Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Dobber and his contradicting comments

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lanky522 View Post
    P.S. I wonder how long it's going to take for the word "avatar" to make it onto the site's list of blocked words...?
    Yea seriously...I used the word "faggot" in reference to Michael Ryder a few days ago and got scolded for it by the mods...block the goddamn thing then if it's apparently such a travesty and you don't want people using it...I think Chris Pronger's a bitch as well...that's all that's meant by it what the hells the big deal....it's another thing if I called another member of the forum, who is actually gay and who i'm aware is actually gay, a faggot...then that's scold worthy no question...big difference though between the two comments and like I said if it's such a huge deal that I use the term faggot in reference to Michael Ryder then why is it not on the block list as this Forum has been around for 4 or 5 years i've been here for 2 months I can't possibly have been the first one to use it in reference to some clown player like Michael Ryder

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by MT319 View Post
    Yea seriously...I used the word "faggot" in reference to Michael Ryder a few days ago and got scolded for it by the mods...block the goddamn thing then if it's apparently such a travesty and you don't want people using it...I think Chris Pronger's a bitch as well...that's all that's meant by it what the hells the big deal....it's another thing if I called another member of the forum, who is actually gay and who i'm aware is actually gay, a faggot...then that's scold worthy no question...big difference though between the two comments and like I said if it's such a huge deal that I use the term faggot in reference to Michael Ryder then why is it not on the block list as this Forum has been around for 4 or 5 years i've been here for 2 months I can't possibly have been the first one to use it in reference to some clown player like Michael Ryder
    i dunno... just because it's not blocked doesn't mean you should use it lol.

I actually cringed a bit just reading it here... it's kinda like the "n" word... it's just such a derogatory term for it's referenced group of people that it really just makes me feel kind of awkward seeing it used so flippantly.

I don't know that the "block list" needs to be expanded... and I was joking about "avatar" being added to it lol... I'd prefer to have the freedom to post without having to figure out what i've typed that's blocked content (since it doesn't tell you what word you've typed that is inexcusable - it just gives you an error)

I think some of the onus has to be on the posters to not push the limits of appropriateness too too much.

I dunno... the word you're talking about above just doesn't really need to be on here I don't think... feel free to use "homosexual" or "gay" if you want... but that one you used is just a bit over the top (for basically the pure reason of being over the top), which is kinda unnecessary IMO...

just my 0.20 cents.
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Stud

its honestly the context in which you use the word. i used the N word in the most racist way possible and such got scolded for and rightfully so. If michael ryder was in fact gay than calling him a "faggot" is a bit much. But im pretty sure MT319 was simply using a more hateful word for ******* or cocksucker. Language is ever-changing and taboo words only carry a stigma if society allows them to. Would it be okay to call Michael Ryder a cocksucker?

EDIT: right there ass*hole was censored but not cocksucker or faggot

Banned

#1)this post was posted in the correct location: 'The Lounge (non-hockey)', so the 50-60% of people bitching about how they come here solely to read about hockey should put their money where their mouth is and stick to the hockey-only forums or stfu sorry, if this isn't a topic you care about or believe is worth discussion then wtf are you doing reading it and/or commenting on it? Is Dutch a shit disturber? Absolutely, but you don't have to read him and you certainly don't have to comment on his threads if you REALLY feel as you claim to.

#2)the vast majority of you clearly have no clue how the internet actually works... how fickle and dynamic it can be, especially with regard to social media and interaction, which is believe it or not what these forums are all about. Without posting a whole thesis on the topic, forums such as these are modern day 'communities' that share a myriad of traits with their real-world counterparts and as such they have to be respected and recognized for what they are...think of the personalities that make these forums unique and you'll soon realize what I'm talking about...Dobber is the chief, the dispenser of fantasy mana for the masses (the guides, the ramblings, etc), Shoeless, the respected elder with more posts than anyone, the mods are the cops (mostly good cops) who police us...many of the others here (too many to count but you know who they are) are the sages and wise men of the community dispensing wisdom and advice. Then there are the smartasses and jokers, philosophers, artists, poets, trolls, junkies, freaks, gurus and many many more. Its these diverse and fascinating personalities as a whole that make this community great, its not Dobber's bottom line, its not boobies (whether you are for or against), its not some bullshit hivemind mentality, its an organic community of people who share a common bond in hockey. So treat it as such, do not idly dismiss the contributions of ANYONE in this community without careful thought and recognize that the most important factor to the success and longevity of both Dobber himself and this community is cultivating an environment where there is equality, freedom of expression and openness. I've watched dozens of online communities rise and fall, (often within a matter of months) and the cause of failure tends to be either from being too heavy handed or too permissive, as in most things a balance is ideal and more important even than that is to allow those on either side of a decision to speak their mind and air their grievances. Don't underestimate what we have here gentlemen, its quite a gift and should be recognized as such
    Last edited by mister_mcgoo; December 24, 2010 at 1:37 AM.

Dobber Sports Icon

Will someone please close this ****ing thread?
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Nichushkin, Batherson, Sharangovich
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei, Forsling
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, But, G.Perreault, Morrow, Perunovich, Nikishin