Thread: Salak or JDD?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Salak or JDD?

Hey GG

Who would you rather own in a keeper points only for W & SO,
    Salak or JDD?

How many starts do you see JDD getting next season in Edmonton. Can he get enough W's to be fantasy worthy?

As for Salak do you think he will be in the NHL by 2011-12? With Vokoun's UFA next season do you see the Panthers signing another veteran or giving Salak a chance or will it be Markstrom?

I currently own JDD but have a chance to pick uo Salak.

Thanks

The King of Diatribes

Hmm this is a really good question.

Keeper ... points only for wins and shutouts.

I think it would help if I knew the composition of your team, but without knowing for sure, I'll say Deslauriers. He has more opportunity, already has wins under his belt, is coming off a strong, surprisingly good season. Khabibulin is at the tail end of his career, is going to have injury or stamina issues again next season (at least to some degree) and hasn't played in forever. So for instant gains, JDD is the way to go.

Salak, albeit one of my favorite prospects right now, still has a lot of questions surrounding his future. Depends on where Markstrom goes, where Cheverie ends up and if the Panthers can move Clemmensen's salary. Don't expect him to play in the NHL for at least another year...but long-term Salak could turn into a more legitimate starter than Deslauriers. He has that potential.

Regardless, I'd go with JDD.

I'm going to say that, even if Khabibulin is healthy for next year, JDD still plays 30 games. I would imagine he could start anywhere between 30 at the lowest and 50-55 at the most, depending on Khabibulin's health. And yes, he will win enough games to be fantasy worthy. Edmonton next year could be this year's Avalanche - a good draft pick and some more solid defense will make the goaltending that much better.

And yes, 2011-12 season is totally realistic for Salak to break into the NHL for good!!

If you currently own JDD with the chance to pick up Salak, pass it up. Many times you have the chance to pick up a highly-touted prospect, but you have a good one that is more timely right now in JDD. Stick to your guns and it will pay off!!!!

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks GG. Awesome answer.

Confirmed what my gut was telling me. You are right. Sometimes we get swayed by the shiny new toy when the one right under our nose is as good or better, or at least serves the immediate purpose.
    I'll be keeping JDD.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

The King of Diatribes

Most of the time in these situations it's not always the actual goalie in question that matters, but the goalies around them.

Salak is who he is.

But where Markstrom, Cheverie, Clemmensen, Plante end up -- and more importantly how they perform -- will obviously have a big influence on Salak and his overall development.

JDD proved this season he's a legit starter if he continues to play well and improve. He has a lot of assets that I've discussed on here over the last year. But how Khabibulin looks in camp is really the only thing hindering him from being the starter. Good move IMO to hold onto JDD.