well werent they? what was said about them in there draft year?? what were there strengths and weaknesses at that time ?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

No one knew who Datsyuk was and Zetterberg was too scrawny to ever make it, even though he was talented. Pretty much.
    GO WINGS!