Thread: Would you do this deal considering my situation?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Would you do this deal considering my situation?

I have been offered his E.Staal and Hedman for my Tavares.

My league allows for 6 carry-overs, plus a max of 7 players who have never started a scoring period under the age of 23.
    Currently I have Crosby, Kopitar, Ryan, Weber, Ward, Fleury as my projected 6 carry-overs. I have Tavares, Duchene, PBerglund, Benn, Frolik, EJohnson, SMason as my additional 7.

A few things I'm pondering...
    1) How good is Tavares going to be? How many more points per year than Staal will he get when he gets going in a few years? Is he a stud I shouldn't let go of?

2) Taking on Staal now will mean I will have to move one of my other 6 eligible carry-overs. I am counting Ryan in their because we need to start 3C and 6W each week and I've gotta take a chance that he'll become a solid W in a few years.

3) Hedman would be nice to have in the stall, but is he worth the problems that I have pointed out in #1 and #2?

4) How close do people think Duchene will be to Tavares when they hit their prime? I'm very stocked at C in my young 7, but having 2 potential very good centres (Duchene and Berglund) may not pay off as quality C's are plentiful and often thrown back in the draft.

The Great One

I would ACCEPT that deal.

Although I don't know what a "plus a max of 7 players who have never started a scoring period under the age of 23" really means.

Dobber Sports Expert

I don't like it that much, but it's good enough. You get two players, but in your league you don't need to many additional players, but you need the best ones, and Staal is very good

the "plus a max of 7..." means that when we draft a player we can stash him away on a reserves list (that cannot be more than 7 in size) and carry him over in addition to our 6 carryovers.

Dobber Sports Giant

I like the trade for this year, but in the long run, the trade looks more like Tavares-Ryan for Staal-Hedman (since you will have to fit in Staal in your 6 instead of Ryan and Hedman will take Tavares' spot)... Not a fan of the long-term scenario

I say hold on to Tavares... Maybe not the next Crosby, but a better option better than Staal. As for Hedman, try to acquire him for a 1 on 1...
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Cooley, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Neighbours, Reichel, Holloway
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Icon

Always depends on scoring categories among other factors, so we have limited information to go by to address your question. For example, what is the relative value of Dmen to forwards (e.g., more points for D goals?), of Cmen to wingers, is it a standard league with PIM?

Depending on these factors, presumably you would take Staal and boot out Ryan, and then you would add Hedman as one of your 7-plus guys and boot out Benn or (less likely) Berglund.

Staal has scored 100 points in this league, AS A 22 YEAR OLD! He is extremely durable, having played all but 1 game in his 5 year career. He is a lock to get you a PPG for the rest of his career, or very close to it. He is a highly coveted centerman. Tavares might achieve those numbers, and probably will, but the amount by which Tavares might surpass the numbers doesn't justify NOT taking Hedman and Staal for him.

Hedman, he'll be your no 1 D ahead of Weber and EJ as soon as next year, in my opinion.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

good to hear the variety of opinions... Rotis league w. G A P PPG PPA +/-
    plenty of good D were left unprotected this past league (which makes me think I only need to have EJ on the farm) and wingers are at a premium. He also has Giroux who is stashed away... maybe I should try to work him into the deal?